Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: LMT Enhanced BCG , small change

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Reviving this thread to see how the "updated" LMT enhanced bolts are holding up. Anyone manage to break one or had any malfunctions? How is the "new" dull finish version holding up?

Looking to try a new wunder bolt after breaking the unbreakable S7 bolt.
    Curious about breaking the S7 Reliabolt? Was it back when they were having issues with heat treatment? Or was it one of their new black XPB carriers and bolts? I bought into the hype before I knew better but don't shoot enough to stress a bolt.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Once, at band camp, I broke an LMT cam pin. Almost 3,000 rounds in 4 days, including a few suppressed (with a regular carbine spring and bolt). At least, that's what I blame. I didn't notice till days later, when I pulled it apart to clean it. When exactly it broke, and if it worked with it broken, I will never know.

I like the thinking behind the enhanced BCG, but it is not immune to human mistakes. I expected higher QC on the kiwi contract, though.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul053 View Post
    Curious about breaking the S7 Reliabolt? Was it back when they were having issues with heat treatment? Or was it one of their new black XPB carriers and bolts? I bought into the hype before I knew better but don't shoot enough to stress a bolt.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I detailed it with pics in the long Sharps Relia bolt thread that was posted here. The thing about brittle bolts like that is you dont know when it will fail, its not about over stressing the bolt. Thats why I can't recommend S7 bolts at this time.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-25-18 at 04:46.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Here is a recently purchased LMT enhanced bolt marked MP and AC. Is this the new "dull" finish we were discussing? Because it looks alot like NP3. I never had a "shiny" LMT bolt to compare it to. Also here it is next to a Sionics bolt carrier in NP3 , the finish looks almost exactly the same.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-10-18 at 03:16.

Feedback Score
    Well that's new

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Here is a recently purchased LMT enhanced bolt marked MP and AC. Is this the new "dull" finish we were discussing? Because it looks alot like NP3. I never had a "shiny" LMT bolt to compare it to. Also here it is next to a Sionics bolt carrier in NP3 , the finish looks almost exactly the same.
    Yes, that is about what my "newer" ones look like.

To me they look more like a satin hard chrome finish.

Now the $64,000 question is: did they change because it's a better finish, or because it's cheaper?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 12-10-18 at 15:57.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Are the LMT Enhanced carriers still coming with stripped out hex slots in the gas key screws?
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 12-10-18 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Are the LMT Enhanced carriers still coming with stripped out hex slots in the gas key screws?
    I have an enhanced carrier purchased sometime last year. The carrier key screws were not stripped and the staking was on par with my Colt and BCM carriers.

I will say that the carrier key is not chrome lined from what I can tell. I ended up replacing mine with a Young MFG chromed gas key and pairing it with some of Ned's enhanced carrier key screws then staked with a MOACKS tool.

I'm not sure what noticeable difference a chromed carrier key makes in the grand scheme of things, but knowing the version I have now is chromed removes all doubt. Why they'd choose to leave out that feature I don't know but it doesn't make sense to me when every other known quality brand does.
    Last edited by Rogue556; 12-13-18 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    I have an enhanced carrier purchased sometime last year. The carrier key screws were not stripped and the staking was on par with my Colt and BCM carriers.

I will say that the carrier key is not chrome lined from what I can tell. I ended up replacing mine with a Young MFG chromed gas key and pairing it with some of Ned's enhanced carrier key screws then staked with a MOACKS tool.

I'm not sure what noticeable difference a chromed carrier key makes in the grand scheme of things, but knowing the version I have now is chromed removes all doubt. Why they'd choose to leave out that feature I don't know but it doesn't make sense to me when every other known quality brand does.
    Thanks, it's good to hear that the screws weren't stripped on a newer one. I have 5 Enhanced carriers bought in different years, and all of them had either one or both screws stripped out from the factory. I always end up replacing the gas keys because of this and it's kind of annoying for the price you pay.

Their gas keys are nitride finished so they are probable fine.

I've never seen a nitride finished carrier that had an internally chromed gas key, but nitride finished carriers aren't chromed internally either. I kind of think the whole nitride finished BCG fad is just a cost cutting measure to avoid the expense of having the parts chromed.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 12-13-18 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Bump just to update: they now list what finish they use on the current LMT e-bolts.

https://lmtdefense.com/product/5-56-enhanced-bolt/

Built from a proprietary material that is not only stronger than the standard bolt but easier to clean as well
    Modified locking lugs provide flexibility and durability in dealing with high-pressure, overgassed loads
    “Lobster tail” extractor utilizes two springs to allow stronger and more consistent extraction with drastically improved spring life
    *NOW WITH A NEW HARD CHROME COATING*

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast