Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Realistic AR home defense scenarios--things to think about

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Doc, people have differing views regarding light usage.

The thing that I think can be pretty universally accepted is that once you trigger a light, anyone that sees the beam knows there is someone at the other end.

Try an experiment - get in the room that is at the end of the hallway - have someone come down the hallway with their light on. You will probably notice that you can track them by the beam's appearance in the room you are in. In any event, the moment that person activated the light, you knew their general location. Forewarned IS forearmed.

Based on my experiences, I want to either have myself in darkness while the other area is lit up - turning on overhead lights in the room from the hallway would be an example; or have lighting equal so the bad guy doesn't have an advantage. I learned to useuse lights sparingly while searching.

As I noted at the beginning, people have differing philosophies.
    I do see your point, believe me. I'm thinking by the time the children are involved it's a no-brainer that the perp knows where you are and so blinding illumination from your position seems to be the only option left. Likely the kiddos are screaming, crying, and giving away everyone's position and the perp knows where you're at by now. If it's just you poking around silently in the dark of course you would want to maintain the stealth as long as possible.

My house is big, open and "echoing." As soon as you click the bolt of the bedroom door to open it the noise echos through the whole house. From my stanpoint as soon as I've opened the door to the master bedroom I've given away my position. My only option is to immediately cast a room-sized blinding light into the main area and hope the perp is caught by surprise while I level down on him. If he's in the kids' hallway I won't necessarily be able to hear that from the master bedroom. I've considered, "Should I sleep with the master bedroom door open?" Of course then you have to consider the fact that the kiddos may walk in on you and the missus while you're in flagrante delicto.

I'm still debating how to balance all of that.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 04-23-19 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    This thread is not supposed to be an argument about whether the carbine is better than the handgun for home defense.

We are assuming for purposes of this thread that for whatever reason you are using a carbine and we are discussing realistic scenarios for that.
    True. Sorry for getting off track. I came to the party late, and got distracted reading to catch up...

OK... we have a carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    No doubt the rifle is deadlier. But it's far more likely to be taken or pushed aside by a bad guy while rounding a corner, door way, counter, appliance, furniture, checking a closet, etc.
    We come around the corner of the kitchen, and the bad guy grabs the barrel of the weapon, pushing it off line.

1. There are ways to pie the corner where you aren't right up against the door frame.
    2. If he only grabs with one hand, and you still have two hands on it,
    A. you should be able to overcome him and get back on target.
    B. What is his other hand doing?
    3. This is why you have a sling. You thumb the safety off, try your best to keep the weapon away from you with one hand, and go to a knife or open hands (unlikely you'll have your holster on) to get control of him.
    4. You still have legs, and feet... head, elbows, teeth...

Nothing is perfect. It's a fight. It can always go wrong. You job is just to do your best to TRY to make it not go wrong.

This is where training comes in. Not just shooting, but the tactics, the openhanded skills, weapon retention, first aid, communications, planning on what to do, where to meet if you have to evacuate... bla, bla...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-23-19 at 15:23.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Doc, people have differing views regarding light usage.

The thing that I think can be pretty universally accepted is that once you trigger a light, anyone that sees the beam knows there is someone at the other end.

Try an experiment - get in the room that is at the end of the hallway - have someone come down the hallway with their light on. You will probably notice that you can track them by the beam's appearance in the room you are in. In any event, the moment that person activated the light, you knew their general location. Forewarned IS forearmed.

Based on my experiences, I want to either have myself in darkness while the other area is lit up - turning on overhead lights in the room from the hallway would be an example; or have lighting equal so the bad guy doesn't have an advantage. I learned to useuse lights sparingly while searching.

As I noted at the beginning, people have differing philosophies.
    This^^^^. I worked third shift for years at the PD and can tell you that is how I worked with lights. The light didn't come on until I knew what/who/where was going to get lit up. Walking around with a flashlight on like a kid on a camping trip is asking for trouble.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819