Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies that gave you PTSD as a kid :)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My youngest son was 3 or 4 when the family went to see 'To Fly' on the IMAX screen at the Cosmosphere. At the beginning of the film it is a sky shot and all of a sudden a steam engine busts into the scene with the accompanying noise. In the 360 degree theatre it looked like it was coming to your lap. I was holding my son and it scared the living shit out of him. I had to take him out of the theatre.

A couple year later I took him to see Red Dawn, about 15 minutes in I realized it probably wasn't suitable for a kid his age.

He didn't seem any the worse for it though, he's coming up for parole again next year. (JK LOL).

Rosemary's Baby was one that freaked me out.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    "Jaws" was always playing on TV when we went to the beach in the summer. It took a LOT to get me in the water for the first day or two.
    "Predator" came out around the time I went to summer camp. What made it really bad was there is some kind of fungus in western PA that glows at night. The older guys would prank us on night hikes, usually by one the them leaving the group to take a leak. He would be gone for a bit, then scream and thrash around in the woods. Then...slience. Eventually we would look for him. Some one would comment on how the missing guy must have stabbed the predator and point to the glowing fungus. The effect was enough to keep us on edge all week.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Remember the sound those alien tripod-things made in War of the Worlds? (not the original, the Tom Cruise remake).

Good clip, but that sound is at 2:31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ8kTwoTu8o

Our local garbage trucks make a similar noise. For a month after I saw that movie I would hear that sound twice a week at 5 am, I'd sit bolt upright in bed. I laugh about it now; at the time, not so much.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Event Horizon. Hated that movie and the dude cut up in "engine room". This is coming from a kid that had a personal pirated copy of The Terminator at 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    I was 5 and my grandparents made me watch "Wizard of Oz", alone, in the basement, in the dark.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Movies, or TV never seemed to bother me as a kid. I guess I could separate it from reality, even at a young age. However, the creepiest movies were those original horror movies from the 30's with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney. You know, The Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Wolfman. It may have been just that they were so old that was so creepy.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I was 5 and my grandparents made me watch "Wizard of Oz", alone, in the basement, in the dark.
    Yep, never have liked that movie. Refuse to this day to make my kids watch. Flying monkeys be damned!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    The Blob. Channel 11 in NY used to run old horror movies every night in October. Our of all the stupid horror movies they showed, this one scared the crap out of me. I was afraid to get into the bathtub for days after seeing it.

Phantasm. It was one of the first American movies I have ever seen. One of my parents' friends had a VCR and had this movie on VHS in the late 80's. I was really young and it scared the poo out of me.
    This one was it for me.

That and The Legend of Boggy Creek. Our house was an old creaky farmhouse next to the woods and made a lot of noises at night. That movie made it tough to sleep at night!

Another movie that I saw when it came out that I left the theater disturbed by was Se7en. I was in my mid 20's when I saw it and I've never seen it again. It might not bother me as much today with all I've seen since, but I remember thinking how the hell could someone even think that shit up?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Phantasm. It was one of the first American movies I have ever seen. One of my parents' friends had a VCR and had this movie on VHS in the late 80's. I was really young and it scared the poo out of me.
    Awesome flick!

The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz freaked me out when I was a kid but the movie as a whole was cool.

Jaws - when I go in the ocean, there is ALWAYS someone a little further out than I am. Mother, daughter, brother, friend....y'all are bait...

Grizzly - saw it one night at Springfield Mall and a good part of the way home was that road that parallels 95 ( Loisdale? I can't remember) heading back through Newington and back to the Mt. Vernon/Woodlawn area. This was mid-70's...
    Dark as poop and nothing but tall trees everywhere and I was a little 'unsettled' for that portion of the trip.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Godfather. It terrified me that there are people living who could live like that. That movie is one reason I could never see any glamour in a life of crime.

A movie that for decades would give me goosebumps whenever I watched it was the original The Haunting. I think part of the reason why is because my Dad, wide-eyed, always talked about how much it spooked him long before I ever got to see it. If it spooked Dad, it HAD to be spooky! But it never kept me from exploring old spooky houses.

When I was little, Donald Duck terrified me with his temper tantrums. For many years, I'd flee the room or change the channel when any of his cartoons came on.

As a kid I found most slasher horror movies a little ridiculous. I'd find myself thinking "Dad's a Marine. He would have shot him dead by now."
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast