Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage MSR 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    double post
    Last edited by turnburglar; 07-22-19 at 11:55.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    When I became interested in the Savage I spent a lot of time researching what ever I could find on which was not a lot. After a lot of dead ends I called Savage, What I wanted to know was what after market parts might fit like hand guards and barrels and who ever I talked to told me about the bolt and carrier. Give them a call, they were decent to me.
    5shank

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I was prepping my guns for tomorow's range trip, and thought I would snap a few pictures of the MSR 10 bolt. Once again, the MSR 10 DOES NOT have thin bolt walls.

Msr 10 on the left, regular 556 on the right.

In the last picture you can see some of the only similarities between the MSR 10 and a real AR15. The back of the BCG is like the back of an AR15 BCG and not big like a traditional large frame AR10. The MSR 10's BCG being like an AR15 is also the reason these guns use a regular carbine buffer, and not a shorty 308 buffer. The bolts themselves are totaly different in every way. Not even the proportions/ratios are the same. If anything I'd expect the MSR 10 bolt to last a very long time.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 07-31-19 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I got in the 2nd range trip with the MSR 10. To start; I am not a proffesional benchrest shooter. In fact today was my very first time shooting in that manner and only my 2nd time behind this gun. Optic used was a primary arms 1-8x on a Larue MBT2s trigger. I didnt have a micrometer or tape so the pictures need to speak for themselves.

175 Gold Medal Match- 5 shot group, ignore the 6th round on the right from another group.

155 A max Hornady.

This was a really fun experiement. I had another box of 168 BTHP made by winchester that shot pretty poorly. Im not sure if I was just finding my rythem for shooting groups but it would constantly throw a flyer and then 2 touching. I look forward to testing more ammo in the future and further refining my skills. I now have a little more confidence in this purchases knowing it will shoot if I spend the money on ammo. At around 160 rounds through the gun with zero stoppages.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the pics--looks promising already. Will be interesting to hear as you keep working on it what variables you think are impacting the accuracy, including the factory trigger.

How are you supporting the rifle when shooting for groups? Bipod, front rest, rear bags, etc?

Also, how do you find the recoil pulse on this rifle, compared to say 5.56 as a benchmark?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Right now I think optics and shooter would make the biggest impact on accuracy. Eliminate atleast some slop from the groups.

I was using a front rest, and rear bag with my non firing hand supporting the stock and forearm touching the pistol grip. I felt pretty steady but I was using an LPVO and a cheaper one at that.

For recoil impulse it feels like a DI AR, its just moving a MUCH bigger round than the 556 everyone is used to shooting. My wife doesnt like shooting more than 20-30 rounds, but I dont mind shooting it at all. One thing I did notice was that for some reason I have to pay attention WAYYY more to the fundementals to get good groups with this gun than a 556. I think it has to do with shooter flinch being higher and follow through just seems to matter alot more with a 308. I have limited time behind an LMT aswell but shot that gun so long ago it wouldnt be fair to make a comparison to the recoil signatures. I didnt extensively tune the gas system today, but I did turn it down one click and it seems to have taken the punch out a little? Cycled fine but ejected brass at 1:30-2 o clock. Might play around with the gas system more once I find a load I plan to stock up on.

Feedback Score
    I am still on the fence on this one, I will like to see how they hold up in hard use environment.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This interests me. I also would like to see it put through a couple carbine classes or something. The price is substantially lower than LMT/Knights, and somewhat lower than DD.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have about 280 rounds of 1979 surplus ammo. Shoots like 2" + groups at 50 yards. So when I start going back into the desert and doing my own drills with ipsc targets I'll burn that to get the round count higher. I have decided not to clean the gun and instead just add lube every range trip. Im gonna look for a DMR style class; if you can recommend one let me know.

Im working to acquire more loads to run through the gun and I will post them here. The bolt is actually matched to the barrel and has the serial number on it. I think this gun might be capable of some pretty good accuracy.

Feedback Score

Savage MSR 10

Hey turnburglar, IF these targets are from 100yds., I'd say these look Awesome and she (MSR10) likes both of these rounds but the bottom target, your Savage MSR10 likes the 155gr. Hornady alittle bit more....?

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    So I got in the 2nd range trip with the MSR 10. To start; I am not a proffesional benchrest shooter. In fact today was my very first time shooting in that manner and only my 2nd time behind this gun. Optic used was a primary arms 1-8x on a Larue MBT2s trigger. I didnt have a micrometer or tape so the pictures need to speak for themselves.

175 Gold Medal Match- 5 shot group, ignore the 6th round on the right from another group.

155 A max Hornady.

This was a really fun experiement. I had another box of 168 BTHP made by winchester that shot pretty poorly. Im not sure if I was just finding my rythem for shooting groups but it would constantly throw a flyer and then 2 touching. I look forward to testing more ammo in the future and further refining my skills. I now have a little more confidence in this purchases knowing it will shoot if I spend the money on ammo. At around 160 rounds through the gun with zero stoppages.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast