Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle brake options for 5.56mm pistols that push noise and concussion downrange?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Muzzle brake options for 5.56mm pistols that push noise and concussion downrange?

New to short barreled firearms, in my case a SIG MCX 5.56mm pistol. Been surrounded by those with SBR's for a long time, but never paid much attention to their muzzle brakes as it was not applicable to me. But now that I own a pistol with an 11.5" barrel, it is applicable, and I am wondering if there exists a muzzle break that both helps with muzzle climb and recoil, as well as directs the noise and concussion of the 5.56mm round downrange? Logic tells me that anything pushed downrange will INCREASE felt recoil, so not sure if possible unless I go with a can.

I have seen many back in the day use the Noveske KX3 flash suppressor on SBR's, but as far as I know, it doesn't do any muzzle rise braking. On my carbines I have used several, my favorite being the Griffin Arms M4SD, but all of them have significant concussion to those next to me. With an 11.5" barrel, this would only be worse. Plus, the intended purpose for this collapsible brace MCX pistol will often be in a vehicle, so muzzle brake concussions inside a vehicle, or very near the window, is a big concern.

So, any options for a short barreled pistol firing a 5.56mm rifle round? Or do I just need to stop waiting for the "Save Our Hearing" firearm suppressor legislation to get considered and passed and just get my paperwork in on a can and wait?

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Personally I'd get the can going and wait. You'll get it back long before the hpa could potentially pass, if even at all.

But for now get the muzzle device that works with your future suppressor and get one of the detachable blast cans to use when shooting with others. Some poke fun at them but they do work.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 07-02-17 at 22:48.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll just say this....after several years of very professional training experiences.

Use whatever floats your boat.

But I'll be the guy standing as far away from you as possible in training classes, and DO NOT enter a shoot house with me using that monster noise maker.

But....God bless America.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd wait on a can, but the Claymore works really well pushing noise and flash downrange. I used one on my 7.5"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog01 View Post
    I'd wait on a can, but the Claymore works really well pushing noise and flash downrange. I used one on my 7.5"
    Yeah, sorta knew it was now time for a can. The Troy Claymore will work till then, but I think I will grind off the teeth on the front, as I keep this in a covert backpack and those teeth will shred the cordura pocket the tip of the barrel rests in. I hope I find a used one somewhere since I am going to mutilate it...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    Yeah, sorta knew it was now time for a can. The Troy Claymore will work till then, but I think I will grind off the teeth on the front, as I keep this in a covert backpack and those teeth will shred the cordura pocket the tip of the barrel rests in. I hope I find a used one somewhere since I am going to mutilate it...

Rmpl
    I went to a used sports gear store and bought a tennis racket case for $10.
    Perfect fit, is padded all the way around, has two small accessory pockets inside and a full size one outside, as well as both a carry handle and shoulder. It's just big enough for my MPX...
    Last edited by Ohsheepdog01; 07-03-17 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog01 View Post
    I went to a used sports gear store and bought a tennis racket case for $10.
    Perfect fit, is padded all the way around, has two small accessory pockets inside and a full size one outside, as well as both a carry handle and shoulder. It's just big enough for my MPX...
    Yep, have one of those for my AK74... But I want some additional pockets and organization capability a backpack provides over a tennis racket case. Cheap option though, for sure. I also have an industrial walking foot sewing machine, so I modified mine some, as i do most web gear and bags when I find the right ones.

Rmpl

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post

Rmpl
    A Covert Backpack should have a Covert Comp.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    JAL linear from AR Performance works very well, is cheap if you get a blem, and keeps the gun short. Claymore works well but it's a big hunk of metal on the end of a barrel you intentionally wanted as short as possible.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/2121/39188

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Personally I'd get the can going and wait.
    Yep, just did. Found a Sig Sauer SDR5 5.56 on sale for $259 and now almost have a trust set up. The SDR5 is not the coolest, sexiest can on the block, but for the price and my needs, it is perfect, even down to the SIG taper lock.

Thanks to all who responded!

Rmpl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast