Every summer the extended family takes a trip around the west and spends a few days in Ketchum, ID. I've used that opportunity to introduce my kids to shooting starting with my son and bolt 22s. The Hurtig shooting center in Hailey is a great place to work with kids. Lots of steel, covered shooting positions and friendly people.

Started my son with 22 bolt guns prone and now he runs his AR like a metronome on the steel.

Started his sister this year after some apprehension on shooting. Thought it would fitting for the location so I got a Henry Lever Action 22 Golden Boy with a youth stock. What a hoot to shoot. Hurtig has two arrays of knockdown plates that were really fun to work the Lever Action.

The Rifleman I am not.

Pretty happy with the rifle. Fits the kids pretty well. Nice trigger and a smooth action. The half-clock setting is not very far off fired so it it hard to see at a glance. I guess no 22 Lever has side loading, so you have to load the tube from the muzzle end. Held 10 22lr initially, it takes 12 now.

Then ball on post and the valley aiming is new to me. Not a precision tool, but got me on 12 inch steel at 100 yards.

Great rifle to have some fun with and play cowboy. Good looks with the mirror finish on the brass receiver. 100% reliable.