Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Speaking of SAAMI I wonder if any progress has been made on that front. Also, someone in Germany (IIRC) was working on getting the 277 approved by CIP. I assume nothing came of this either.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Plus the 6 ARC has true industry support. Multiple sources for dies. Brass, ammo, load data (that's SAAMI approved) from Hornady. I assume Federal/Vista will be bringing ammo to market next year. I'm actually surprised Starline isn't already making brass. Barrels from several sources.

277 WLV has an active fan base that has been able to "con" Starline and Hornady into making brass but there's still no real loading data. Barrels are out there as are dies but they aren't available from Graf's, Powder Valley, etc.
    Con is a bit harsh. Was Hornady conned into making 6 Hagar brass for competitors?

When you have a simple neck up or neck down for non-factory loads, I really see almost no difference to most handloaders.

In my case, 223/5.56 to 257Ocelot is an easy one. Oh my, no Starline brass! What will I do?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Con is a bit harsh.
    No disrespect meant to Mad Dog Weapons.

Mark Kexel did alot of marketing work to get the interest up to the level that Starline would make cases. Not sure how he got Hornady into it as well but kudos to him in both regards.

I have used the Starline but the majority of the cases I'm using are converted 223 I either bought or chopped and sized myself. I have not used the Hornady.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's a similar wildcat cartridge called the 6.8 Badger. It is also 223 based.

Case length is kept to a max with the of optimizing the cartridge for supersonic performance only. No ability to load 150+ for subsonic here. The numbers generated seem pretty impressive. 3,000FPS with 90gr bullets from a 20in barrel and 2,600FPS from a 10.5in barrel.

The drawback is mag fitment. Being that the shoulder is moved forward, the 6.8 won't stack properly in standard M16 mags. Reports are that it works fine in the 300BLK PMAGs as well as similar mags that are made for 300BLK as well as mags for the 300 HAM'R and others.

No personal experience with this new wildcat but I can see the appeal.

277 WLV on the left compared to the Badger:

64863698_447611306038978_4918061527598104576_n.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting!

Personally, with the 223/556 case capacity, I'm still thinking a Quarterbore or 6mm variant is the sweet spot but, I'm pretty firmly in the 6.8SPC camp for 277 and 30 options.

I should note that I have seriously thought about the 7.62x40WT and 300 H'AMR but, it is hard to argue with pressure and capacity of the 6.8 cases! That being said, both of those and the Wolverine have a strong case for most users and what they hunt with them!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Interesting!

Personally, with the 223/556 case capacity, I'm still thinking a Quarterbore or 6mm variant is the sweet spot but, I'm pretty firmly in the 6.8SPC camp for 277 and 30 options.

I should note that I have seriously thought about the 7.62x40WT and 300 H'AMR but, it is hard to argue with pressure and capacity of the 6.8 cases! That being said, both of those and the Wolverine have a strong case for most users and what they hunt with them!
    What's your take on the 25-45 sharps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

...with the 223/556 case capacity, I'm still thinking a Quarterbore or 6mm variant is the sweet spot...
    There is the 6mm Mongoose if you want to mess with .243 in an 223 case. Actually, from what I'm reading, the 6.8 Badger is a 6mm Mongoose necked up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    What's your take on the 25-45 sharps?
    Good marketing and a reasonable cartridge but, I'm more of a .257 Ocelot guy myself. The Ocelot is a bit cheaper and a tiny bit better but, I'm not going to get all excited by one over the other as they are close enough to be fraternal twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    There is the 6mm Mongoose if you want to mess with .243 in an 223 case. Actually, from what I'm reading, the 6.8 Badger is a 6mm Mongoose necked up.
    The Mongoose is well-liked by those that use it but, to me it doesn't offer enough difference to slot it between a good 223/5.56 or and the Ocelot. That being said, it is a good cartridge but, I prefer a bit more bore diameter.

I don't own a 30/06 either but, I do own two 338/06's!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good marketing and a reasonable cartridge but, I'm more of a .257 Ocelot guy myself. The Ocelot is a bit cheaper and a tiny bit better but, I'm not going to get all excited by one over the other as they are close enough to be fraternal twins.

The Mongoose is well-liked by those that use it but, to me it doesn't offer enough difference to slot it between a good 223/5.56 or and the Ocelot. That being said, it is a good cartridge but, I prefer a bit more bore diameter.

I don't own a 30/06 either but, I do own two 338/06's!
    One thing I was always going to mess with was a 338 06. A local pawn shop had a Ruger M77 some months back that had been rebarreled. Down side was the barrel was a fairly thick profile and the stock was equally beefy. The darn thing must have weighed 10 pounds. Pleasant to shoot no doubt but not something I want to carry in the mountains.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I keep coming back to the thought that the 6x45 looks pretty good. It will push heavier bullets than the 5.56 at decent velocities and basically requires a simple neck-up operation to form cases. I know it doesn't have a cool name, but still...

I just cannot get behind the idea of any rounds between the 6x45 and 300 BO when we have larger capacity cases that work in an AR (6.8 SPC or 6.5 G).

Admittedly, 40 years of being intested in guns leaves a person a little jaded when it comes to the next new hotness round.

Andy

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast