Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Huuuge groups today, what's going on?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Upper arrived at Noveske on Monday and they emailed me today (Tuesday). The chrome lining was indeed flaking off, presumably due to a manufacturer defect, so they replaced the barrel for me. They were also able to save the WarComp that was pinned on it, which is awesome since I wasn’t sure it would happen. Unfortunately, unless they send it second day air and it shows up before this weekend, I won’t be able to shoot it until August, maybe even September or October. I’ll group it with the same setup as before, and assuming it groups well, I’m happy with their CS. Thanks for all of the help guys.

One thing I will definitely make a better effort of doing is a more robust grouping procedure to check how the gun shoots. It bothers me to not know when this started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Every outing, I shoot a cold bore group, and before I pack it in, a last group.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Thats pretty f***ed that their QC didnt catch that and that it took thousands of rounds to manifest. At the rate some people shoot, they'll never know they have a defective barrel.

What time frame did you purchase the barrel? Did it have a date stamp on it?
    Not really. Sometimes shit happens. Chrome lining failure as you note can take time to manifest.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Stainless or CL?

I’ve got a class in two weeks. I’ll see if one of the instructors can group at 50+ to compare it to what I did. They’re very good shooters so I’d hope they can get it to MOA. Those were also the first rounds out of that barrel so I’m sure there’s some type of “barrel break in” argument that could be made.

I went back to see your first post, if your are still shooting a 3X optic, shooting MOA at 100 is a young good shooters arena. Marks eyes are still pretty damn good, but I struggle with ACOGS RDS for shooting decent groups at 100 yards.

Depending on your age, grab a young, (under 35 young LOL), and have him drive the gun for a couple groups. Also, if you have a spare scope to toss on it just to try groups...

Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Thats pretty f***ed that their QC didnt catch that and that it took thousands of rounds to manifest. At the rate some people shoot, they'll never know they have a defective barrel.

What time frame did you purchase the barrel? Did it have a date stamp on it?
    It was a limited edition run, they partnered with OAF Nation for the gun about two-three years ago. I never noticed a date stamp on the barrel but I assume it was made around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I went back to see your first post, if your are still shooting a 3X optic, shooting MOA at 100 is a young good shooters arena. Marks eyes are still pretty damn good, but I struggle with ACOGS RDS for shooting decent groups at 100 yards.

Depending on your age, grab a young, (under 35 young LOL), and have him drive the gun for a couple groups. Also, if you have a spare scope to toss on it just to try groups...

Good luck.

PB
    I’m only 27 and though my eyes have gone down hill in the last few years, they’re still 20/20. I’ve also moved up to a 4x optic now, though ultimately I want to put a Razor 1-6 on this gun. Still, as long as we have the time, I’m sure at least one of the instructors won’t have an issue seeing how well they can shoot it.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Cool, pony up and buy a box each Black Hills 77 and 69 OTM or tipped SMK's. And that will tell you everything you need to know. Most 77 grain stuff is SMK's so your probably good, but down the road when you get more optic, (that Razor is killer). Vortex Burris and up and up now make 1-8's which are nice. But that Vortex is a tank with great 1X visibility.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Huuuge groups today, what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Cool, pony up and buy a box each Black Hills 77 and 69 OTM or tipped SMK's. And that will tell you everything you need to know. Most 77 grain stuff is SMK's so your probably good, but down the road when you get more optic, (that Razor is killer). Vortex Burris and up and up now make 1-8's which are nice. But that Vortex is a tank with great 1X visibility.

PB
    Most of the groups I shot this past weekend were with BH 77 gr OTM, which is why I was a little disappointed. Could’ve been me though, that’s why I saved about 20 rounds for the pros to test out. And I’m looking forward to it, the extra 2x on the NF would be nice but the 1x “red dotness” is my biggest concern for this gun.

Last edited by Wake27; 07-03-18 at 12:48.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Got lucky and received the upper back yesterday. I had to RSO this morning so by the time I got to shoot, I was pretty burnt and it was hot. So I didn’t take my time like I should have. That being said I’m completely confident in this thing now. Below is the zero target from 50m. I did shoot this with the 77gr stuff so it could’ve been better. But I was hitting pop ups at distance so easily that it has to be pretty accurate. The 600m double e-type silhouette was the only hard target because the scope ran out of stadia. 200-500 didn’t take much effort at all.

Just realized I never followed up on this. I rarely get the chance/take the time to shoot groups at 50-100 but three months after the quoted post, I put five rounds of PMC Bronze in a 1.5" group at 55m. The more I think about it, the less impressed I am with the accuracy of that barrel. However, that wasn't the primary issue. The barrel they sent back to me recoiled harder than any AR I've ever shot. I went through an entire one day intermediate level class with it before I switched to my BCM and it was night and day difference. I had the class instructor (Surf) shoot it and he agreed that it was extremely overgassed. I sold the upper and won't buy another Noveske product again.

Thread cliff notes:

1. Original Noveske upper had chrome lining defect that caused garbage groups at 100m.
    2. I paid to ship to Noveske.
    3. They replaced the barrel and had it back to me in just under a week.
    4. Replacement barrel had questionable accuracy and the worse recoil I've ever felt on an AR.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just realized I never followed up on this. I rarely get the chance/take the time to shoot groups at 50-100 but three months after the quoted post, I put five rounds of PMC Bronze in a 1.5" group at 55m. The more I think about it, the less impressed I am with the accuracy of that barrel. However, that wasn't the primary issue. The barrel they sent back to me recoiled harder than any AR I've ever shot. I went through an entire one day intermediate level class with it before I switched to my BCM and it was night and day difference. I had the class instructor (Surf) shoot it and he agreed that it was extremely overgassed. I sold the upper and won't buy another Noveske product again.

Thread cliff notes:

1. Original Noveske upper had chrome lining defect that caused garbage groups at 100m.
    2. I paid to ship to Noveske.
    3. They replaced the barrel and had it back to me in just under a week.
    4. Replacement barrel had questionable accuracy and the worse recoil I've ever felt on an AR.
    Been saying it since around 2012...

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Been saying it since around 2012...
    A few people have. I’m pretty sure I responded to one of your threads saying that I still loved mine or something along those lines.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011