Page 123 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1630

Thread: What have you done to your AR(s) today?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    How well does that swivel keep the light in place? Is there some kind of locking mechanism or is it just friction from tightening the screw?
    Just the screw at the center hinge. There appears to be a captured tension nut in there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Shot one. We’re working on a 62FMJ load that works with the same zero as 68gr Hornady Frontier.

Edit: what I mean is same POI at 200m for training purposes.
    Last edited by 1168; 04-26-20 at 04:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Astigmatism?

I have an aimpoint pro, it looks like a cross between a bunch of dots clustered together and a star. Certainly better with my glasses or contacts in. Still not great.

I normally only turn it up as bright as I need it, also if you look through a rear sight that can help as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yep, you know it and I had an Aimpoint Pro too. Sometimes it looked like the Delta Airlines logo.. But on a diagonal. I was just better with irons. Presently I have a DD A1a rear with a pinhead front sight post. I paint the little globe at the top gold just like the old gold bead front sights the revolver guys used. I tried a ACOG 1.5 and it was just crystal clear to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Yep, you know it and I had an Aimpoint Pro too. Sometimes it looked like the Delta Airlines logo.. But on a diagonal. I was just better with irons. Presently I have a DD A1a rear with a pinhead front sight post. I paint the little globe at the top gold just like the old gold bead front sights the revolver guys used. I tried a ACOG 1.5 and it was just crystal clear to me.
    I love the 1.5 ACOG. I’m trying to find someone to trade me one for my T1 Aimpoint. ACOGs have amazing quality glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Astigmatism?

I have an aimpoint pro, it looks like a cross between a bunch of dots clustered together and a star. Certainly better with my glasses or contacts in. Still not great.

I normally only turn it up as bright as I need it, also if you look through a rear sight that can help as well.
    Have you ever tried an prismatic optic with and etched reticle such as the Vortex Spitfire? They are great for folks with astigmatism. Plus, because of the etched reticle, if your battery goes you still have a reticle.

The problem I've seen with the 1X optics is that some have too busy a reticle. I have a 1X Burris sitting in the safe for just this reason. The Spitfire reticle suits me fine.

https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/product/view/id/1716

If you don't want to spend that cash to try one, this is a waaaay cheap one that gets good reviews:

https://monstrumtactical.com/1x-ultr...m-scope-black/

It may seem stupid to spend 85 bucks on an optic, but I'd do it as a proof on concept if I had to do it again, it is essentially a disposable optic.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Have you ever tried an prismatic optic with and etched reticle such as the Vortex Spitfire? They are great for folks with astigmatism. Plus, because of the etched reticle, if your battery goes you still have a reticle.

The problem I've seen with the 1X optics is that some have too busy a reticle. I have a 1X Burris sitting in the safe for just this reason. The Spitfire reticle suits me fine.

If you don't want to spend that cash to try one, this is a waaaay cheap one that gets good reviews:

It may seem stupid to spend 85 bucks on an optic, but I'd do it as a proof on concept if I had to do it again, it is essentially a disposable optic.
    Thanks 26Inf,
    I've picked up and looked through the Vortex at my LGS and the etched glass is the answer but it's just so huge.. The Monstrum is smaller but I'm guessing it's Chinese made [Vortex also?] and since I'm doing my best to boycott Chinese durable goods I'll have to pass, I'd rather spend the 85 bucks on ammo. I'll just save my money up and in the mean time exercise my iron sight skills

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Thanks, I have heard etched reticles can be easier to see, or is it the prizmatic vs. the LED?

I'll have to see if I can find one to look at, if I liked it im sure I could offload my PRO easily enough.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Finished one, that I decided to keep!

Was trying to sell a rifle I'd had custom built 10 years; put it up last summer. But as NOTHING was moving, and my price was going below what I had in it, I decided to sit on it after Christmas. If nothing else, just for "spare parts," rather than give it away.

Not that I COULDN'T part with it now (well, maybe 2 weeks ago) and make a PROFIT; not that I NEEDED an extra one around (I have 5). But I had pulled the old Noveske SWS rail off and sold that, and stuck a Troy VTAC tube on it, to make it more appealing for sale... and ah'llbedamned if I didn't like it BETTER in that new configuration!

Went with a lighter stock, too, and now felt much lighter & nimble than before. Plus it already had a BCM LPK. So rather than "panic," and buy... "something"... I just decided to reassemble what I already had.

What I started with.

(MOE SL stock is already installed)

Gently used T-1, M-I absolute co-witness mount, M-I sling mounts, Magpul MS4 sling, InForce TFx light, Troy BUIS, and a BCG upgrade (Rainier Arms nickel/boron, over the PSA f/a carrier I've used for ten years), and we're back in business!

Nothing too terribly exciting, but it's a better rifle NOW, than when I'd disassembled it for sale last summer! And picking up some used pieces along the way, saved me some bucks, while giving me back another whole rifle.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I like that War Wagon.

Got in FCD EMR from a vendor and EMR-C from FCD this afternoon. Did some “room clearing” drills yesterday around the house
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This morning I modified a carry handle for the Revised Improved Battle Sight Zero In order to do this you bottom out the sight at the 6/3 setting and look through the adjustment hole located on the flat in front of the rear sight, you should be able to see a small set screw - the small aperture has to be in the up position in order to see this hole. Take a 1/16 allen key and loosen the set screw do not remove the set screw. Loosening the set screw allows you to turn the bottom dial/wheel of the elevation knob, in this case, clockwise. If you have an 8/3 sight you will want to turn the knob 4 clicks clockwise, with a 6/3 sight turn the knob clockwise 8 clicks. After you've done this tighten the set screw and you are in business.

So what you have done is enabled yourself to have the rifle on at 50yards and 100yards as well as being able to use the elevation dial as it was designed for 300, 400, 500, and 600 meters.

Turning 4 clicks down (CCW) from the 6/3 setting brings you to a 50 yard zero; 6 clicks down brings you to a 100 yard zero.

Having done this I headed to the range to test the results. I zeroed using a target modified to get a 50 yard zero on a 25 yard range. I turned the sight 4 clicks CCW from the 6/3 and zeroed. Had to come down quite a bit (by raising the front sight) in order to get zeroed. Some folks may need to get a taller front sight blade, I was probably 3 or 4 clicks from needing one. I then checked my results at 50 yards. Good to go.

I'm going to digress a minute to talk about the trouble I have using iron sights. I had to have cataract surgery at an earlier age due to my reaction to a prescription steroid. When they replaced the lens in my eyes with the plastic ones, I had a choice between near vision or far, I chose far ( a freaking no-brainer for a guy who was legally blind before the surgery, why did they ask?) As a result far objects are in focus, but near objects aren't. In my case, I can somewhat accommodate for with my range Rx of .75 diopter. This makes the front sight on a pistol 'kind of' sharp and the target kind of fuzzy. With iron sights on an AR/M4 this blows. This explanation is by way of explaining my happiness with the results posted below.

My next step was going to a 100 yard bay and see if the zero was on. I moved the elevation knobs 2 more clicks CCW to the 100 yard zero. Sat down at the bench and fired 8 rounds (locked back empty) I called the third or fourth shot high, kind of used a fuzzy center hold on the 4 inch dot.

Attachment 62012

Keeping in mind that this was open sights, with nothing sharp and clear, I was pretty happy. My next step was to try it through the 0-200 aperture. Groups went to pieces, apparently the smaller aperture sharpens me up enough to kind of get on. Must be why the service rifle guys in the days of irons used diopters to decrease aperture size, huh?

http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html

Oh, well, I'm happy. Rifle used was the PSA stainless mid-length upper and PSA lower which I put together to counter Euro's running over the M4 thread. But it shoot so good I decided it was a keeper. I probably have less than 600.00 in the rifle. Oh yeah, PSA carrying handle, to.

ETA: Molon covers the RIBZO in this thread, but the pictures disappeared: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...d-Trajectories
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-27-20 at 17:34.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 123 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast