Thread: Converting LMT MWS308 to CA Featureless

Feedback Score

Converting LMT MWS308 to CA Featureless

Folks,

I have been going back and forth with this since I purchased my LMT MWS308 late last year.

Featureless vs. register or until the US Supreme Court can overturn the law.

From what I can tell all I am going to have to do is change the stock to a featureless one and remove any "evil" features like the bullet-button.

I have been trying to get a list of parts from LMT to determine if the magazine release button is proprietary (since I have a BB now).

I do not have a "flash suppressor" - it shipped with an A2 Birdcage Compensator.

There does not appear to be many fixed stock companies out there for the .308 or I may not have found them?

I did see one from Survivor Systems - OptionZero that looks and feels pretty good (checked one out on a 5.56) but that has not been released yet.

https://survivorsystems.com/collections/all

Are there any other options or has anyone converted theirs to featureless for CA?

Is the magazine release button proprietary?

The CA DOJ is so messed up - they were supposed to release the process for "registration" back in October/November of 2016 and we still do not know the process or if the website has been setup - thus having me consider the featureless option.

And then we have the ammo purchase Prop. 63 regulations nightmare ---- that could be another topic...

Any advice or direction will be appreciated.

Thanks.

JJ

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    First, calguns.net is your best resource for featureless discussions. Also, nothing in this post should be considered legal advice.

All that said, going featureless isn't that hard or expensive. Switch to a Magpul stock and you can buy a locking pin kit that makes it fixed. Buy a kydex fin grip wrap, or go with a MIAD and exile machine's backfin. You'll need an ambi safety as well. Replace the A2 with a thread protector or brake.

That's it, enjoy your mag release.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymordoc View Post
    Folks,

I have been going back and forth with this since I purchased my LMT MWS308 late last year.

Featureless vs. register or until the US Supreme Court can overturn the law.

From what I can tell all I am going to have to do is change the stock to a featureless one and remove any "evil" features like the bullet-button.

I have been trying to get a list of parts from LMT to determine if the magazine release button is proprietary (since I have a BB now).

I do not have a "flash suppressor" - it shipped with an A2 Birdcage Compensator.

There does not appear to be many fixed stock companies out there for the .308 or I may not have found them?

I did see one from Survivor Systems - OptionZero that looks and feels pretty good (checked one out on a 5.56) but that has not been released yet.

https://survivorsystems.com/collections/all

Are there any other options or has anyone converted theirs to featureless for CA?

Is the magazine release button proprietary?

The CA DOJ is so messed up - they were supposed to release the process for "registration" back in October/November of 2016 and we still do not know the process or if the website has been setup - thus having me consider the featureless option.

And then we have the ammo purchase Prop. 63 regulations nightmare ---- that could be another topic...

Any advice or direction will be appreciated.

Thanks.

JJ
    If the ambi mag release side was taken out (which it should've been if you're in CA), the mag release should have the same threads as a standard mag release, hence why your bullet button works in the first place. No proprietary "button" part.

I wouldn't keep the A2 bird cage on there if I were you. Too close to a flash hider (and a simple google search will find many references to it as a flash hider).

I also wouldn't worry about converting to featureless right now. Because of the DOJ's inability to comply with the law and get the regs/system implemented on time, the legislature and governor passed another bill this year that extends the registration period till July 1, 2018. So you get 6mo extra before you'll need to register.

Feedback Score
    I'm from Cali. To make it featurless, you will need a fixed stock, no flash hider but muzzle break is OK.
    As for the pistol grip you need a grip wrap or a fin grip.
    And of course only 10rd mags are only allowed

#ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    And don't register.

#ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a GAP 10. I put a Luth fixed stock on and a Magpul MIAD with Exile Machine Backfin. The Bartlein barrel already had a comp. I will eventually use a grip wrap and the juggernaut take down pin thumb rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk