Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    They will LeapFrog that performance increase. Or will wait till they can.
    From what I recall of 5.56 history one of the requirements for a military cartridge was that it be able to pierce a piece of 1/8" steel plate at 500 yards. This was one of the reasons for the creation of the 223 Remington over the earlier 222 Rem.

Here we are sixty years later and the US is still trying to find that "intermediate" cartridge that offers good long range performance without a significant recoil or weight penalty. Will we finally get there? Interesting times ahead...
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I think a 6.5 could work and would would be best with 90-110 gr projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    One thing I wonder though, why 6.8 instead of 6.5? So far, the only 6.5 round in the 5.56 case I've seen is the 6.5 PCC, and that has too short a neck and shoulder. I figure if you neck the .277 WLV down to 6.5, you'd get a round with better external ballistics and very similar terminal ballistics in the same weight bullets.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That old graphic reminded me to do an updated one.

Nice. Are you running a 277? What barrel twist and length?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No, just the other two variants and 556 gets far more action.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Nice. Are you running a 277? What barrel twist and length?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    @Tokarev

Thank you for this extensive and detailed write up! I binge read the whole thread.... Went from knowing nothing about .277 to wanting it quite badly.

I'm looking at a 12.5" as well. How would you say recoil feels vs. 5.56?

And what has muzzle flash been like? Seems like .277 is more optimized towards maybe a 16"-ish barrel so I'm hoping not as much unburnt powder like there is on 5.56.

Thanks again and awesome work!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wileecoyote View Post
    How would you say recoil feels vs. 5.56?
    Recoil is slightly more than 5.56 but really nothing noticeable. Sharper and quicker maybe but that's probably as much to do with the shorter gas tubes as anything else. I haven't messed with a 16" gun and 1x11 twist but something like that might be more similar to 5.56 in terms of overall feel.

Subs are a different animal. Being pretty anemic by nature they really don't have much recoil impulse even with the increased mass of the bullet.

And what has muzzle flash been like? Seems like .277 is more optimized towards maybe a 16"-ish barrel so I'm hoping not as much unburnt powder like there is on 5.56.
    I haven't done much of anything with 277 in the dark. But, from shooting in a poorly lit indoor range, it is nothing terrible. Maybe a quick flash just in front of the flash hider. That's with an AAC 51T.

Again, I haven't messed with 16-18" barrels for the WLV but users are reporting some pretty surprising results in terms of velocity and accuracy. If top speeds are what you're interested in you'll probably be happier going that route.

Another one you might be interested in if you're chasing velocity is the 6mm Mongoose. This is another 223 based wildcat. Similar in idea to the 277 Wolverine but without the supersonic/subsonic dual aspect.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for input, much appreciated! 12.5" seems to be about the magic size for me, it's short enough to be handy but long enough to not give up too much velocity. This round really ticks the boxes for me as I can only shoot supersonic in my state. Well I mean no suppressors. It has near 6.8 velocity out to any reasonable range I would shoot, good projectiles and compatible with all the 5.56 stuff. It really is a brilliant cartridge.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It really is a brilliant cartridge.
    Do you hand load? If not, there are probably some better options. 6.8 SPC, 300 BLK. Even 25-45 Sharps if you're wanting more "oomph" but don't have the ability to cut your own brass and/or load your own ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m getting about 1 MOA with my 18” barrel. Hand loads only with 90 gr pushing 2800 fps. I need to play around with it. Haven’t shot it in a year.
    I would like to try a 12.5” because the 18” and suppressor make for a long gun in the field hunting.
    The pigs I’ve shot with 277 wolverine have all had the same fate as me using 300 blkout and 556 but I hunt close range (10-50 yards with NVG). I’m sure this cartridge will shine at long ranges compared to the other two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    I would like to try a 12.5” because the 18” and suppressor make for a long gun in the field hunting.
    I'm not hunting with mine but wanted 12.5" as sort of a do-it-all-length. Enough barrel to get some velocity but also short enough to be somewhat handy with my suppressor attached.

Browsing the MDWS website it looks like the 12.5" barrel has been dropped from the lineup in favor of either shorter or longer barrels. I suppose, as often happens with 12.5" barrels, sales are quite limited. It seems people either want as short as they can get or stay at 16+. Not much left for "intermediate" short stuff.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast