Thread: Testing loads without a scope, a waste?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Testing loads without a scope, a waste?

Hi guys,
    I've been a reloading fool for the last month, and have just come to the realization that I should probably accuracy test my loads with a scope( crony will be a tax return purchase also), as there are too many variables using irons and my matech rear sight. How do ya'll test your loads?

Feedback Score
    It depends on what you are after.

If you are going to the ultimate precision possible with your set up, you will probably need to go with an optical sight and measure your group sizes. Go for what shoots the smallest groups, keep notes, and tweak things like crazy.

If you are trying to make your reloads perform as well as some other type of ammo, you need to shoot each side by side and see how they compare. This would apply all your variables to both types of ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just like UVvis said. Shoot some comparison ammo.

I test my hand loads with irons. That's what I'm going to be shooting them with... so why not?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    In testing with irons, don't think you need to do it past 50 yards. A 50 yard zero will be the same at 200 which is a widely accepted practice...and you can actually see a small enough dot on a 50yd target to dial it in pretty well.

It's difficult to zero at 100 yds with irons because of the limitation of the eye to define a small enough spot on the target (say 4 MOA) to focus on, and the front sight post is just too large to get a finite sight picture. A good gauge is a head shot on an IPSC or IDPA approved target from a rest at 50 yds as small as you can hold it. Too make it easier, holt the bottom of the head at the neck line "On top" of the sights which allows you to center between the shouders as a gauge. For point of impact alignment, your shots should hit the center of the neck line.

If you're using a Bullseye, rest the bull on the top of the sights. Your impact should be at the bottom of the bull.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I agree. I zero my load and test for POI shift at 50 yards with a carbean sight radius because I can't see my 4 MOA black grid very well at 100. At 50 yards, you can tell if you're getting good accuracy.

For whatever reason, I can see the grid much better with a rifle sight radius. It somehow tricks my eye into focusing better. I zero my rifles at 100.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For general reloading, no, I don't think a scope is needed.
    For load development however, yes, a decently powerful scope and good, sturdy benchrest is needed.
    By load development, I mean, for example, if you want to find to most accurate load possible for your rifle, like, loading 20 rounds of something using 25.5gr. of powder, and another 20 using 26.0gr. of powder... the difference will be small, but you need to remove ALL chances of human-error to get accurate results...
    For me, I develop my loads off a bench, rifle tightly seated in a Caldwell Leadsled rest, shooting at 100 yards on a calm day. I always stick a Nikon 6-24x50mm scope on the rifles for this, and if the scope won't fit on the rifle, I use my Nikon 4-16x42. I zoom in on the target 100%, and at 24x, looking at a 100y bullseye, there's no reason whats-so-ever to not put every single bullet through the same exact hole... so now, I can see the difference between 0.5 gr. of powder.
    I'm probably too meticulous about all this, it kinda set in on me when I was shooting primarily F-class T/R competitions, where 1gr. of powder off, or .01" too long/short on C.O.L. could cause a complete miss.
    I also just do it for piece of mind. If I zero my rifles like this, I know that the rifle is perfectly zeroed - and if I am out hunting or whatever, and miss, I know for certain that I missed, not the rifle.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson