Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size Does Matter: Op Ed (Frank Plumb Article from Soldier Systems Daily)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Size Does Matter: Op Ed (Frank Plumb Article from Soldier Systems Daily)

I found this editorial by Frank Plumb to be thought-provoking and information. He should have disclosed he is the owner of Handl Defense which has, obviously, a vested interest in seeing the use of the SCAR-H and 7.62x51 cartridge used more widely in the US Military, but I have heard from numberous combat vets who have experienced similar results with the 5.56, stitching a bad guy full of them and not stopping him, etc. I know it is an ongoing debate, but this does offer at least a well thought through set of arguments for a heavier bullet. Full op ed here.

Excerpt:

The way a bullet destroys muscle, solid organ and soft organs is different. This is based off the cavitation effects of the projectile once it enters. Imagine looking down on a boat moving through water. It leaves a wake behind it. The size, shape, and speed of the boat determine the size of the wake. Think of the boat wake as projectile cavitation.

Since Humans are about 70% water I feel this is a very accurate metaphor. Look at the wake of a speed boat, like the type that are raced in the open ocean. They leave clean small wakes by comparison to their size. It the pursuit of speed, they reduce drag, they transfer as little energy into the surface of the water as possible. This is akin to how a 5.56 projectile works. Clean and fast through the air often means clean and fast in the target. According to Army studies a 5.56 bullet needs 4.75 inches of body penetration to Yaw. This Yawing is critical to the 5.56 round being lethal. It is how it transfers its energy into the target. If the 5.56 round fails to yaw, it often fails to kill. That August night in 2003 makes a lot more sense now.

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure he is referring to M855, and that is not exactly the yardstick to measure 5.56mm by. There are much better loads out there, especially now in 2017. M855A1, Mk319, the FBI TBBC load, other bonded SP's or HP's, etc. While I'm sure that there are other calibers better than 5.56mm, the "mouse gun" round can be quite effective if you pick the right one.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Yes 308 is better shot for shot than 5.55.

We should give our guys good 5.56 rounds.

Logistics needs to be factored in as well. 308 has its place, so does 556.

I still think a lotof complaints have to do with false expectations due to video game experience vs hunting. The latter teaches you a perfect chest shot won't result in a drop every time, regardless of caliber.

As for his analogy, yes, that's why fmj sucks, especially m855. 193 is a little better. Otm and soft points are the best. It's actually bullet design, not size that is importat, but size helps.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-02-17 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Yes 308 is better shot for shot than 5.55.

We should give our guys good 5.56 rounds.

Logistics needs to be factored in as well. 308 has its place, so does 556.

I still think a lotof complaints have to do with false expectations due to video game experience vs hunting. The latter teaches you a perfect chest shot won't result in a drop every time, regardless of caliber.

As for his analogy, yes, that's why fmj sucks, especially m855. 193 is a little better. Otm and soft points are the best. It's actually bullet design, not size that is importat, but size helps.
    Absolutely agree. I'm not one that will try to argue the .223/5.56 is something it's not. But, it's far from an anemic caliber. With all the great defensive rounds out there, it really bugs me that our guys are handicapped by ammo restrictions. It's antiquated nonsense. I've long hoped that our leaders would say, "ef it", and equip our guys with some more effective projectiles. Not to mention adjusting our strategy and ROE while we're at it. But that's for a different thread.

Our enemies have no respect for these "rules of war", so take the chains off of our guys. Outside of a good-faith effort to mitigate civilian casualties, provide the troops with one objective. End the conflict, and come back home. Beyond that, let the military's leadership decide what equipment is necessary to accomplish that goal quickly and decisively.

Sorry...rant over. I'm just happy to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the US Military should be able to take advantage of some much better projectiles. Yes, the .308 is a better round. However, if the troops were given a choice between switching over to .308 or running any 5.56 load of their choice, I honestly think most would advocate for the latter option.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Part of his assertion was based on the fact that near-peer potential enemies have at least functional body armor and therefore 5.56 won't cut it. Then again, neither will standard 7.62x51. There is the 7.62 SLAP round that has been out for some time but it lacks in accuracy and fires a smaller caliber sabot.......go figure!

Doesn't the military have M995 (?) for 5.56 AP purposes? The unobtainium "black tip"?

IMHO the most economical, expedient, and efficient "answer" is not backtracking to a 7.62 MBR for everyone or even a switch to an entirely new intermediate caliber in the 6.5'ish range, but instead an upgrade to a more effective 5.56mm round. This is more likely to happen in today's environment of tight budgets and more $$$ being spent on high-tech weapon systems.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 06-03-17 at 08:09.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    M855A1 for everyone! that should be a good start. didnt mk318 work pretty well for the Marines as well?

just thinking from a civi point of view....but i'd rather have premium 5.56mm, than 308 FMJ.
    Last edited by mr h; 06-03-17 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thought provoking? More like a complete waste of time. Frank Plumb is either completely out of touch with reality or trying to push an agenda aka trying to sell something. How about we listen to the guys who actually shoot people.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-03-17 at 16:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Thought provoking? More like a complete waste of time. Frank Plumb is either completely out of touch with reality or trying to push an agenda aka trying to sell something. How about we listen to the guys who actually shoot people.
    His reality appears to be tragically influenced by his agenda. Looks like a guy with something to sell and nobody to sell it to. There is nothing new or relevant in his didactic. A student of the cartridge will see right through him...
    Last edited by M Sadler; 06-03-17 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Frank Plumb is CEO of Handl Defense, a company that makes products for the SCAR-H. Yes, he has a major agenda: pushing the round that is used in the products he supports.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoJones View Post
    Frank Plumb is CEO of Handl Defense, a company that makes products for the SCAR-H. Yes, he has a major agenda: pushing the round that is used in the products he supports.
    Well then he's one of those dildos that Jose was talking about then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast