Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 9mm mags ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for Wilson ETM, or any of the Wilson mags for that matter..they're lifetime guaranteed to work. All have ran perfectly in my Nighthawks and Wilson's in 9 mm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When deciding on what mags to use in my Colt .38 Super I bought samples of several brands. Wilson, Tripp, Checkmate, Mec Gar where my choices. Mec Gars work fine for range use but are 9 rounds, Checkmates were advertised as 10 round but one can't seat the mag with 10 rounds on a closed slide and they caused failure to go into battery. Wilson uses a plastic follower but work well but I worry about follower wear, The Tripp mags work as well as the Wilson and use a stainless follower... Tripp for me.
    YMMV.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    When deciding on what mags to use in my Colt .38 Super I bought samples of several brands. Wilson, Tripp, Checkmate, Mec Gar where my choices. Mec Gars work fine for range use but are 9 rounds, Checkmates were advertised as 10 round but one can't seat the mag with 10 rounds on a closed slide and they caused failure to go into battery. Wilson uses a plastic follower but work well but I worry about follower wear, The Tripp mags work as well as the Wilson and use a stainless follower... Tripp for me.
    YMMV.
    I've never heard of anyone having a problem with Wilson's plastic followers. I've used nothing but Wilson magazines in 45 Auto for ten years - all with plastic followers - and have never had a problem with them.

Which is a moot point, anyway, as the 9mm ETM-V magazines, at least, have steel followers.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I've never heard of anyone having a problem with Wilson's plastic followers. I've used nothing but Wilson magazines in 45 Auto for ten years - all with plastic followers - and have never had a problem with them.

Which is a moot point, anyway, as the 9mm ETM-V magazines, at least, have steel followers.
    Steel? Interesting, I wonder why they went that way? The Wilson plastic followers are called wear items by Wilson and I think they sell them with the mag spring rather inexpensively. I have noticed wear at the point of contact with the slide catch, not much though so maybe it isn't the issue it seems. But the Tripp's work just as well and are about the same cost. Another interesting difference is that both have longer than frame length mag bodies but the Tripp is slightly longer and the Tripp has a stronger feeling spring.

But, as you said, moot since I'm talking about .38 super vs. 9mm.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback. All the usual suspects are in most folks go to. Since I run Wilsons in my 45, and since we are all creatures of habit, I'll rock with what came with the gun, plus some Wilsons for Starters. If they don't run perfectly, I'll post and move in to Mickys!

My Lipsey arrived at my LGS, when I get back in country I'm all over that bad boy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. All the usual suspects are in most folks go to. Since I run Wilsons in my 45, and since we are all creatures of habit, I'll rock with what came with the gun, plus some Wilsons for Starters. If they don't run perfectly, I'll post and move in to Mickys!

My Lipsey arrived at my LGS, when I get back in country I'm all over that bad boy.

PB
    That's a great plan, stay in touch and keep us posted on how they work out for you.

Safe travels

Feedback Score
    My vote is ETM and Tripp Cobra with Dawson floor plate on Dawson site.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The gun came with Chips. I bought WILSON ETM's. The ETM MAGS seem to load easier

Feedback Score
    Wilson ETM-V or Tripp Cobra's. No FTF's or issues in 3 years of running the Tripps, not nearly as long on Wilson...but have no doubts.

Feedback Score
    I would even go Tripp over ETM. They are better all around imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast