Thread: more Galil ACE 556 detail pics

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

more Galil ACE 556 detail pics

Took a few more pics of some of the engineering detail work on the Galil ACE 556.

H

Bolt face detail. IWI is using a AK74esque extractor design. You can also see the notch on the front of the right (as the bolt is in the gun, left in this picture) locking lug. That notch is where the BHO catch grabs the bolt.

Side of bolt. I'm making an assumption that the dot10 marking is used to match bolts to the trunnion and barrel to set headspace when the rifles are being built up initially.

Inside view of dust cover. You can see the screws for attaching the rail and where weld has been ground down for clearance. Also visible is the weld for the rear sight attachment and the pin that retains the rear sight as well as the rear reinforcing strip.

Views of dust cover with rear sight removed. You can see the grub screw that used to apply tension to the rail to force it forward so that it mates tightly with the gas tube. Also viable is a spring that loads the rear sight, I'm assuming for repeatability.

Recoil spring assembly details. The hard rubber buffer is OEM, as is the much softer gasket that keeps oil and gas out of your eye.

Rear sight details. The sight is marked for 300 and 500, with tiny apertures for both. The 300 marking also has tritium lamps, as does the front sight.

Underside of the rear sight, showing the retaining pin and the spring washer under the sight screw.
    Last edited by halmbarte; 07-16-17 at 08:03.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Neat. Thanks for pics.

I'm most interested in how much the zero wanders every time the dust cover/optic are removed and replaced.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Neat. Thanks for pics.

I'm most interested in how much the zero wanders every time the dust cover/optic are removed and replaced.
    So am I. I am going to try and pick a day with still wind later this week and do some testing for accuracy. Last two times I had it out wind was gusty.

H

Feedback Score
    Am I just looking at it wrong or do the Tritium lamps sit lower than the aperture on the 300 leaf?
    Industry Disclosure: I work at a local gun shop.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They are lower, and so I'd the lamp in the front sight.

I'm guessing the technique is to shoot with both eyes open at night and line up everything that way.

H

Feedback Score
    Great pics!
    Anyone knows if the gen-1 dust cover fits the gen-2 ??
    I would like to have the iron sight back.

Feedback Score
    Got one this week. These things sure are heavy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OhThatGuy View Post
    Got one this week. These things sure are heavy.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nice twist on the Lazy Susan.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!