Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage MSR 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was kinda lazy shipping the gun back, so today was the '3 week' mark that Savage claimed was their goal for warranty work. I havent heard anything from them so I just sent an email. I'll be sure to update this thread when I get the gun back.

I did purchase a surefire Warcomp in 762 for this gun. I thought the brake it comes with is probably fine if you like brakes, but I dont. When I get the gun back I will take it to my local gunsmith and have the warcomp installed.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got the gun back today. The good news is that Savage stuck to their timeline of a 3 week turn around. The bad news is that I am dissastisfied with their work. For those that haven't been following the whole thread: after ~220+ rounds the gun started to double feed and showed significant wear on the back of the bolt lugs. When I got the gun back from Savage, all they did was "debburr and refinish the bolt". In their own words. I thought a rifle with that few of rounds through it, with that much wear would be getting a new bolt and barrel extension. Clearly mine is out of spec. Nope, just polish the bitch up and send it right back out the door. I didn't even throw away the box that they shipped the rifle in because I am almost certain it will need to go back.

Im gonna take the gun and run 80 or so rounds of old M80 surplus and see if the shearing of the bolt or double feeds continue. I was hoping to use this gun for a competition, but I don't want to be left hanging. I will report back after the next range day.

Feedback Score
    WOW... Well, IF that is in fact all they have done??? I'm really very surprised to have not heard they went through it (Fire arounds through it) to verify that it's working correctly?
    Buffer/Buffer spring, Checked Gas Block, To tell you, "Hey man, we're very sorry for your problems with the rifle, We went through it and found that this or that was off, which caused your double feeding issues, We have fire 50-100 rounds through it and the problem IS FIXED".... ?

Well tb, I hope this works for You BUT I can't see that deburr & polish, would fix double feeding issues, hopefully I'm wrong..

Good luck, looking forward to your range report..

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Got the gun back today. The good news is that Savage stuck to their timeline of a 3 week turn around. The bad news is that I am dissastisfied with their work. For those that haven't been following the whole thread: after ~220+ rounds the gun started to double feed and showed significant wear on the back of the bolt lugs. When I got the gun back from Savage, all they did was "debburr and refinish the bolt". In their own words. I thought a rifle with that few of rounds through it, with that much wear would be getting a new bolt and barrel extension. Clearly mine is out of spec. Nope, just polish the bitch up and send it right back out the door. I didn't even throw away the box that they shipped the rifle in because I am almost certain it will need to go back.

Im gonna take the gun and run 80 or so rounds of old M80 surplus and see if the shearing of the bolt or double feeds continue. I was hoping to use this gun for a competition, but I don't want to be left hanging. I will report back after the next range day.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Unfortunately I don't think any manufacturer is gonna run 50-100 rounds of 308 through a gun because a customer sent it back the first time. That's half my issue with this gun now: I have to spend significant time and money (308 aint for poors) to verify that it functions correctly. They did say they fired it for function, but I am under the impression it was 1-3 rounds. If it double fed in 3 rounds, that is a very serious problem indeed. Im skeptical it will make it through the first mag. I regularly shoot 80-150 rounds per range trip so I am more sensitive to probability than a manufacturer. If the problems persist I might try insisting that Savage sends me the bolt and barrel extention and I will have a gunsmith do it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Took the gun into my local smith to have the Surefire Warcomp installed. They noted that the crush washer from the original comp, was crushed so hard they had to cut it off. They also took a look at the bolt lugs and said they where definitely not right. I shot 60 more rounds through the gun the day before and can say it cycled all rounds perfectly but ejection still doesn't seem right. When the gun went back to savage they also took the liberty to open the gas block ALL the way up. Im still upset that Savage treats bolts like brake pads and thinks wear is acceptable; I just don't know why I should have to keep complaining to get this gun fixed. It really feels to me like they either don't have real AR smiths or that I had a "Friday at 4:30" build. I just wrote an email to my contact at Savage's warranty department and see how they respond.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 10-15-19 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    Dam Bro., Sorry to hear this, but IF I may, all these Firearms are tools, right. You have your Warranty, there already has been and is communication between you guys. You HAVE Made your Concerns known to them, they have checked it, did what they did and Signed Off on it, as far as I'm concerned by sending it back to you! Please do Not take what I am writing as bitching at You, I have been told my replies sometimes come across not the best, I don't mean this at all.
    ... IF it were Mine, I'd run it like the Sweet weapon it IS or supposed to be, and as long as I am Not planning on this as my "Self Defense" tool and I wouldn't. LOL...
    I'd Lube it up Run IT, RUN it and RUN it some more, just keep rolling with it. Now, IF it gets to a point, where I felt it is just too Bad to ignore said issues,... Bolt lug wear and whatever else goes on... Then I'd make contact again, telling them once again, expressing my concerns and letting them know How Unhappy I am with this Firearm. Then once again, take it from there..
    Good Luck turnburglar.
    Peace Jeff

Took the gun into my local smith to have the Surefire Warcomp installed. They noted that the crush washer from the original comp, was crushed so hard they had to cut it off. They also took a look at the bolt lugs and said they where definitely not right. I shot 60 more rounds through the gun the day before and can say it cycled all rounds perfectly but ejection still doesn't seem right. When the gun went back to savage they also took the liberty to open the gas block ALL the way up. Im still upset that Savage treats bolts like brake pads and thinks wear is acceptable; I just don't know why I should have to keep complaining to get this gun fixed. It really feels to me like they either don't have real AR smiths or that I had a "Friday at 4:30" build. I just wrote an email to my contact at Savage's warranty department and see how they respond.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So a little update for the forum since I like to keep everything transparent. For a quick recap: I put 300 rounds through the gun and experienced 2-3 double feeds, but most importantly the bolt lugs really developed some odd wear. I contacted Savage the first time to initiate their warranty process. The first time I had to send it out on my dime, and they returned the rifle in 4 weeks, with only a “deburr and polish” to the bolt lugs. I shot about 60 more rounds through the rifle, and the wear on the bolt lugs continued and got worse. I contacted Savage a 2nd time and explained my dissatisfaction. My contact at Savage arranged for them to pay shipping both ways, as well as throw in a spare mag for my time. Fast forward 5 weeks, and I received the gun back from its SECOND trip to the factory. Upon initial inspection, it appears that they may have changed out the barrel and bolt carrier; but NOT the bolt with the worn out lugs. The only thing I have been telling them to replace since the beginning. Now if this was an AR-15 and I still cared about fixing it: I would simply buy the parts myself, and what I couldn’t replace I would take to a qualified smith down the road. Since this is a proprietary gun, that isn’t an option and Savage has claimed they will not use a 3rd party for the labor. At this point the gun has spent half of its first year at the factory. I can't use imgur anymore to host pics, so if someone could suggest another web host I will upload pictures.

I REALLY wanted to like this rifle when I first bought it. It’s a handy, innovative, and well priced 308. Unfortunately it appears Savage is in the same camp as Sig. “We will pay an engineer up front, but the QC and Smiths are gonna be bare minimum.” I feel confident at this point in saying that Savage is not an AR manufacture and should be avoided. A good manufacture will fix a gun the first or second time it comes in for warranty. I won’t be buying a bolt gun from them in the future. Tikka it is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So a little update for the forum since I like to keep everything transparent. For a quick recap: I put 300 rounds through the gun and experienced 2-3 double feeds, but most importantly the bolt lugs really developed some odd wear. I contacted Savage the first time to initiate their warranty process. The first time I had to send it out on my dime, and they returned the rifle in 4 weeks, with only a “deburr and polish” to the bolt lugs. I shot about 60 more rounds through the rifle, and the wear on the bolt lugs continued and got worse. I contacted Savage a 2nd time and explained my dissatisfaction. My contact at Savage arranged for them to pay shipping both ways, as well as throw in a spare mag for my time. Fast forward 5 weeks, and I received the gun back from its SECOND trip to the factory. Upon initial inspection, it appears that they may have changed out the barrel and bolt carrier; but NOT the bolt with the worn out lugs. The only thing I have been telling them to replace since the beginning. Now if this was an AR-15 and I still cared about fixing it: I would simply buy the parts myself, and what I couldn’t replace I would take to a qualified smith down the road. Since this is a proprietary gun, that isn’t an option and Savage has claimed they will not use a 3rd party for the labor. At this point the gun has spent half of its first year at the factory. I can't use imgur anymore to host pics, so if someone could suggest another web host I will upload pictures.

I REALLY wanted to like this rifle when I first bought it. It’s a handy, innovative, and well priced 308. Unfortunately it appears Savage is in the same camp as Sig. “We will pay an engineer up front, but the QC and Smiths are gonna be bare minimum.” I feel confident at this point in saying that Savage is not an AR manufacture and should be avoided. A good manufacture will fix a gun the first or second time it comes in for warranty. I won’t be buying a bolt gun from them in the future. Tikka it is.
    Brother, sorry to hear about this experience with Savage. What an embarrassment for that company, they oughta' be ashamed of how their service department has (not) handled this. With the usual caveat that this is a single example (making it hard to draw broad-brush conclusions), it kind of reinforces the impression I've had about the whole Savage entry into the AR market: that this is not their primary area of competence. Although this probably puts me in the minority, I'm not even terribly impressed with their bolt gun offerings. Aside from the accuracy and easy barrel changes they are known for, the machining quality, and reliability, of even their bolt guns was not really up to par. I sold my last Savage bolt gun years ago, and other than some mildly interesting improvements like their "Accustock", they haven't really changed or improved things about the action design.

Again, sorry about your bad experience, but agree with your conclusions and moving to Tikka as an affordable/quality bolt gun option. So, I guess the search for a RELIABLE, sub 8 pound, sub $1500, AR10 continues.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey Maximus83; thanks for the kind words.

A quick update:

It appears I jumped the gun, when I said Savage did not replace the bolt. They did. I mistakenly identified the new bolt for the old bolt because the wear pattern was SUPER consistent. I called Savage to complain about the lack of bolt replacement, and the rep checked the notes on the rifle and claims that 40 rounds where fired at the range fro function test. This means that in 40 rounds wear is already starting on multiple lugs. I took the rifle to the range and fired an additional 65 rounds. The wear on the bolt continued to get worse. What was most interesting is that the action started to get really sluggish. The gun was ejecting fine, yet chambering really weakly. Every time the mag was empty it would lock back, but even loading a new mag and hitting the bolt release would get a weak stroke and require running the charging handle or forward assist. The only things I can think of to fix this would be to properly grease the BCG (it was dry), or replace the buffer or buffer spring.

Right now I am just waiting on Savage's reply. I sent them pictures of the bolt wear and the rep said he was gonna show them to the master smith.

Feedback Score
    As much as I wanted to love on the Savage that little voice in the back of my head said to hold off buying one, Glad I did!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast