Page 86 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to your AR(s) today?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I had a 14.5 that was ejecting at about 2 o'clock with an H buffer, and was getting the occasional failure to lock open on the last round due to, I suspect, cycling so fast it was "outrunning" the magazine follower. I switched to an H2 and the gun started ejecting at around 3 o'clock and the failures to lock open seem to have stopped.
    The difference in carrier speed between those two buffers isn't enough to allow one to outrun the magazine and the other not.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The difference in carrier speed between those two buffers isn't enough to allow one to outrun the magazine and the other not.
    I'm no expert on what weight of buffer does what, but switching to the H2 was the only explanation I could come up with for why the issue resolved and the ejection angle changed. This was midway through a range session, as I had the extra H2 with me, with the same ammo too. Granted, even with the H buffer, the failures to lock weren't happening every time, but they stopped entirely with the H2....at least for now. Unless it was the ammo.
    I'd have to check my logbook but I think I was shooting Federal XM193 that day, maybe some of the rounds were hotter than usual?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was specifically addressing the speculation about outrunning the magazine. Your AR is not outrunning the magazine (unless your mag springs are in poor condition). If it was, it would be outrunning the magazine with either buffer.

Have you done a lockback check? I have yet to see excessive carrier speed alone cause failure to lock back. I've had ARs fail to lockback due to short stroking, out of spec mags, out of spec bolt catches or tolerance stacking of out of spec mags and out of spec catches.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I was specifically addressing the speculation about outrunning the magazine. Your AR is not outrunning the magazine (unless your mag springs are in poor condition). If it was, it would be outrunning the magazine with either buffer.

Have you done a lockback check? I have yet to see excessive carrier speed alone cause failure to lock back. I've had ARs fail to lockback due to short stroking, out of spec mags, out of spec bolt catches or tolerance stacking of out of spec mags and out of spec catches.
    It's been a while since this was going on since the gun in question isn't one I've been shooting a lot lately but I seem to recall doing a lock back check at the time the issue was occurring. I then fired a number of rounds one at a time and got intermittent failures to lock. Then I changed the buffer and the issues stopped. I could be misremembering though, so I've gotta check my notes from that day and see if I wrote anything relevant. I'm at work so my logbook isn't handy. I'll check what I actually wrote when I get home though because now I'm curious.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, right now I'm trying to find two barrels I bought sometime back so I can Moly them for builds. I don't leave bolts barrels or lowers in the shop area and I'll be danged if I can remember where I stashed them.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With my wife and son in tow, we went to our shoot spot and blasted the **** out of a bunch of ****. We had a great time with our ARs as well as my son's new 590 Shockwave, 9mm & 10mm Glocks. Best father's day in years.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Removed every magpul vg i own. Were huge eye sores.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    It's been a while since this was going on since the gun in question isn't one I've been shooting a lot lately but I seem to recall doing a lock back check at the time the issue was occurring. I then fired a number of rounds one at a time and got intermittent failures to lock. Then I changed the buffer and the issues stopped. I could be misremembering though, so I've gotta check my notes from that day and see if I wrote anything relevant. I'm at work so my logbook isn't handy. I'll check what I actually wrote when I get home though because now I'm curious.
    Well looking at my notes now I see I my memories were a bit off.
    On 8-8-18 I had a couple failures to lock back with XM193 and Mag #9
    On 9-24-18 The gun was having intermittent failures to lock with Mag #7 but was ejecting XM193 brass at 3 o'clock.
    On 10-1-18 I replaced the buffer spring with a new BCM one i had laying around.
    On 10-2-18 I went to the range, did a lock back check, firing 13 rounds of XM193 and 10 rounds of Radway Green 62gr one round at a time in the mag. No failures to lock open but the gun was now ejecting at 1-2 o'clock with XM193, 3 o'clock with Radway
    On 10-10-18 the gun was ejecting at 1-2:30ish with XM193, I swapped the H out for the H2 and ejection angle changed to 3-4 o'clock for the remainder of the rounds. No failures to lock back.
    And no others since, although I've only shot that particular gun twice since October.

So if anything it looks like changing out my buffer spring was actually when the intermittent failures to lock open went away, meanwhile the buffer swap changed the ejection angle.
    I guess if it keeps working fine I won't dwell on it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Submitted Form 1 to make it into an SBR

Also, grabbed Radian WS Raptor LT in FDE, VTAC 2 pt sling and QD sling attachment point.

Attachment 57703

Pics will entail when get it back with the stamp

Feedback Score
    Last week I put together a Colt 14.5" pin & welded SOCOM upper. Been doing my best to wear it out already.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 86 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast