Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I haven't looked that deep yet but I suppose I could take all my Blackout brass and make .277 WLV out of it...? I can always get more BLK brass. get
    I don't know if anyone has sized 300BLK into 277WLV but I don't think it'll work. There's just too much difference in length.

Fortunately there are a number of people who will process 223 into 277. One source is

http://www.brassmonkeycc.com

He doesn't list 277 on his site but he does have the ability to convert 223 including annealing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I hope it picks up. I was pretty much sold on a 300blk upper for later this year - to run mainly suppressed, but this seems like its a little better at everything. I might just be buying dies and building one - I do like the off the shelf availability of 300blk right now, but if that changes (especially subs) this seems like the way to go.
    I think I've posted this link before.

http://www.jbsfirearms.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1831

JB is selling a few different 277 loads to include new ammo loaded with Starline brass and new (not pull down) 90 grain Speer Gold Dot bullets.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Oops. Yeah, stands to reason the case will be longer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have my upper put together with the new PDW gas tube barrel. Same 12.5" length as the old one just with a slightly longer gas tube.

I have a BRT .076" port installed. Nothing is Lok-Tited down yet just in case.

I guess I should have taken a photo of both barrels while they were out. Didn't think about it until I was already about done getting the barrels swapped out.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have my upper put together with the new PDW gas tube barrel. Same 12.5" length as the old one just with a slightly longer gas tube.

I have a BRT .076" port installed. Nothing is Lok-Tited down yet just in case.

I guess I should have taken a photo of both barrels while they were out. Didn't think about it until I was already about done getting the barrels swapped out.

Looks good.

Let us know how she runs!
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Let us know how she runs!
    Will do!

Unfortunately not until this weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I took my new upper out yesterday and ran a few rounds of subsonic and subsonic/suppressed through it.

With the .076" port insert the rifle would eject but not feed. Drilling to .078 seemed to make no noticeable difference. Additional drilling to .081 didn't get me where I wanted either.

Rather than continue to try different bits I decided to just drill the insert to .089 to match the barrel's gas port. Now the uppers appears to be gassed about right with subsonic. It will function properly suppressed but won't lock the bolt open unsuppressed.

My plan now is to try and shoot the gun with a good variety of ammo/bullet weights to include supersonic/suppressed. If I have any issues then I might see about buying a .08X insert to tame things down just a bit. For now I'm hoping the gun will be gassed about right.

Edit to note that I'm using a VLTOR A5 H2 buffer and 150gr ammo running 1050fps.

Last edited by Tokarev; 03-12-18 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Where the 277 shines is with 90 grain to 100 grain bullets. The small case capacity really does a good job with velocity. On paper it looks like the 277 rivals the 6.8 with 90 to 100 grain bullets. Available reloading data says the Wolverine is running to within 90% or so of what the SPC will do.
    90% sounds good huh until you figure out 90% means 200fps slower. Doesn't sound that good when you say it like that. Facts are good as long as both being compared use the same weight bullets, same length barrels run at the same peak pressure. Exaggerating the performance of one handloaded and comparing it to factory ammo of another would not be fair. Seems there is lots of that going on across boards here lately.
    Hype and fanboys are normal, after a bunch of people get the product they find out the truth kind of like the guys migrating away from the BO after they find out it really doesn't drop hogs that well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anything crammed into the existing AR upper and lower is going to be a trade off. Same with necking the 223 up or down. There is only so much that can be done with the parent case.

On the plus side the Wolverine retains 100% of the parent magazine capacity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's something I'm eager to try.

This is a Berger 170gr BTHP and I think it will work quite well in the subsonic role. It is long but still should leave a good amount of powder space.

277WLV isn't at its best in the subsonic format and probably can't run with the 300BLK in that regard I suppose. But I can't imagine a 170gr match bullet at 1,050 fps is really going to be less effective, terminally, that a 220gr SMK. Either will probably ice pick whenever they're shot into. Or maybe they will tumble after 5 or 6 inches? I might have to try one of these in gel.

Anyway, I have been pretty happy loading 150gr round nose for cheap subsonic shooting. I'm hoping the Berger is a whole lot more accurate.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast