Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vite D, sleep, and pain management

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Vite D, sleep, and pain management

Vite D and sleep may be an effective way to manage chronic pain, depending on the source/cause of the pain. There appears to be a direct link between D and sleep and pain:

Vitamin D supplements and good night's sleep may help to manage pain

Following a review of published research on the relationship between vitamin D, sleep, and pain, researchers propose that vitamin D supplementation, together with good sleep hygiene, may offer an effective way to manage pain in conditions such as arthritis, chronic back pain, fibromyalgia, and menstrual cramps.

A recent review of existing studies has uncovered a link between vitamin D supplementation, sleep hygiene, and pain management.

The review - by researchers from the Department of Psychobiology at the Federal University of São Paulo in Brazil - is published in the Journal of Endocrinology.

The researchers explain that while the role of vitamin D in bone metabolism is well established, there is also evidence emerging that it takes part in other biological processes, such as processing of sensory signals and sleep regulation.

Another link that is well established is that which ties pain to sleep disturbance. What is not clear, however, is how vitamin D fits into this relationship.

In their review, the researchers look at recent studies that examine the links between vitamin D, sleep, and pain. They also suggest that health professionals should consider these associations when recommending treatments for patients with all types of pain condition, including chronic back pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and menstrual cramps.

Cont;

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317607.php

Source study

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or...-0514.abstract
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I take vitamin D3 every day......in the morning.

Should I be taking it at night?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I take vitamin D3 every day......in the morning.

Should I be taking it at night?
    Effects of D are chronic due to tissue levels vs acute, so shouldn't matter as far as I'm aware.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My issue is I can't get enough sleep because of the chronic pain, after the meds the VA give me wear off then I'm not sleeping any more. At the longest, I might get 5-6 hrs of relief. And that isn't great relief, just okay.

I'm going to try some vit D, can't hurt. I stopped taking the controlled meds, I'm 100% T/P disabled for back neck knees mainly, also ankles shoulders hips elbows and hands.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    My issue is I can't get enough sleep because of the chronic pain, after the meds the VA give me wear off then I'm not sleeping any more. At the longest, I might get 5-6 hrs of relief. And that isn't great relief, just okay.

I'm going to try some vit D, can't hurt. I stopped taking the controlled meds, I'm 100% T/P disabled for back neck knees mainly, also ankles shoulders hips elbows and hands.
    Get your 25OHD levels checked for vite D status, dose accordingly. D is a no brainer regardless. Depending legal in status in your state, see also:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...bis-Discussion
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-25-17 at 10:22.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Get your 25OHD levels checked for vite D status, dose accordingly. D is a no brainer regardless. Depending legal in status in your state, see also:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...bis-Discussion
    I often wondered about trying cannabis, never have. As difficult as it is just getting the meds I need from the VA I wouldn't even attempt to ask.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    I often wondered about trying cannabis, never have. As difficult as it is just getting the meds I need from the VA I wouldn't even attempt to ask.
    Just posted recent VA position on medical cannabis in the cannabis thread to stay OT.

It can be very effective for some types of chronic pain and other conditions. As the VA really wants to see less opioid use, my understanding is they are actively looking at and interested in cannabis and pretty open minded within the limitations they have to work with via what I posted in that thread. It will take a schedule change by the feds for that to make it into the system some day, but for now, state by state, and not gonna come from the VA now. You'd have to go outside the system, but that's no uncommon either it seems if vets want to get some treatment they need/want.

State laws apply and I do not recommend break any state laws.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-25-17 at 11:43.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No issues with someone using/trying cannabis for pain relief, especially since peer reviewed academic studies have shown it can give pain relief and be a sleep aid.

However...not for me. Not at risk of a minimum of a ticket and public embarrassment. Society isn't quite ready for weed to become completely acceptable and depending upon job/family/community, etc. where one lives will determine whether using weed is considered taboo, or fine. Patient or pothead.

Thought about it with my chronic pain issues, but not worth the potential downside. Plenty of places where they will still roll you up fairly hard on minor weed charges. Or the cop is in a bad mood and so is the judge.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You'd be surprised on how many people are deficient and do not know . . .

Feedback Score
    My doctor told me to take Vitamin D in the morning (actually till 12:00 noon). I was surprised when I found out that I was deficient as I thought that only children need this vitamin. Speaking about pain and sleep, I didn't notice any effect of this vitamin, so I've recently started using cbd oil. I should say, it works great for me.
    Last edited by Gregory234; 05-04-20 at 09:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast