Thread: tracers

Feedback Score

tracers

What effect, if any, will firing high volumes of tracer rounds have on a chrome lined 5.56 barrel?

Anyone have experience?

Feedback Score
    I had read somewhere that small amounts of the trace compound left in the barrel can burn hot enough to damage the barrel/lining. The related suggestions were to either not shoot tracers or follow up by shooting standard ammo to blow out any remaining trace residue. This is my understanding and opinion, not necessairly fact.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well...

M856 tracer jackets are steel. So there might be a little accelerated wear on a barrel.

Military tracers don't light until after at least 50 yards (roughly 50 yards for red tip and 80 yards for Orange tip, IIRC.) from the barrel... so I wouldn't worry about that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Well...

M856 tracer jackets are steel. So there might be a little accelerated wear on a barrel.

Military tracers don't light until after at least 50 yards (roughly 50 yards for red tip and 80 yards for Orange tip, IIRC.) from the barrel... so I wouldn't worry about that.
    I knew someone with more experience would be along, thanks demi. I read somewhere about the trace residue left in the barrel, I think it may have been the AR-15 owner's guide, but don't quote me. It has been years since I've even picked it up. I should have thought of the 50yrd light off from what few tracers I've used in the past. Thanks again, I learn something everyday

Feedback Score
    I've come into a sizeable number of them and I'm not sure if I wanted to shoot them as practice rounds or sell them off.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Deleted for duplicate posting.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 10-04-08 at 14:01. Reason: Deleted Duplicate posting
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Reifert View Post
    I've come into a sizeable number of them and I'm not sure if I wanted to shoot them as practice rounds or sell them off.
    Thanks!
    IMHO, they are too expensive to use as practice ammo on a regular basis unless you are either: a terrible shot, rich, foolish (because they are a fire hazard) or impressing someone. I've shot some just for shits and giggles, but that's it. Most are loaded in mags in my SHTF ammo can. I have two at the end of every mag as a reminder that I'm out of ammo, in the event I'll ever have to use them.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Expensive? These were not.
    Rich? no.
    Foolish? definately.