Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage MSR 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A small but useful update was announced to the MSR 10 Hunter series in June, Savage CS on the phone confirmed these changes and that they'll be available later this year:

All models:
    * Replaces the Blackhawk buttstock/pistol grip in favor of Magpul MOE buttstock/pistol grip
    * Replaces the Blackhawk trigger with a Schmid Tool tactical trigger (info on the Schmid here)

On the new Overwatch model only:
    * Cosmetics -- receiver/handguard dipped in Mossy Oak finish

These updates are kind of good news IMO; shows that Savage is listening to customers. But if somebody is planning to get the MSR 10 and upgrade the furniture anyway and swap the trigger with a Geissele or similar improved trigger, these changes don't seem worth waiting for.

The one thing I still cannot find 2 years after this rifle was released, is any significant user reporting on the MSR 10 Hunter. Accuracy, reliability, barrel upgrades, etc. I've heard positive feedback on the design similar to LRRPF52's comments, but that's about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    A small but useful update was announced to the MSR 10 Hunter series in June, Savage CS on the phone confirmed these changes and that they'll be available later this year:

All models:
    * Replaces the Blackhawk buttstock/pistol grip in favor of Magpul MOE buttstock/pistol grip
    * Replaces the Blackhawk trigger with a Schmid Tool tactical trigger (info on the Schmid here)
    Hey Thanks for the update. I just purchased my own MSR10 hunter, and it came with all the last gen parts.

The trigger isnt terrible, but when you are used to G & L triggers it leaves some to be desired. I had an extra larue trigger that I threw into the gun after my first range trip. I also swapped out the pistol grip pretty fast. It was bad, like; really, really bad. The stock isnt so terrible except the butt pad. It has this thick cellular pad that has a weird chamfer where it touches the shoulder. Like it would be more effective if it was flat; and I might look into trimming up the stock pad to fix it. My last complaint with the rifle out of the box it was super dry, except for the trigger. For some reason there was too much grease on the trigger. I had to lube the gun, shoot 80 rounds, and then add more lube. I just like my AR's like my women- wet.

Questionable furniture aside, I absolutely LOVE this gun. I paid $1299 before taxes at bass pro, and feel the fit and finish is excellent. The anno is a deep black that matches on the upper, lower and rail, and came out of the box with only the most minor of blemishes. It would be considered A+ for a Colt. I only have 80 rounds of xm80 thew it with zero stoppages. I havent played with the gas system yet. My first range trip was 'rushed' due too 110F weather in direct sun. The rifle was litterally getting to hot to hold after letting it sit on the bench whileI walked dodwn range to change targets. Besides this terrible heat; I didnt properly torque the mount to the rail, and consiquently had a wondering zero. This made engaging 8" steel targets at 150-250 yards challenging. It was too hot anyways, so I stopped at my 4th box of ammo and went home.

Since then I went back to bass pro and purchased a few different boxes of ammo: 155 amax, 168 BTHP, 175 Gold medal match, and 180 fusion. I have a torque wrench and loctite showing up on friday. Hopefully my second range trip will be more fruitfull and allow me to see what ammo the gun likes. Once I get 300 rounds through it, I will post a more formal review. A semi auto has to be accurate and reliable. Accuracy is easy enough to test, but reliability has to be proven. It's just hard to get the round count high with the cost of 308.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I looked real hard at Savage a year ago and info was hard to get to say the least, I played it safe and bought a Armalite AR10 instead. No complaints so far and for what's it worth I still haven't seen a lot of comments from users of the Savage.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have decided to avoid them mainly because I don't like being the earliest adopter of a new platform of almost anything. I guess I've been bitten too many times, I work at a software company and so have been thru the issue a lot of times of shoddy new applications that get released with too many bugs. It seems like a problem that plagues everything from cars to firearms manufacturers--look at all the recalls from the big ones in just the past 5 years or so.

Truly hope this turns out to be a great AR10 offering at its price point. Really interested to get more info and @turnburglar, look forward to reading your range report, good luck with that rifle.

Feedback Score
    I agree with first buyers regret, I still like the Savage but how it holds up over the long haul we'll have to wait and see.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    That is a great looking rifle and only time will tell how the thin walled bolt will hold up? Let us know how she's doing after you get some time and a can or 2 of ammo through it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    only time will tell how the thin walled bolt will hold up?
    Not sure why you think that. I looked up a picture of an AR10 bolt face and it looks almost identical to a savage.

This is an SR25 bolt -

and here's an MSR 10 (iirc 300 rounds??)

Feedback Score
    My understanding is Savage is using a AR15 sized bolt made from AerMet alloy because of the thin walls, After looking at my Armalite AR10 bolt it looks to be more robust then the Savage that I've seen at the Cabelas near me. Not to beat a dead horse only time will tell how the Savage stands up? If it does work out you can put me down for one!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    My understanding is Savage is using a AR15 sized bolt made from AerMet alloy because of the thin walls
    Can you site or refernce where you found the bolt material? I spent about 15 minutes in google and I couldnt find listed materials for savage OR KAC. I'm not saying the specs dont exist, they just where not readily found in a search engine. As for the dimensions- 'thin bolt walls'- I posted two different pics. Without taking my micrometer out, it's safe to say savage copied KAC's homework. I think, you are thinking about a different small frame 308 AR, and have it confused with the savage.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast