Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy another ACOG or Vortex Razor HD 1-6 Gen ii

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Buy another ACOG or Vortex Razor HD 1-6 Gen ii

If you already had a SHTF rifle with an ACOG and were building another rifle, and you had the luxury of either, would you put another ACOG on a rifle or go with the Vortex Razor HD Gen ii? If you chose the Vortex, which reticle? MRAD or the JM reticle?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Razor with MRAD. I did something similar to this a couple of years ago for a target rifle and have had no regrets. I like keeping each rifle somewhat unique. As long as the 1-6 fits your use for the rifle you built, I'd say go for it.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 05-13-17 at 18:45.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Why the Razor Gen II MRAD over the MOA or the JM versions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    If you already had a SHTF rifle with an ACOG and were building another rifle, and you had the luxury of either, would you put another ACOG on a rifle or go with the Vortex Razor HD Gen ii? If you chose the Vortex, which reticle? MRAD or the JM reticle?
    For the same price you can get the trijicon accupower 1-8. Get the red it's daylight bright, a hair lighter than the razor, great glass, both CQB style 1x but precision 8x with MOA or MIL marks. I love mine, I ran mine for the first time in a 3gun match and I love it.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Why the Razor Gen II MRAD over the MOA or the JM versions?
    MOA vs MRAD is personal preference, use whichever you're used to. The JM reticles use holdovers for specific loads. Nothing wrong with that either, but the holdovers may not be quite exact for your specific loads.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    For the same price you can get the trijicon accupower 1-8. Get the red it's daylight bright, a hair lighter than the razor, great glass, both CQB style 1x but precision 8x with MOA or MIL marks. I love mine, I ran mine for the first time in a 3gun match and I love it.
    We get it, you love your Trijicon Accupower 1-8. I like mine, too. I also own the Razor 1-6, and the Trijicon illumination is a joke by comparison. The Razor is true daylight bright, like using an aimpoint only crisper, while the Accupower 1-8 washes out on bright surfaces.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    MOA vs MRAD is personal preference, use whichever you're used to. The JM reticles use holdovers for specific loads. Nothing wrong with that either, but the holdovers may not be quite exact for your specific loads.

We get it, you love your Trijicon Accupower 1-8. I like mine, too. I also own the Razor 1-6, and the Trijicon illumination is a joke by comparison. The Razor is true daylight bright, like using an aimpoint only crisper, while the Accupower 1-8 washes out on bright surfaces.
    The red is for sure daylight bright man, not sure if you have bad eyes or what. The razor dot is just too small for me, the glass is clear on the razor but it's just so small that it's not easy to pick up. I got buddies that I shoot 3gun with and all of them are vortex guys and each one now is wanting to ditch their razor for the accupower.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    The red is for sure daylight bright man, not sure if you have bad eyes or what. The razor dot is just too small for me, the glass is clear on the razor but it's just so small that it's not easy to pick up. I got buddies that I shoot 3gun with and all of them are vortex guys and each one now is wanting to ditch their razor for the accupower.
    No, no eye issues here. I have the red 1-8, and just like the accupower 1-4, as soon as I look at a bright surface through it in full daylight, the reticle goes black. There's a *hint* of red, but it's barely noticeable. It's not capable of retina searing, blooming brightness like an aimpoint or razor on the highest setting.

Maximum brightness on the accupower is equivalent to maybe 4 or 5 on the razor 1-6. The razor also doesn't wash out on bright surfaces because it's not relying on a reflection off the etched reticle to get the illumination to your eye.

Everyone has their preferences, and I haven't said anything about the reticle/dot size on either scope. If you don't like other offerings, it doesn't matter to me. I just think it's wrong to keep towing the "accupower 1-8 is daylight bright" line when it clearly is not. Especially compared to the illumination in several other 1-x scopes out there.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I just think it's wrong to keep towing the "accupower 1-8 is daylight bright" line when it clearly is not. Especially compared to the illumination in several other 1-x scopes out there.
    I agree with this. I have talked with some good dudes I trust in the industry, that have also had hands on with the 1-8 red mil accupower and echo Slippers findings.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So far no one is suggesting another ACOG, which is interesting. I'm leaning towards the Razor MRAD at this point.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    So far no one is suggesting another ACOG, which is interesting. I'm leaning towards the Razor MRAD at this point.
    I think a lot of us have trouble recommending an ACOG over a variable power scope these days because there are so many good or even great scopes in the same price range. If you have a clone build in mind, or you used an ACOG in the service, that's a whole different story. But for all-around use a 1-x scope is a great setup. I do love the ACOG TA33 because it's compact, as light as some red dot sights, and has excellent eye relief. If you can live with 3x, it's a great optic.

A lot of the ACOG offerings make it tough to use a rear sight unless you run the stock really short because the eye relief is not great (or get an adapter to raise it over the rear sight and extend it rearward further). And the prices of ACOGs have steadily climbed over the years.

As a Razor MRAD owner I've been very happy with the scope, besides the weight. The glass clarity, illumination, and eye box are great. Around the same price/weight is also the previously mentioned Accupower 1-8, if you don't mind the illumination (but the reticle is very usable without illumination so it's not an issue in my opinion).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast