Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Looks about perfect.

Normally, VMAXs tend to fragment, but it looks like they held together nicely at the lower velocity.

IMO, the 90 grain Gold Dot bullets are ideal for the 277.

They are shown to expand nicely down to ~1650 fps.
    Too bad the 90gr Gold Dots are unobtainable.

Nosler has a 90gr bonded 6.8 bullet that is supposed to be good down to 1600. It is pretty stubby though and doesn't look like it'll feed very well.

Barnes' TTSX might work. It has a minimum expansion velocity of 1700gps.

And Cavity Back Bullets has a 95gr that will supposedly open up at only 1400fps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...public-domain/

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a 277 Wolverine loaded to 2.18in using a Speer 90gr TNT compared to a 300 Blackout loaded with a Speer 125gr TNT at 2.06in OAL.

Note the additional powder capacity of the Wolverine over the Blackout. Also, in theory at least, the Wolverine should be more accurate since the bullet doesn't have to be set so far into the magazine in order to stack properly.

Feedback Score
    I have a lot invested in 5.56 but I have a 16" 6.8SPC I bought years ago. I almost never shoot it but it truly does a number on pigs so I keep it around. I'm new to the 300BLK but I keep a suppressed 9" BCM in the corner for HD. All that said this one really interests me. I don't reload yet but I have a metric shit ton of once used 5.56 brass. One more caliber, just one more caliber and I'll quit............
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shot my first few batches of reloads yesterday at 100 yards. I tried a couple different loads with Speer 90gr TNT, Sierra 110gr Pro Hunters and Nosler 100gr Accubond. Powders used were Accurate 1680 and Alliant 1200R.

All groups were fired prone with a small sandbag rest. Optic used was an EOTECH with a 3x magnifier. Barrel is a pistol gas 12.5in 1x7 twist.

The Speer TNT seemed to be the most accurate with a couple groups of five shots coming in at about 1.5in. My 1680 load is running about 2350fps while the 1200R load is running just a tad slower. 1200R seems to be showing flatter primers so it might not be a good choice. At least not with the lighter bullets.

One complaint is that the system seems badly over-gassed with a VLTOR A5 H2 buffer. I'll probably have to use an H3 or possibly even heavier buffer. But I still need to try some subsonic stuff too before I make too many changes to the gun.

Recoil is kind of sharp and quick which I imagine is pretty standard for pistol gas.

Well, that's about all for now. I'll hopefully have a bit more info later this coming week.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I shot my first few batches of reloads yesterday at 100 yards. I tried a couple different loads with Speer 90gr TNT, Sierra 110gr Pro Hunters and Nosler 100gr Accubond. Powders used were Accurate 1680 and Alliant 1200R.

All groups were fired prone with a small sandbag rest. Optic used was an EOTECH with a 3x magnifier. Barrel is a pistol gas 12.5in 1x7 twist.

The Speer TNT seemed to be the most accurate with a couple groups of five shots coming in at about 1.5in. My 1680 load is running about 2350fps while the 1200R load is running just a tad slower. 1200R seems to be showing flatter primers so it might not be a good choice. At least not with the lighter bullets.

One complaint is that the system seems badly over-gassed with a VLTOR A5 H2 buffer. I'll probably have to use an H3 or possibly even heavier buffer. But I still need to try some subsonic stuff too before I make too many changes to the gun.

Recoil is kind of sharp and quick which I imagine is pretty standard for pistol gas.

Well, that's about all for now. I'll hopefully have a bit more info later this coming week.

It would seem to me that unlike .300blk, this round should have enough ass behind it that a pistol length gas system would be unnecessary with a 12.5" barrel.

Black Hole Weaponry even makes a hybrid gas system that's sort-of about half way between pistol and carbine for 10.5 blackout that gets rave reviews.

EDIT: 6.8SPC 12.5" barrels can be found with mid-length gas, which should give you an idea of what we're looking at here.
    Last edited by mig1nc; 04-30-17 at 06:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    It would seem to me that unlike .300blk, this round should have enough ass behind it that a pistol length gas system would be unnecessary with a 12.5" barrel.

Black Hole Weaponry even makes a hybrid gas system that's sort-of about half way between pistol and carbine for 10.5 blackout that gets rave reviews.

EDIT: 6.8SPC 12.5" barrels can be found with mid-length gas, which should give you an idea of what we're looking at here.
    Not sure if relevant but my Ko-Tonics 16in 6.8 SPCII has a middy gas system. Shoots nice and soft as you might imagine
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe the idea for the pistol gas system on this barrel is the same as on similar 300BLK barrels. To provide reliability with both supers and subs.

With that said I don't know if the barrel is ported to run subs unsuppressed. If it is that would certainty explain why I'm over-gassed with supers. While I like the idea of reliability in all scenarios I don't really have a problem with the gun not running right unsuppressed. Especially not if it means the gun is beating itself to death with supers.

It might end up being that the Wolverine will need some type of hybrid pistol/carbine system. But until such a critter exists I might have to get an SLR gas block.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-30-17 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's probably a good idea. Or get a micro moa and drill one hole for supers and one hole for subs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    That's probably a good idea. Or get a micro moa and drill one hole for supers and one hole for subs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Did MicroMOA go out of business? I can't seem to find the website.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-30-17 at 15:32.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast