Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Savage MSR 10

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No, I mean sell the new one when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Yea I asked them to just buy it back from me, and they refused.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    No, I mean sell the new one when you get it.
    Yea I have thought about that too. Doesn't help when the market is flat, and you have a brand that has 9 pages of complaints. I also hate the idea of taking a loss and immorally trading a rifle. I try not to do stuff in life, that I would punch someone in the face over; and trading an intentionally bad rifle is one of those. Im talking to the credit card company today to see if I have any recourse from their end. I also did some digging and got the email address of the new CEO and owner of Savage. If this new rifle sucks than I might just send a note straight to him.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Saw this thread for the first time today.

Your problem with what you call "double feeds" is in fact caused by weak extractor springs. Weak extractor springs lets the extractor lose its grip on the rim which reduces the effectiveness of the ejector.

The sluggish carrier is indeed due to a weak action spring.

I think a 3.8 oz buffer is too light. If I understand this thread correctly, the Savage uses carbine length buffers. If so, switch to an H2 buffer and a Sprinco blue or maybe red spring.

After fixing the extractor spring problem, adjust the gas block so the rifle ejects and locks back consistently with the least amount of gas and leave it. You cannot properly adjust the gas until you fix the extraction issue. Do not try to tune it using the ejection pattern. That's a fool's errand.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the wear on the bolt. It may be due to using a buffer that's too light and a weak spring.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-11-20 at 07:19.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey thanks for popping by!

When I get the new rifle before even firing I'm gonna do a full tear down and re-lube. I'll make sure to check the extractor spring and see if it has a buffer or O ring, and if not I will add some to get more tension. I'll also try a heavier buffer. From the very first round, Im gonna try and tune the gas system to be minimal. Just simple: fire the gun while loosely holding it and see if the bolt locks back. Add gas until I get bolt lock.

One idea my buddy came up with: could I just buy a new bolt? Like I know the bolt carrier is proprietary, but does anyone think I could get a regular LR308 bolt? I heard someone mention that these Savage guns use a regular LR308 barrel extension. I might have to take the BCG to a friendly gun store and see if a bolt will fit. Obvisouly I would have a smith headspace anything before firing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Slight update:

I got my new MSR10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. This one appears to be a newer model because it has the magpul furniture and not the garbage blackhawk that savage was using.

I took it out to the desert, and only got about 35 rounds through the thing. It's new favorite stoppage is a failure to fully go into battery. I believe that the chamber is either tight or has a bur from machining. When a round would get hung up it would require mortaring to get it unstuck. The ammunition I was using was Seller n Belliot 140gr FMJ. It looked like really clean well made ammo. Every case that was mortared out, was subsequently rechambered and all fired fine. in 35 rounds I had to mortar the gun 5 or 6 times. I have already dropped the rifle off with my local gunsmith to let them diagnose it. Besides the tight chamber I asked the smith to see if a regular AR308 bolt would head space properly to see if it opens up options for bolt replacement in the future.

This is what slumming it with Savage looks like....

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Now you have a used gun with problems. Hope it ends well.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Turnburgler, did you perform a lock back check?

I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Turnburgler, did you perform a lock back check?
    I did. It was something like 16 clicks open from fully closed to get reliable lock back. I don't have adjustable gas on a AR15, but if a round was short stroked into the chamber like that, I probably wouldn't have to mortar the gun to get it out? The only times I have ever had to mortar a gun was shooting blanks, or when it got locked up from popped primers. Neither where the situation in this case.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I did. It was something like 16 clicks open from fully closed to get reliable lock back. I don't have adjustable gas on a AR15, but if a round was short stroked into the chamber like that, I probably wouldn't have to mortar the gun to get it out? The only times I have ever had to mortar a gun was shooting blanks, or when it got locked up from popped primers. Neither where the situation in this case.
    Let's see what we can do that's easy that might address your issues-
    - Preservatives/shavings/debris in the chamber. Clean the chamber.
    - Tight chamber. Check headspace with a go/no go gauge. (Remove the ejector from the bolt first.) Check with thumb pressure. It shouldn't take much.
    - Underpowered action spring. Try a Sprinco blue or red spring. 308 ARs like their springs to be a bit stiffer.
    - Out of spec ammo. Remove the ejector from the bolt and check the fit of a few rounds using thumb pressure. Do this check also in a rifle that's trouble free.

The above checks will verify if the AR has a tight chamber or not, before doing something expensive like replacing the barrel or selling the rifle at a loss.

I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was gonna shoot the rifle today, after getting it back from the gunsmith on thursday but just didn't have the energy to trek up to main range and deal with the BS after shooting my black rifle match. It's already 85 here in AZ and the drinking the night before didn't help.

Anyways, excuses aside; my gunsmith diagnosed the rifle as having manufacturing debris in the chamber and too steep of a radius on the chamber mouth. He also said the bolt needed bit of love and cleaned up the bolt face and ejectors a lot. Even hand cycling the rifle now it feels a lot better. Savage's QC and machine tolerances are just none exsitent in my opinion. I have had 2 brand new rifles and one rifle they fixed twice, all experience premature wear from tolerance stacking.

I might get out shooting on monday. If I do I'll report back if it runs and what kinda accuracy I get.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast