Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Savage MSR 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got the gun out on Monday like I had planned.

I shot 50 rounds through it with zero stoppages. It appears my gunsmith is far better than Savage's cause my rifle never worked that good after getting it back from them. Im still not a firm believer in the rifle yet, but Im confident enough to continue to purchase ammo and feed it. I didn't have a ton of time too shoot groups, cause I had other rifles I needed to work on; but with 140gr BTHP hornady and 140gr FMJ Seller Belliot, the gun made 5 shots right around an inch. No pics or dial calipers just eyeballing group sized in respect to 1" squares on my shoot and see target. The SB ammo was obviously a little looser in group size, but at the price I am finding it and groups it made; it would be a good economical round.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Slight update on the gun.

Since my smith worked on the bolt and chamber/throat I have ran 150 rounds through the gun over 1 match and 2 range trips. I don't want to jinks myself but I think I finally have what I wanted in this rifle. It hasn't had any more double feeds, no dribbling brass, or failures to eject. Today when I was zeroing it, I was making a neat pile of brass perfectly 4'oclock from the bench a solid 8 feet away. The only negative that has happened since is it seems my gas block has frozen? Even when using the right allen wrench it is almost impossible to make any adjustments. It sucks, but I don't really care because I tuned the gas before it froze, and it seems to run all my loads just fine. I also added an H3 buffer that seemed to help a little. I just bought 500 rounds of Seller and Bellot 140gr FMJ. This is gonna be the go to ammo for shooting my long range AR matches. I shot one last month and the MSR10 with a PA 1-8 was able to get a first round hit on the 550 yard target, but it took 3 shots to get a hit at 650. I think that was my fault though. Either way I got the gun zero'd and I am excited to shoot the next match in two weeks.

Here's the 140gr FMJ group. I want to point out that no 308 FMJ EVER grouped like this for me. So I'm pretty pleased I got the 6.5 CM. Not sure about the flyer because I felt like every trigger pull was good, but I am still not the best shooter for groups.

The gun is kinda dirty because I have only been adding lube, every range trip; but here is the work that my smith did. He polished the face and ejectors.

Appears the wear on the back of the lugs has stopped.

And the work he did on the chamber. Again might not come across clearly cause of dirt, but this seems to have fixed the gun.

I'll post up how my match goes. My opinion on the platform now has changed, but my opinion of Savage has stayed the same. Don't deal with them; just go straight to a competent gunsmith. If I would have done that from the beginning I probably would have saved a TON of heartache and wasted time. Overall though I'm glad I got the 6.5 in the end as the recoil is VERY different from the 308 gun. I don't know if the difference is entirely the cartridge as the 308 had 16" barrel and shorter gas system. the 6.5 has an 18" barrel and slightly longer gas, but it feels much smoother push where as 308 was very snappy. If a regular 556 gun is like 9mm than 308 is the .40 and 6.5 is like shooting .45 if that makes sense?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I put another 100 rounds through the gun at a match. Zero stoppages; bringing the total round count to 250 without cleaning. Now I am pretty happy with the rifle. At the match I was able to hit a majority of my 1 moa targets. There was a sub moa target that eluded me but the optic was a primary arms 1-8 ACSS, so the reticle isn't really suited to precision targets like that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey shooter's thought I would post an update since it has been awhile.

Over the last two years I shot this gun a lot. Probably near 1000 round mark which is a lot of creedmoor. With the factory savage barrel it was never better than a 1.5" gun no matter what I fed it. Since I have a can in jail; I wanted to get a shorter barrel and hoping to get better accuracy.

I ended up getting a Wilson Combat Recon barrel in 6.5CM. It was 16" long and actually 7 Oz lighter than the factory barrel. I'm working through a slight over gassing problem with the gun right now that I think is related to the BCG being lighter weight than a traditional AR10 BCG which is what the barrel would have been gassed for. This gun already had a place in my heart, but now with the new barrel it is unbelievable how well it shoots. Night and day difference. I got to say my buddy who installed the barrel and helped me with load development made the whole thing possible. Dude is an absolute artist in putting together precision AR's.

We took it out to the range and got velocity and dope. The 16" barrel is making 2550 FPS with a 140gr HPBT. It was 10.5 Mils to hit the 1k yard target. Also this gun is lighter than a SCAR17 after the barrel swap.

Feedback Score
    MSR-10 Hunter in .308 should be at me FFL Tuesday if tracking is correct. Now I have to get everything else as it is my first AR in .308win. Hard to find good info on them and most of what is on youtube looks to be paid reviews.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910