Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a bit of info I found after a quick Google search:

The fire-formed .277 Wolverine case holds approximately 27.5 gr of water compared to 28.5 gr for the parent case.

Nosler lists 19.2 gr as case capacity for their 300BLK brass.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 05-10-17 at 03:18.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's quite a difference.

I really hope this round catches on, but it faces stiff headwinds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I really hope this round catches on, but it faces stiff headwinds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    As is the case with all wildcats.

Who knew this 223 fad would last so long?

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'm saying that Western Powders loaded ammo to a known pressure in a SAAMI chamber and then tested the same ammo in a SPCII chamber.

There was quite a thread on it over on 6.8 Forum some years back. Tests were done my Johan Loubser when he was ballistician for Western.

Bottom line was Western found no real performance difference between the two chambers.

Edit to insert link to some info:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

The truth about 6.8 SPC SAAMI vs SPC-II.

There is a lot more to it than some know including the guy at western. Silvers was on a mission to prove the 300 BO and make the 6.8 look worse but you have to use a little common sense when testing and reporting. They just weren't in the loop enough to know why the chamber was changed. Sure you can stick Hornady or any of the NEW ammo in either chamber and shoot it but the SPCII chamber came around in 2005 when Remington decided they would not load ammo for the military and SSA took over ammo production. SSA used 115gr copper clad bullets made by the "Extreme" ammo company. Note they were copper clad not copper jacketed. The bullets were very blunt...flat nosed. When inserted into a SAAMI chamber they were jammed into the lands which increased pressure to the point they were blowing primers. It didn't help that SSA was loading this ammo extremely hot or that the copper clad bullets were deforming on ignition. The SPCII corrected the bullet jammed into the lands issue but a transposed number on PTGs reamer drawing made a sharp 89 degree angle just in front of the case mouth which shaved copper from the copper clad bullets. Those shavings welded together and caused a restriction/clamp around the bullet when chambered.
    Sierras 115gr match bullet was also blunt and when loaded to 2.26 it caused problems. The SPCII chamber helped lower pressure with that bullet. The SPCII chamber helped improve both of those problems, it was a step forward even though PTG did not correct the 89 degree cone angle until 2009. After 2009 the SPCII chambers were correct as designed.
    Attachment 45544

As for the performance of the 277. IF it and the 6.8 are loaded to apx the same pressure the 6.8 is 150-200fps faster and a lot of that depends on the bullet weight and powder used. Just like the 6.8 if you load the bullets to a longer OAL there is more room in the case for powder and more velocity because of it. If the pressure curve is a steep spike from using fast powder the velocity depends more on max pressure. If the pressure curve is more rounded from slower burning powders the higher pressure is held for a longer period of time and benefits from the area under the curve...more velocity, less peak pressure.
    Last edited by constructor; 05-10-17 at 11:03.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So every time I think about getting an upper in a different flavor than 556, I always come back to the: 'am I really shooting a better bullet?' question? With the speed and BC of the 70gr solids and the 77gr match rounds- nothing really comes close in external ballistics until you start to talk 6.5 Grendel but you can't get reliable mags for those. Will a .277 caliber projectile really produce terminal ballistics that out weigh a loss of external ballistics?

With some context: I am talking about ~16 barrels. I certainly see why on SBR and/or suppressed the bigger bore makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 05-11-17 at 13:16.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know you're asking about 16in barrels but I'm using online data for 10.5in from both cartridges. The 70gr 5.56 data is from the Barnes published reloading data. The 95gr 277 data is from jdfirearms.com. I used the 10.5in data because the jb website doesn't list velocity for the 95gr TTSX Wolverine load from a 16in barrel.

Using Barnes' highest listed muzzle velocity of 2624fps we show muzzle energy at 1070 ft lbs for the 5.56. Using jbfirearms' specs of 2450fps we show 1267 ft lbs for the 277WLV.

And then, again using the Berger ballistics calculator we should have something like this:

5.56 chart on top
    277 chart on bottom

Using this as a guide, it would seem the two cartridges are about the same to about 350 or 400 yards. Then the 5.56's higher BC and velocity take over.

Note the energy figures too. Also pretty close with the 277 holding a slight lead.

Last edited by Tokarev; 05-11-17 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here are some great points in favor of the 6.8. Not 277WLV related per se but still somewhat relevant to the discussion I think.

https://sofrep.com/76391/5-56mm-vs-6...-keep-bad-guy/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A short video showing how the 277 Wolverine works as a hunting cartridge.

https://youtu.be/G-wIPAiHZME

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is another calculator I located while poking around the webz. This info is off the Beartooth Bullets website.

These are the Taylor KO figures for both the 70gr 5.56 and the 95gr 277WLV as used in the trajectory tables above. I used the 100yd data for these.

5.56 on top.
    277WLV on bottom.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Off the same website is a calculator for Thorniley Stopping Power.

Again I used 100 yard info for both cartridges. It appears neither is suitable for hunting larger game at this distance. At least not with a 10.5in barrel...

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast