Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage MSR 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Savage MSR 10

Hey thread warriors,

Anyone here have real experience with a savage MSR 10? I was looking into building a large frame, but at the price I can get this thing for I figure why bother? Mr Gunzandgear did a review on the 556 version of the savage MSR line and he thought it was an amazing rifle. The Accuracy was on another level compared to most other rack grade rifles. The small frame and the adjustable gas block plus a Savage barrel makes this gun seem like a real winner on paper.

If I did pick one up, I want to migrate my 1-8x to have a handy 308 carbine. Then I'll throw a RDS on the 556 gun the 1-8 currently sits on.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Haven't seen anything other than the collection of youtube "experts"
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    My wife bought me one for my birthday, and I've on managed to get about 100 rounds through it. That being said, I really like this rifle. My next outing with it will be to re-zero the rifle, since on my last outing i noticed that my scope had shifted in the rings by about a half inch (my fault). Groups have been in the 1 inch range at 100. Things that I've noticed are that it has a 3 ounce carbine buffer in it, and it is most likely a proprietary upper and lower cut. It resembles an Armalite but may be slightly shorter, I would like to find a place that has dpms, armalite, and the msr to do a side be side comparison. Barrels are supposed to a common cut (dpms?) no confirmation on that yet either. The place where my wife bought it, the owners son is our local Savage sales rep so maybe I can get some info from him. But I do like this rifle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ChefDimentia- Thanks for your perspective. Come back to this thread with any pictures or range reports when you shoot that stick more. Also if anyone could confirm that the MSR-10 uses standard 308DPMS barrels? Even though I have huge respect for savage barrel making skills, I really like the idea of having different length and profile options from a company like faxon. I really like the idea of a light weight AR10, and nothing would make that better than a small frame with a skinny barrel.

Feedback Score
    The barrel is as DPMS style, i haven't done to much with the rifle lately. I went out the other day to shoot it and couldn't hit a damned box at 100 consistently. After getting frustrated and putting the rifle away i noticed the barrel was loose!. That explains it my issue that day, i haven't been back out yet.
    2017-07-01 11.24.10.jpg

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's encouraging.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I spent a lot of time going over the rifles and the internals at Savage's booth (Vista Outdoor Group which also includes Federal).

Savage really did their homework on these. The long range version has extended length gas for the 6.5 Creedmoor, adjustable gas that uses a cylinder and not a set screw port choke. The cylinder is adjustable with a cartridge tip, no special tools needed.

Handguard is very slim with MLOK.

Feels like handling an AR15 almost.

2-stage trigger breaks clean and 2nd stage is crisp and light.

I think this is the small frame AR10 to beat currently on the market because you really don't have to do anything to it, aren't stuck with a barrel ported too short, don't need to buy another trigger, don't need to try to change the gas system from what was supposedly working from the manufacturer, don't need a new handguard, and at the most, only will involve a pistol grip and maybe stock change per user taste.

This is the 6th small frame AR10 so far. Update: Now at least 7

1st: Colt AR10A 1959
    2nd: Colt LE901
    3rd: DPMS GII (at least 6 versions from AP4, MOE, Recon, Hunter, Bull, Compact Hunter)
    4th: Mega SF-MATEN (still haven't seen production on this)
    5th: Remington CSASS (really an enhanced GII variant under the same parent conglomerate)
    6th: Savage MSR-10
    7th: Palmetto State Armory PX-10 (looks like it uses DPMS GII receivers)
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 08-07-17 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    LRRPF52- I agree with a lot of what you said about the savage msr10 not needing much.

Do you know if there is any commonality between the savage small frame and the Remington or Mega?? Or are all of these small frames 100% proprietary to the manufacture?

Feedback Score
    turnburgular, I believe all the short frames are proprietary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    I spent a lot of time going over the rifles and the internals at Savage's booth (Vista Outdoor Group which also includes Federal).

Savage really did their homework on these. The long range version has extended length gas for the 6.5 Creedmoor, adjustable gas that uses a cylinder and not a set screw port choke. The cylinder is adjustable with a cartridge tip, no special tools needed.

Handguard is very slim with MLOK.

Feels like handling an AR15 almost.

2-stage trigger breaks clean and 2nd stage is crisp and light.

I think this is the small frame AR10 to beat currently on the market because you really don't have to do anything to it, aren't stuck with a barrel ported too short, don't need to buy another trigger, don't need to try to change the gas system from what was supposedly working from the manufacturer, don't need a new handguard, and at the most, only will involve a pistol grip and maybe stock change per user taste.

This is the 5th small frame AR10 so far.

1st: Colt AR10A 1959
    2nd: Colt LE901
    3rd: DPMS GII (at least 6 versions from AP4, MOE, Recon, Hunter, Bull, Compact Hunter)
    4th: Mega SF-MATEN (still haven't seen production on this)
    5th: Remington CSASS (really an enhanced GII variant under the same parent conglomerate)
    6th: Savage MSR-10
    Your missing one small frame ar 10 and that is the adams arms.
    I tend to think there is some commonality between the manufacturers on the small frame. What it is in agreements or design commonality I do not know. It would be interesting to have a manufacturers rep chime in on this subject.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast