Thread: Building an AR 15 pistol

Feedback Score

Building an AR 15 pistol

I have a Stag Arms stripped lower receiver that I purchased year's ago and never did anything else with it. I'm interested in building an AR 15 pistol, but my lower receiver was registered as a rifle I believe and not a pistol like all of the build guides suggest.

How do I proceed?. Can simply take the lower to an FFL, fill out another form and make sure it's selected as a pistol and get a copy of the finished form for my records?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When the receiver was purchased, the ATF requires ask receivers to be identified as "OTHER" on the Form 4473. If a mistake was made by the FFL who filled out the form, the receiver is still an OTHER until assembled. The exception to this is if local regulations require something else. The only way the ATF can know if the Form 4473 was filled out incorrectly is to go to the FFL and have them pull the form for your receiver, no easy task. Even so, that part of the 4473 is the responsibility of the FFL, not the purchaser. In your place, I would go ahead and build a pistol with that receiver

If you are still nervous about using the lower for building as pistol, sell it and buy another
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ContractSoldier View Post
    my lower receiver was registered as a rifle I believe and not a pistol like all of the build guides suggest.
    If your positive it was registered as a rifle I think your only option would be to submit an SBR form and wait the year to get your stamp back and them build it as a pistol if that's what you still want.

It would be cheaper to just buy an new stripped lower.
    Last edited by hdrolling; 06-29-17 at 06:10.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The receiver wasn't registered as anything, unless the local jurisdiction where the receiver was sold requires the registration of firearms. The feds do not register Title 1 firearms
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Build your pistol.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. They might have registered it as other, I'm not 100% certain, I just know when I purchased the lower receiver year's ago, my intent was to build a rifle with it. I have thought about submitting for a tax stamp, in order to do a SBR, as I really would like an MK18 Mod 1 inspired build.

There's nothing holding me back from registering my lower as an NFA SBR, just a matter of paying my money for the tax stamp and going through the ATF eform system.

I've always wonder about the question's on the form in regards to length. I can't purchase the parts, until after I get approval from the ATF, so there's no way to be spot on with length. I can only try to locate builds from manufactures that are themed like the build I'm thinking about and use there info as a reference.

Well I know I would be going with a 10.3 inch barrel, so for barrel length I would put 10.3 on the ATF form correct?

I would also be using a Daniel Defense MK18 Mod 1 length rail system and most likely, I would go with a Sopmod stock on a 6 position mil-spec buffer tube and the correct KAC flash suppressor. So I would need to determine what the overall length might be. Perhaps, U.S. military specifications on the MK18 project, might be of help in determining the overall length since I can not own the parts until the ATF's approval?

I currently own a Stag Arms upper receiver, Stag Arms lower receiver, and a BCM bolt assembly, so I'm off to a good start.
    Last edited by ContractSoldier; 06-28-17 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ContractSoldier View Post
    Thanks everyone. They might have registered it as other, I'm not 100% certain, I just know when I purchased the lower receiver year's ago, my intent was to build a rifle with it. I have thought about submitting for a tax stamp, in order to do a SBR, as I really would like an MK18 Mod 1 inspired build.

There's nothing holding me back from registering my lower as an NFA SBR, just a matter of paying my money for the tax stamp and going through the ATF eform system.

I've always wonder about the question's on the form in regards to length. I can't purchase the parts, until after I get approval from the ATF, so there's no way to be spot on with length. I can only try to locate builds from manufactures that are themed like the build I'm thinking about and use there info as a reference.

Well I know I would be going with a 10.3 inch barrel, so for barrel length I would put 10.3 on the ATF form correct?
    I believe you put the overall weapon length not just the barrel length.
    Last edited by hdrolling; 06-29-17 at 06:09.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Please stop propagating bad information. If you don't know something, then don't chime in.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    it does not matter what the 4473 says, any receiver that was not previously built as a rifle can be built as a pistol. and then rifle and then pistol again, but it has to be pistol first. once a rifle always a rifle.
    tarded. but them's the rules.