Thread: What the best to use?

Feedback Score

Question What the best to use?

I'm still kinda new at shooting. I was wondering what the best kind of ammo is I should use. I have a DPMS M4. I haven't done anything to it...yet. Just barebones right now and I want to make sure i'm shooting the good stuff.

Any help would be great!

I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so ****in' heroic!!

Feedback Score
    Federal or Hornady is always good, sometimes pricey though. Ammoman.com has really good deals as well, they deal in bulk so the prices are lower.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 on Ammoman.com A coworker of mine is good friends with the guy who owns that site.

As far as what ammo to use, if you're just plinking or target shooting at this point, I'd use some milspec 55grain ammo. My target ammo is the Federal XM-193 or equivalent. Check your local gun store for some good deals. You usually get a better deal (price/bullet) if you buy in bulk, so if you can foot the cash I recommend doing so.

I avoid the Wolf brand. They're pretty dirty, plus I've had a few bad primers.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    Given the current price of ammo I'd be looking for the best value. Mil-Spec 5.56 would be preferred over comercial .223.
    +1 on staying away from Wolf. The AR platform wasn't really designed to shoot the steel case ammo and the quality of Wolf leaves something to be desired.

Other than the suggestions above, I'd see if theere are any gunshows in your area. Around here we have a few ammo dealers who offer good deals at the shows...plus you save shipping.

Feedback Score
    I shoot only XM-193 Lake City (Federal) 55grs FMJ that I buy in 500 round
    cases.

Stay away from Wolf Ammo. Period!
    "We make war that we may live in peace."
    -Aristotle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like Privi Partisan ammunition. It's cheap and it works well. Most of the domestic .223 ammunition is great also, just sometimes a bit pricey.

Wow four posts and no one has slaughtered this guy yet.
    Good job folks! Either DPMS has begun making "M4 Carbine.net acceptable rifles" or the hardened veterans haven't replied yet .
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    * Assuming your DPMS is the normal 1/9 twist, non chrome lined and 16" barrell, you should be fine with anything 69g and lower. You may be hit and miss with 77g ammo.
    * Any reputable brand should be fine.
    * Fire a bunch of 5.56 first to see if you have any chamber problems, if not good to go.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    for plinking-whatever's cheap...

for important stuff.. probably hornady TAP or mil surp ammo.

reloading is a fun and cost saving thing to do as well.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmatusCivis91 View Post
    Federal or Hornady is always good, sometimes pricey though. Ammoman.com has really good deals as well, they deal in bulk so the prices are lower.
    Just check the site out, those are good prices... thanks for posting the link