Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which knee/elbowpads?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Which knee/elbowpads?

I'm participating in one-on-one carbine training. we normally have sessions around two hours long, so i get alot of reps and alot of trigger time. all of the training is in an indoor range, so if i need to get on the floor, it's on concrete and it's pretty rough on my joints and clothes.

What particular knee/elbowpads are best suited for this training environment?
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm participating in one-on-one carbine training. we normally have sessions around two hours long, so i get alot of reps and alot of trigger time. all of the training is in an indoor range, so if i need to get on the floor, it's on concrete and it's pretty rough on my joints and clothes.

What particular knee/elbowpads are best suited for this training environment?

On concrete I would recommend neoprene. Nice and stable on a concrete floor.

BlackHawk Hell Storm Neoprene Knee Pads work for me. The straps are long enough and they have double strapped velcro per strap in other words pretty solid.

Noveske 14.5 VTAC KX3

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The regular old cheapo "bike" brand soccer style pads work great for elbows. You see USMC03 wearing them in pics here from time to time.

For knees, I like the Altas.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    demigod, the elbows that i'm using now are volleyball ones. they're thick enough and easy to roll up and throw in my training bag. i think i'm gonna have to order some kneepads, though. so i figured i might as well order a set of both.

what are ALTAS pads?
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    http://www.altaindustries.com/tactical.shtml

The altalock system seems to be the preferred set up. I'm happy with it in my set.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Piggy-backing on this thread since I'm looking for some too. Thanks for the good links.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    http://www.altaindustries.com/tactical.shtml

The altalock system seems to be the preferred set up. I'm happy with it in my set.
    I prefer the Altas or similar style knee/elbow pads. I prefer the quicker on of of the straps and I find I get less bunching, making them more comfortable, and I find them cooler too without all the extra material. I have used regular soft style in the past, but now stick to the hard ones. I also find them more durable. A piece of bullet jacket, gravel or other normal debris from the range can quickly tear or puncture a cloth faced pad, or possibly even the skin behind it. Lastly I find the hard faced pads, also help distribute the impact force of dropping to a knee and a hard surface or object.

So for my bad knees hard are the only way to go, and for elbows I think the cloth style pads can be used, but prefer the hard ones for the quicker/easier on and off, cooler temps, and extra protection.

Just my .02.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have used a bunch of different knee and elbow pads, from Alta to Hatch, neoprene to the hinged things.

I really like the Hatch XTAK kneepads. Have not used the elbow pads.

I have heard good things from real users about the Arc'teryx Knee Pads as well, and are then next pair I am going to try out. They are a bit pricey at about $50, but I am willing to pay for a pair of kneepads that can be worn for longer than a couple of hours and not irritate me, feel like a heating blanket, or slip all over, they are worth it- to me at least.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    +1 on the alta pads. i use the usmc issue type. forgot the model name.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Like F2S, I've been developing a strong interest in the Arc'Teryx kneecaps.

MM recently did a great review on them, if you haven't seen it.

Chief
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast