Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Try This if you have Diabetic Neuropathy (Tingling Feet)

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Doc thanks for this info ! I just saw it the other day and took a keen interest ! This is for my Wife who has severe neuropathy in her feet ! Just to give you a ideal she stepped on a nail a week or so ago & NEVER felt it till she came in the house and took her sneaker off ! So lets just say she could use any help she can get. I will follow this thread now for sure and will be grabbing some pills for her very shortly ! I did find them online, are these something that would be in a normal drug store or a Wallmart ? Are there certain brands you would recommend or are they all pretty much the same ? Thanks for any info. Thanks again and will keep you posted on how we make out !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Doc thanks for this info ! I just saw it the other day and took a keen interest ! This is for my Wife who has severe neuropathy in her feet ! Just to give you a ideal she stepped on a nail a week or so ago & NEVER felt it till she came in the house and took her sneaker off ! So lets just say she could use any help she can get. I will follow this thread now for sure and will be grabbing some pills for her very shortly ! I did find them online, are these something that would be in a normal drug store or a Wallmart ? Are there certain brands you would recommend or are they all pretty much the same ? Thanks for any info. Thanks again and will keep you posted on how we make out !
    Magnesium Citrate usually has to be purchased from a health food store or Amazon.com. Goldenseal ditto.

An update on Goldenseal: I immediately noticed I don't suffer from thirst all day long, and I don't urinate as much, so it must be doing something. I perceived a slight tendency toward looser bowel movements when I first started it, but not so much now. That may have been due to something I ate or drank and not the Goldenseal.

Read up on Goldenseal. Some sources claim it's as good as a prescription diabetes drug.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Sounds good. If I remember correctly you should get some mild relief before that. If in 2-3 months you don't notice any difference then you probably need to up the dose. I had to go from one pill a day to two because the initial benefit wasn't good enough. I've been taking it for about a year now and only in the last couple-three months have I noticed a dramatic difference.
    It's been right at five months since I started with magnesium citrate and D3, so I thought I'd report in and let y'all know how it's going. The best way to put it is that the jury is still out. I "think" my feet have become a little easier to live with over the last part of the summer, but the change, if any, has been very, very gradual. There haven't been any "ah ha" moments in which I've noticed a distinct difference...just a sort of underlying thought that maybe they don't burn/tingle as much as they did a few months ago. I don't know if my progress qualifies as "mild relief," but it's enough to encourage me to keep going.

I made a commitment to continue this for one year and caught no flack from my doc. I've been taking one tablet twice daily (morning and night with other meds), so I have no real plans to change the dosage. I am thinking about combining both tablets and taking them together at night. I'm going to stick with it and will try to report back more frequently if anyone is interested.

Thanks Doc Glockster!!!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    I I am thinking about combining both tablets and taking them together at night. I'm going to stick with it and will try to report back more frequently if anyone is interested.
    If you do that, please report any changes, including if it causes loose bowel issues.

I will say that "Once in a while" I notice a little tingling return and on those days I'll take an extra dose at lunch and that usually kills it.

Thanks Doc Glockster!!!
    No prob. Share the knowledge.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-05-17 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    So, I got actual lab results today.

My cholesterol was good. Ditto Triglycerides. My A1-C was just barely into the diabetic range--like by ONE notch. Seriously. ONE notch. The doctor's exact words were (paraphrasing), "If you just lose a little weight and exercise more you will end up forgetting you even have diabetes. "

The only area where I was starkly deficient was in regards to blood pressure. Mine is high. I will be taking Losartan now.

So, did the Magnesium Citrate keep my cholesterol/triglyceride/A1-C numbers lower than they might have been? Hard to say since I started supplementing with Magnesium Citrate a long, long time before I actually went to a doctor for real numbers. I started taking Mg for neuropathy symptoms and continued when it helped. Maybe my numbers would be worse without the Mg?

Logically, I'm in my mid-fifties, slightly overweight, eat poorly, drink too much, get too little exercise (believe it or not I mostly drive around the ranch), and in general live more like Keith Richards than Richard Simmons.

My take: Except for the blood pressure (which I now take real meds for), I'm thinking my other numbers should have been horrible. They were actually a pleasant surprise.

I am not going to give you an interpretation (since I'm not a doctor), but if you read the benefits of Magnesium Citrate on Examine.com you will see what COULD BE happening here:

https://examine.com/supplements/magnesium/

I'm of the opinion that continuing to supplement with Magnesium Citrate is at least worth the money spent on a bottle of pills. The virtual elimination of neuropathy symptoms ALONE make it worth the purchase price. Full disclosure: I know another gentleman who takes Lyrica for neuropathy and he is what he describes as "borderline diabetic." So the question is whether Magnesium Citrate might actually reduce one's A1-C or or not. I like to think it does. I was betting I'd be put on diabetic meds today, but the doctor said it wasn't necessary.

I plan to continue to supplement with Goldenseal (berberine) as well, since the more I read the more I conclude that some really smart people are looking into it being a good alternative to Metformin.

As always, I'M NOT A DOCTOR. This information is for your consideration only.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If any of y'all run into trouble tolerating oral Mg supplements, I'd suggest giving topical Magnesium Oil a try. I get the squirts even looking at a Magnesium Citrate pill, but I tolerate topical Magnesium Oil with no issues.

The name is odd, because it's not an oil at all...Just a highly saturated aqueous solution of MgCl. It does sort of fell oily on the skin, though.

I don't have diabetes or any neuro conditions, but I've been using it to help sleep and to control muscle cramping in my legs while I sleep. Seems pretty effective!

I've been happy with the Ancient Minerals brand. You can get it on Amazon...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've found the best cure for the sugars neuropathy is to not end up as a massively obese diabetic to begin with.

Diet and exercise has always been a highly successful combination for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I've found the best cure for the sugars neuropathy is to not end up as a massively obese diabetic to begin with.

Diet and exercise has always been a highly successful combination for me.

Seriously, you're going there?

There are a lot of diabetics who are not massively obese.

Age has a lot to do with it too. I don't know how old you are but just because you are healthy right now doesn't mean you can't develop something later.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Seriously, you're going there?

There are a lot of diabetics who are not massively obese.

Age has a lot to do with it too. I don't know how old you are but just because you are healthy right now doesn't mean you can't develop something later.
    1. Diet
    2. Exercise
    3. Profit

Feedback Score
    UPDATE:

I'm discontinuing my use of Goldenseal unless I confirm it's not the culprit. Lately I've had a bout with diarrhea and urgent needs to run to the bathroom to do number two.

Facts:

1. My doctor says there is an intestinal virus going around that lasts a week or more.
    2. I've only been taking Goldenseal for a couple of months, and recently started taking Losartan
    3. I've had two bouts with diarrhea lasting more than a couple of days, with a break of a few days in between bouts
    4. The breaks in diarrhea coincidentally occurred when I suspended taking Goldenseal, and started up again within a few days of resuming
    5. I also take Ashwaganda, but only took one dose and it was several days before the second bout of diarrhea

Conclusions:

After my experiences, I did some reading about Goldenseal on the internet. It is VERY difficult to find in-depth information on it, since most websites tout the benefits because they are trying to sell the product. I found only scant mention of diarrhea associated with Goldenseal, but it is a possible side effect due to Goldenseal's antibiotic effect. My conclusion: there is a possiblity that this product was harming my good intestinal bacteria, leading to diarrhea.

I discontinued Goldenseal and started taking a pro-biotic. Magically in less than 24 hours my bout with diarrhea had so abruptly ceased that it surprised me.

I think it's likely that either Goldenseal can cause diarrhea if you take it regularly, or something about it interacts negatively with Losartan that creates a toxin your body tries to flush in the best way it knows how.

Either way, unless I discover some other obvious cause, I'm banning Goldenseal from further consumption.

I should point out that I never discontinued Magnesium Citrate at any time during my problems.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 10-10-17 at 16:26.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast