Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage MSR 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yea it's kinda the nature of the beast when you are dealing with a super proprietary gun. I dont blame them either; I would never trust a consumer to properly head space a bolt. Even with a KAC though I could find and buy a SR25 bolt ($580) if I really wanted to have a spare. I think the problem I am having really comes down to tolerance stacking, and I will probably send the gun back next week. I seem to be the first person to report this problem on the internet and dont know if its inherint to the MSR 10 line up. I doubt it though and will report back how Savage takes care of it. Sucks when you actually shoot guns and dont just look at them like most gun owners.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    That is a lot of wear on the lugs for the number of rounds you have fired. On my GAP and my Armalite "T" I have several thousands rounds on them and my bolt does look anything like that, if it breaks send it back. It will be a challenge dealing with Savage when it comes to BCG's, and barrels, just like Maximus83 stated, they are going to want the rifle back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Yea it's kinda the nature of the beast when you are dealing with a super proprietary gun. I dont blame them either; I would never trust a consumer to properly head space a bolt. Even with a KAC though I could find and buy a SR25 bolt ($580) if I really wanted to have a spare. I think the problem I am having really comes down to tolerance stacking, and I will probably send the gun back next week. I seem to be the first person to report this problem on the internet and dont know if its inherint to the MSR 10 line up. I doubt it though and will report back how Savage takes care of it. Sucks when you actually shoot guns and dont just look at them like most gun owners.
    Hey Tb.,
    FYI: & FWIW: I recall seeing a video not too long ago, where there was this guy having similar problems, the Co., is Well know and anyhow, turned out there was a mistake upon assembly of said AR10, they installed an AR15 buffer tube<I think?) - Carbine Buffer<Too Light) and Spring.
    The Co. sent out right away the correct replacement(s) (they didn't require the return of the wrong parts either) and he was up and runnig in something like 2 or 3 days!
    Might be worth checking your Buffer/Spring setup, Do you or (some buddies) have another AR10 to Weight and compare these parts IF Not, IF You have Cool Gun Shop in your area where they would help You out just looking and Weighting your Buff. Stuff!

Peace
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 08-12-19 at 07:26.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My gun has a A5 tube with a HEAVY spring in it, and a Carbine buffer.

I'll call Savage soon and see what they say it is supposed to have.

UPDATE:

So I just got off the phone with Savage. They claim it is supposed to have an AR10 buffer? I am almost certain mine has a Carbine buffer (3.0 oz). So that's another thing that will be on the notes for warranty coverage. I also asked them if the bolt release was proprietary to them or standard AR10, and they didnt really know. It's a cheap enough part to just buy and compare. Also they claimed that they would not sell me a 6.5 Creedmore upper, and that I would have to buy the complete firearm. At Savage's price point that is actually not an insane proposition, I was just hoping they would acknowledge the AR's high adaptability.

Anyway the gun is going back for warranty repair, and they claim its there goal to have a 3 week turn around time. I'll report back when I get the gun back. If it really did have the wrong buffer, was over gassed, and has a poor fit with the reciever extension; Im excited to see how it shoots with all those problems fixed? Maybe it will reduce the fliers in my groups?

One more EDIT:

I just looked and an AR10 and AR15 carbine buffer are the same? I guess it is the AR308 buffer that is shorter??? Can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by turnburglar; 08-13-19 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

UPDATE:

So I just got off the phone with Savage. They claim it is supposed to have an AR10 buffer? I am almost certain mine has a Carbine buffer (3.0 oz). So that's another thing that will be on the notes for warranty coverage. I also asked them if the bolt release was proprietary to them or standard AR10, and they didnt really know. It's a cheap enough part to just buy and compare. Also they claimed that they would not sell me a 6.5 Creedmore upper, and that I would have to buy the complete firearm. At Savage's price point that is actually not an insane proposition, I was just hoping they would acknowledge the AR's high adaptability.

Anyway the gun is going back for warranty repair, and they claim its there goal to have a 3 week turn around time. I'll report back when I get the gun back. If it really did have the wrong buffer, was over gassed, and has a poor fit with the reciever extension; Im excited to see how it shoots with all those problems fixed? Maybe it will reduce the fliers in my groups?

One more EDIT:

I just looked and an AR10 and AR15 carbine buffer are the same? I guess it is the AR308 buffer that is shorter??? Can anyone confirm this?
    DPMS pattern guns use a AR15 carbine length buffer tube and a short buffer, where Armalite and SR25 pattern guns use a slightly longer (A5 length) buffer tube and a buffer that is similar in size to an AR15 carbine buffer.

If your MSR10 came from Savage with an A5 length receiver extension my guess is they are using an Armalite style buffer system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does anyone know how the gas block is retained on the msr 10’s? Would a dmps gen 2 charging handle fit the msr since they are both short frames? And has anyone confirmed if they are using a standard bolt catch?

Thanks for any insight

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by watercop08 View Post
    Does anyone know how the gas block is retained on the msr 10’s? Would a dmps gen 2 charging handle fit the msr since they are both short frames? And has anyone confirmed if they are using a standard bolt catch?

Thanks for any insight
    Set screws, no, and- send me one and I wil compare it. I have watched most of small arms solutions videos on the small frames, and there are very few similarities. The two most similar guns are the Savage and Colt, but 'similar' does not mean 'plug and play'.

EDIT: Took the gun out again yesterday and put another ~40 rounds through it. Now I am around 220 rounds total. Had another double feed within the first 5 shots. Tuning the gas system improved ejection quite abit. It went from ejecting at 1'o clock weakly, to firmly throwing the brass like an AR should out to the 3-4'o clock. Took about 5 clicks out of the system and got it to lock back while loosly holding the gun. My only complaint about the gas system is that you need a really slim allen key to adjust it, and a bullet tip or pen WILL NOT work. Kinda wish they made it more field expedient. Otherwise it is a really solid design that positively clicks into location.

Also want to report that with the larue trigger ripping off double taps was easy, even with 308 recoil. Only slightly slower than a 556 gun in my hands.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 08-15-19 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    Hey turnbuglar,

I ran out this morning late to work because I wanted to grab up My AR10 Buff., I weight it at work and Mine is 108grams or 3.8oz

I didn't have enough time to check out anything else this morning... I will try to get you more info... But I guess it doesn't really matter now, as they're goin' to take Good care of You!
    I will try and find the video and post a link, I can't remember if the guys problem was (I think it was?) they installed too short of a buffer tube.... So it was forced into a short stroke, buffer was bottoming out,... Spring>? Sorry man, like I said, I will try and find the video for you

I just measured my buff length and it's 2.5" long.

Peace Jeff

PS. Sounds good about how you tuned your Gas system.

UPDATE:

One more EDIT:

Last edited by RVTMaverick; 08-16-19 at 06:39. Reason: Just read turnburglar last post

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I want to keep this topic out there. The Savage MSR 10 and Smith and Wesson M&P10 (free floated) are both intriguing, and the only two AR .308 setups that seem to be good to go for less than...a lot of money.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score

Savage MSR10, What's the Word Buddy?

Hey turnbuglar,

Any word yet as to how your repair(s) are going?

Peace Jeff

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast