Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Golden Boy 22lr Lever Action

Feedback Score

Henry Golden Boy 22lr Lever Action

Every summer the extended family takes a trip around the west and spends a few days in Ketchum, ID. I've used that opportunity to introduce my kids to shooting starting with my son and bolt 22s. The Hurtig shooting center in Hailey is a great place to work with kids. Lots of steel, covered shooting positions and friendly people.

Started my son with 22 bolt guns prone and now he runs his AR like a metronome on the steel.

Started his sister this year after some apprehension on shooting. Thought it would fitting for the location so I got a Henry Lever Action 22 Golden Boy with a youth stock. What a hoot to shoot. Hurtig has two arrays of knockdown plates that were really fun to work the Lever Action.

The Rifleman I am not.

Pretty happy with the rifle. Fits the kids pretty well. Nice trigger and a smooth action. The half-clock setting is not very far off fired so it it hard to see at a glance. I guess no 22 Lever has side loading, so you have to load the tube from the muzzle end. Held 10 22lr initially, it takes 12 now.

Then ball on post and the valley aiming is new to me. Not a precision tool, but got me on 12 inch steel at 100 yards.

Great rifle to have some fun with and play cowboy. Good looks with the mirror finish on the brass receiver. 100% reliable.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Sounds awesome! I love the actions on those Henery 22's.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd like to see you use that in the Steel Dogs match this weekend!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    I'd like to see you use that in the Steel Dogs match this weekend!
    I thought about bringing it just for giggles. Talk about making the 30 yard one interesting. Son's CZ still is acting up. I'm going to work on it today and give him the option of not shooting if we can't get it back to feeding right. It still has a tendency to want slide the bolt out if run vigorously. I don't have issues with it, but he does. Of course he actually finishes the 60 sec course of fire with time to spare, so I'm not going to question his bolt running skill.

With vacation and work travel, I just haven't had time to tear it all down.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Golden Boy in .17 HMR. It's a pretty rifle, but some caveats...

• The golden finish on the zamak pot-metal receiver is just painted on, not plated. It scratches and scuffs very easily and can't be polished out
    • The action is smooth as butter, but it's not necessarily reliable. Cycle too fast and you'll get a difficult-to-clear jam
    • The larger lever-loop is really practical - a valuable add-on IMHO
    • Customer service at Henry is typically excellent. Send an email and you're likely to get a reply right from Anthony Imperato, the owner. They really do bend over backwards.

Feedback Score
    I see what you mean about the receiver. I thought it was solid brass. I'm starting to understand why they had scroll work on old guns- it hides scratches

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I taught my kids to shoot on a large loop Henry 22 as well. A friend cut down a spare stock to youth length. My boy took to it like a natural. It's still their favorite rifle to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Henry's get all the attention, but the best lever action 22 you can buy is the Browning BL-22. It's almost double the price, but the quality and craftsmanship is far superior. It's a rifle you can pass down for generations.

Feedback Score
    I am happy with my Henry GB .22 LR. & .22 Mag.
    USMC RVN Vet. 0311,68/69.

Feedback Score
    Am I the only one who thought the Henry Golden Boy looks tacky and has a god awful stock angle? That said whatever gets someone started.
    Last edited by Xbox and ARs; 03-07-19 at 14:31.
    Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.-Andrew Jackson
    كافر

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast