Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    One important limitation with both 6x45 and 6mm Mongoose is the overall case length, of 1.76" and 1.70" respectively.

This limits use of long ogive, heavy projectiles.

By contrast, the newer 24 Nosler and 6mm ARC have case lengths of 1.60" and 1.49" respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I don't know what the point of the 6mm Mongoose would be. I think the 6mm/223 already kind of fills that niche.

One thing I wonder about for the .277 Wolverine though, with Sig coming out with these new steel base cartridges that can supposedly handle higher pressures, would it be possible for the Wolverine to be loaded hotter so that it reaches 6.8 SPC ballistics or better?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    One important limitation with both 6x45 and 6mm Mongoose is the overall case length, of 1.76" and 1.70" respectively.

This limits use of long ogive, heavy projectiles.

By contrast, the newer 24 Nosler and 6mm ARC have case lengths of 1.60" and 1.49" respectively.
    Yes. It might be an interesting experiment to shorten a 223 case to 1.5 or 1.6 and see how it'll work with long heavy 243 bullets although case capacity may be too low to really get much out of it.

JD Jones did a 6mm Whisper back in the day but I really know nothing about it other than it existed.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's something I pulled off the Hodgdon website. 6mm/223 loaded with a 100gr bullet and shot from a 24" barrel.

Note the OAL is too long for an AR15 magazine.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    My 12.5" 277 WLV is very pleasant to shoot with my buddy Dave's handloads.
    I'd like to see Constructor make 6mm ARC barrels as I've been very happy with the ones I have in 6.5G and 224V.
    The POF Revolution DIs and Rogue really redefine power to weight ratio in the AR platform.
    I have a lot of customization planned for my Rogue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by badkarmaiii View Post
    My 12.5" 277 WLV is very pleasant to shoot with my buddy Dave's handloads.
    I'd like to see Constructor make 6mm ARC barrels as I've been very happy with the ones I have in 6.5G and 224V.
    The POF Revolution DIs and Rogue really redefine power to weight ratio in the AR platform.
    I have a lot of customization planned for my Rogue.
    Constructor had the idea of the 277 WLV quite awhile ago but never did much with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thankfully, Mark was able to popularize it. The Wolverine is a great cartridge in the AR 15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by badkarmaiii View Post
    Thankfully, Mark was able to popularize it. The Wolverine is a great cartridge in the AR 15.
    Popularize is a relative term.

Much more going on with 6ARC at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Popularize is a relative term.

Much more going on with 6ARC at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Two different cartridges, really. The 6 ARC is more a competitor to the 6.5 Grendel while the 277 is more akin to the 300 Blackout.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Two different cartridges, really. The 6 ARC is more a competitor to the 6.5 Grendel while the 277 is more akin to the 300 Blackout.

Oh yes, I agree. I'm just pointing out the relativism of popularity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Oh yes, I agree. I'm just pointing out the relativism of popularity.
    Plus the 6 ARC has true industry support. Multiple sources for dies. Brass, ammo, load data (that's SAAMI approved) from Hornady. I assume Federal/Vista will be bringing ammo to market next year. I'm actually surprised Starline isn't already making brass. Barrels from several sources.

277 WLV has an active fan base that has been able to "con" Starline and Hornady into making brass but there's still no real loading data. Barrels are out there as are dies but they aren't available from Graf's, Powder Valley, etc.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast