Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weakest factory 223/556

Feedback Score

Weakest factory 223/556

Looking to set it forget it an adjustable gas block. Have some ppu 55 (which doesn't seem very stout) and a variety of grain or more off max listed load reloads in 55 and 62. Any suggestions on the wimpier factory 55 or 62 223/556 for setting this gas block? As always, thanks...

Feedback Score
    PMC Bronze is probably the weakest factory load that is still of decent quality and not difficult to find, while also being quite economical.

I've also tried some ATS X-Force M193 before that was probably as weak as PMC Bronze, though PMC Bronze is much easier to find.

The various steel cased ammo (Tula, WPA, WMC, Wolf Polyformance) are also quite weakly loaded, but pretty hard to find these days it seems.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 02-01-24 at 15:20.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Weakest factory 223/556

I agree on the PMC Bronze. It shoots clean and fairly reliable and consistent.
    Last edited by 202; 02-01-24 at 17:57.

Feedback Score
    Was figuring any 55 223...
    Will grab a box of bronze, then! Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 202 View Post
    I agree on PMC Bronze. It shoots clean and fairly reliable and consistent.
    A few years ago I tested the bargain 55 gr FMJ from a solid rest and the PMC Bronze was the most accurate (from my rifle) topping Federal American Eagle, Fiocchi and IMI. Of course, YMMV.

Feedback Score
    I still have several hundred rounds of PMP 223 ammo. It's pretty weak as well.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Gonna low charge a few aa2230/55s (suggestions for a powder inappropriately gassed for a 7 in ar barrel?) to tune with and was just looking for a weaker factory round to include in the exercise. Maybe Academy will have a box of Bronze one day soon....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In my experience, there's only one optimal setting on AGBs. And it's crystal clear whenst you choke it down too far on any load. Either is doesn't cycle or it's obviously struggling. Setting it more than one click open after that setting is just like not running the block at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my experience it'd be Tula or Wolf.

Still got a couple hundred rounds of Tula 55gr FMJ. In the Before Times, we used it alot in training, as it was 200 bucks/1,000 TYD.

Now.....I can't bring myself to shoot it, because it's (for all intents & purposes) non-reloadable. Like it's some special memento! HA!
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 02-02-24 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    Running 2 slr on 16in rifles. 1 click past function as markm suggested. They've run fine for years (knock wood). 1 @ 8 clicks, 1@ 11 (I think). A buddy dicked up an slr, losing the adj screw. I obtained another screw and put it on my newish pistol. Todd @ slr provided excellent support. 2 clicks and it wouldn't eject, 3 and it ran great. Until the detent spring retaining screw blew out. My bud had stripped the head of the screw. Another shooter drilled it out. A "gunsmith" had retapped for a bigger screw.....
    Another block on the way.

Btw, if you ever want to screw adj screw in and it won't go, dremel grooves in a screw (8/32?) to the tip, making a tap of sorts to cut the carbon out of the block threads. After adding a little juice to soften things. And if you ever strip out a torx or allen head, dremel a slot and use a flat head screwdriver. Has saved me more than once....

On the other rifles, I had Fed, wolf/pmc brass to tune with, but don't have em currently in my stash....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 02-02-24 at 10:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast