Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My life was just turned upside down.......

Feedback Score
    Life is about choices - the actions we take and the actions we choose not to take. This little girl is your flesh and blood. I salute you for being willing to stand with her and save her from the path she was on. I work in the sordid world of abuse and this little girl was on a fast track to abuse, drugs, prison, pregnancy, and an early death... You have in all likelihood saved her life. You have also broken a chain of abuse that would reach down through generations of that part of your family. Good for you! I would really struggle to have a 2 year old dropped on me with no notice - but I would struggle with turning my back on her too.

I am a father of a fantastic 6 month old. We tried for years, spent an obscene amount of money, and eventually got our son. We are still overwhelmed, learning as we go, and sleep deprived. That was with 3 years of preparation. Most things that dramatically change your life happen a little at a time: you meet a girl, you date, you sleep together, you live together, you get married... and then life is different - but its gradual. A child is like train track switches. One day you are you, and selfish, and figuring out how to get a Sig 550 into your house without the wife knowing, and then next you are at Costco buying diapers and baby formula. IT happens all of a sudden.

Find a support group for dads. Get some good books - "raising happiness" leaps to mind. Understand that your relationship with your girlfriend is likely going to change. If its serious, awesome, but if it is not, consider carefully that bringing another "temporary" adult into this childs life is the last thing she needs.

If you have good health insurance, or if she is on state aid, make sure you get her checked for drug induced deficits. They can be overcome but they need to be identified.

Take care of yourself in the process. Raise a strong, opinionated, fierce little girl. We are short of those...

Finally, thank you for stepping up to this responsibility. People like you are what makes this country a great place. Every week I try and identify someone who impresses me and makes me try and be a better person. You are my Monday role model.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It's a huge decision, life changing. One that will impact you, and a very special young girl, for the rest of your lives.

Think long and hard about the road ahead and do what's in your heart.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did'nt see it mentioned but didn't read the entire thread either.

OP, given your brother's proclivities have you verified via a DNA test that the girl in CPA custody is in fact your niece?

If she was my blood that's a huge thing. For me at least.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567