Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCAR 17 CQC....why or why not?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SCAR 17 CQC....why or why not?

I have had my Scar 17 a while now. Love it. Recently got my Sandman S which I intended to run on my 17. With the stock barrel, it is quite long and a little front heavy. I'm seriously considering sending my barrel to Marvin Pitts or PMM to have it cut down and the FH pinned to 16in OAL. This will make for a much handier rifle with the suppressor. I run a TA11E on my 17s as a battle rifle. I don't get why guys put these big scopes on a 17s. You can get better accuracy with another platform. The SCAR 17 is a friggin battle rifle to me so I want to run it like one suppressed. I realize I will have to mess with the gas jets a bit.

My reservations are the loss in velocity. And how much punch the round will have at a distance. Idon't intend to really ever take shots past 600 yards for sure, and nothing past 300 yards hunting.

I'm looking for some help deciding from guys who have real world expirience with a SCAR 17 CQC at the range, GWOT, and hunting in the states. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by lj_1187; 04-30-17 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    I SBR'd my 17 and love it. It's very maneuverable and makes it handier when you hang a can on it. I am going to take it to longer ranges in a few weeks, and I've heard people having excellent results in that role.

IMO, 1-6x and 1-8x optics suit this gun very well.

Feedback Score
    10 years ago the conventional wisdom was that a .308 with a barrel less than 16" was the ballistic equivalent of a very loud 7.62X39. Thanks to advances is modern ammunition, that has shifted some. Yes, there are loads that expand out to 100+ yards such as the MK319Mod0. No, they will not turn a 13" SCAR-17 into a 500 meter gun. You need decide if such a gun fills your needs despite the drawbacks. I did the calculus and opted to leave my barrel at 16".

Feedback Score
    /\/\/\/\/\ this /\/\/\/\/\

If I were you I would go buy the can and the 13" barrel. File the forms and wait. I would be very selective about the suppressor as well. I am in the process of writing up a blog post about suppressors and SCARs. Bolt speed increase is no small matter on a SCAR.

I would keep your 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox33 View Post
    /\/\/\/\/\ this /\/\/\/\/\

If I were you I would go buy the can and the 13" barrel. File the forms and wait. I would be very selective about the suppressor as well. I am in the process of writing up a blog post about suppressors and SCARs. Bolt speed increase is no small matter on a SCAR.

I would keep your 16" barrel.
    That is a very good point. The SCAR-H can be rough on optics. I'd imagine that barrel cutdowns do not help this...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Sensei,

Did you read my post about SCARs and Handl trigger modules? I discuss recoil impulse waves in metal I talk about optics a little bit.
    Last edited by Fox33; 04-30-17 at 17:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't afford an $1100 barrel, $200 stamp and a ridiculous wait. The cut and pin from PMM would run me about $300 shipped. It's tough to find the MK319 ammo anymore. I would run mostly M80 ball, and some 168 and 155 red box TAP.

Also, ACOGs should be fine with the recoil impulse. I've never heard of an issue with one.
    Last edited by lj_1187; 04-30-17 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lj_1187 View Post
    I can't afford an $1100 barrel, $200 stamp and a ridiculous wait. The cut and pin from PMM would run me about $300 shipped. It's tough to find the MK319 ammo anymore. I would run mostly M80 ball, and some 168 and 155 red box TAP.

Also, ACOGs should be fine with the recoil impulse. I've never heard of an issue with one.
    It sounds like your mind is made up. Good luck and let us know how it works.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not made up yet lol. Just saying if it did it, I would do a chop/pin instead of going the NFA route for another $1000 to for an extra inch taken off the barrel.

I'd love to hear from guys who have real world experience with a SCAR 17 CQC. At what distance does the round teeter out and loose enough energy to take down a deer for example? I know many are fielded in the GWOT in the CQC setup.

Feedback Score
    It depends on the round. Mk 319 Mod0 supposedly has good terminal performance down to 2000 fps which is about 200 yards assuming 2600 fps and a BC of 0.277. Hornady 155 grain TAP is going to leave a 13-14" barrel at around 2200-2300 fps and disrupt out to about 150 yards, but I'm not sure that it is an acceptable deer load. Most of the best hunting and barrier blind loads are in the 150-160 grain weights and will peter out at 100-200 yards in terms of expansion.

One last thought, Marvin will not be able to cut your barrel down to 13". The Sandman Keymount Brake is 2.6" long and will need about 0.5" of overlap for the barrel to index on the brake. Thus, he will probably be able to cut you down to 14" which will give you an OAL of 16" once the brake is indexed against the barrel shoulder. He discussed this with me when I posed this question to him...
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-30-17 at 21:18.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast