Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Nice.
    Thanks for the gas port shim. Quick and easy install. Works like a charm!

I still think the best gas system--at least for this length barrel--is likely to be some type of stretched pistol or short carbine or something. But in the meantime the .063 shim seems to be doing the trick.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 06-09-17 at 14:58.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a bit of data for CFE BLK. All rounds fired from 1X7 twist 12.5in barrel 10ft from chrono. Five rounds of each fired for data.

Mixed headstamp brass. S&B small rifle primer.

150gr Federal Fusion. 9.8gr CFE BLK
    1041.8 fps average
    38.91 standard deviation
    1084 hi
    1000 lo

90gr Speer TNT. 23.3 gr CFE BLK
    2347.2 average
    41.23 standard deviation
    2413 hi
    2311 lo

110gr Sierra Pro Hunter. 21.7gr CFE BLK
    2149.0 average
    36.38 standard deviation
    2205 hi
    2104 lo

Primers look good in all cases but use this data at your own risk!

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-09-17 at 17:14.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just for curiosity I fired two of my Sierra 110 grain Pro Hunter loads into gel yesterday.

Penetration was extreme and expansion was nonexistent. Not surprising given the low muzzle velocity.

This may be the closest thing to an FMJ available. That is unless Remington releases another batch of their 6.8 FMJ's.

I guess I'm not surprised by the results but I was expecting at least some expansion.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    just wanted to say thanks for the updates - I've been following this thread & appreciate the info!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I took a few rounds loaded with Nosler bonded 90gr, Nosler 85gr E Tip and 90gr Gold Dot to the range today. No chrono numbers because the chrono battery is dead.

Accuracy seems about the same with all three of these bullets. Five shot groups from 100 yards are probably averaging somewhere around two or two and a half inches.

Best accuracy seems to be with the Speer TNT although the 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter is also showing promise.

Here is an example of what the TNT will do. This is five rounds from a crossed ankle seated position from 50 yards with my sling cinched up a little.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More gel photos for you guys.

Here is the 90gr Nosler Bonded loaded with CFE BLK. Impact velocities were 2342 & 2321 feet per second. Again showing 22in of penetration in 10% clear gel. Expansion is right at half an inch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For comparison I have the 90gr Speer Gold Dot with the same charge of CFE BLK. Impact velocities recorded as 2286 & 2393 fps. 17in of penetration for the slightly higher muzzle velocity. The lower one penetrated about an inch less.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Expansion from both bullets was quite impressive as was retained weight, etc. Either would likely make a very good hunting or defense bullet with the nod going to the Nosler since it is readily available.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And here are two recovered bullets. The one on the left is the Speer bullet.

Expanded diameter for the Gold Dot is .65in while the Nosler is about half an inch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been playing with both CFE BLK and LT-30 with a 150gr bullet for subsonic. I've been pleased with the results especially given the fact that I'm using inexpensive pulled bullets.

Both powders have been working well for the most part. Loads have been quiet and fairly accurate at the 1000-ish feet per second. LT-30 is an extruded powder but it is small and meters okay.

I did bump up the gas port from .063in to. 065in because I had a couple issues with the bolt occasionally not locking open. It looks like .065 is the way to do. About 100 rounds fired now with no issues...

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast