Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic AR home defense scenarios--things to think about

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Why do you want to be quiet?
    Why do you want to draw attention to yourself and find out the hard way if they have firearms and what caliber they are?

Why are you trying to ambush the intruder, instead of simply hunkering down, calling 911, and holding the door?
    I'm sorry but "why are you trying to ambush the intruder" sounds like some bleeding heart liberal DA talk.

From what I've been told, singleton room clearing, even in your own home, can be quite difficult; is it really worth all that risk over some property?
    How does one ascertain the intruder(s) who defeated multiple layers of security to access an occupied habitation in the dead of night is only there for "some property"? Anything in life worth doing is difficult to include insuring one's personal safety and that of their loved ones.

Movement from your own room will almost certainly be necessary if you have children, yet I don't see much point in being quiet in that, either. Assuming they're altered, they still have the disadvantage in trying to move in unfamiliar territory, possibly without much lights, so I'm not seeing the benefits of being stealthy outside of trying to punch your CONUS kill card.
    I don't see much point in cowering down to determine your local LE response time and or wait to fall prey to predators.

Again the bolded part sounds awfully bleeding heart.

ETA:

If you're separate from your children, I don't really see too much of an issue for overt push toward them; it's unlikely that the intruders know the layout of your house well-enough to even consider hostage taking.
    Someone just illegally entered the place where you and your loved ones are sleeping there is no such thing as "too much of an issue for overt push towards them".
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-26-18 at 05:52.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Moose, that response is to a year-old post.

After reading your post, I wonder how much actual building clearing/searching you've actually done? Any training from the bad guy's perspective?

Ask a competent SWAT guy, or any officer who has participated in force on force building search training who has the advantage in a search, the hunkered down guy or the searchers. I'd be willing to bet they will say the hunkered down guy.

Tactics aren't about whose dick is bigger, they are about who is smarter and more in control.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Moose, that response is to a year-old post.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted, I saw the month and day and thought wow how did this thread go to five pages without me seeing it that fast.

After reading your post, I wonder how much actual building clearing/searching you've actually done? Any training from the bad guy's perspective?

Ask a competent SWAT guy, or any officer who has participated in force on force building search training who has the advantage in a search, the hunkered down guy or the searchers. I'd be willing to bet they will say the hunkered down guy.

Tactics aren't about whose dick is bigger, they are about who is smarter and more in control.
    After reading your post I wonder as a father, grandfather, and husband if you would engage an intruder(s) in your home in the dead of night that defeated (I'll ass-u-me) multiple layers of security?

It ain't got a damn thing to do with penis size or false bravado but it does have everything to do with how much one loves their family and if they see themselves as what Pat McNamara refers to as "the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail".
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Yeah I noticed that after I posted, I saw the month and day and thought wow how did this thread go to five pages without me seeing it that fast.

After reading your post I wonder as a father, grandfather, and husband if you would engage an intruder(s) in your home in the dead of night that defeated (I'll ass-u-me) multiple layers of security?

It ain't got a damn thing to do with penis size or false bravado but it does have everything to do with how much one loves their family and if they see themselves as what Pat McNamara refers to as "the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail".
    In my particular situation yes, if the kids were home, I would have to move because I have the split-level deal.

If you are asking would I force the situation to the point I needed to use lethal force to protect property, not people, the answer is nope, absent a threat to my family I'm not stalking someone in my house - I'm calling 911 and hunkering in place.

But, I doubt that it would come to that, my GSD seems content to sit watching the door when someone approaches the house, doing nothing except kind of shivering until they touch the door, then he raises a ruckus until one of us shows him it is okay (I always give him a treat to reward him). This is not something I trained him to do, I don't know if that is innate in all GSD, as he is the first one we've owned. We just bought another pup to keep him company, so in a year or so, the bad guys will have to deal with two.

Absent a need to move to protect the family, Defaultmp3 made some pretty good points.

If it just has to do with drive to protect your family, why did you use terms like 'cowering' and 'bleeding heart liberal?'
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A few thoughts I'd like to add:

- A sling and a light is a must for a HD rifle. With a good sling setup, you can drop the rifle down if needed and keep retention in case you need your hand/s to do a task e.g. opening doors or grabbing a loved one. A good light attached to the weapon with momentary on/off is ideal.

- If you have dogs, depending on the dog they will either be barking loudly or not and possibly going to the area where the intruder is. So consider your dog/pet situation also.

- If you have a pistol as part of your HD plan, then it may be useful along with your rifle. Training is key for both.

- Practice moving around your home in low light and no light.

- Keeping your home secure with good locks, alarm system, and motion-activated exterior lights add extra layers of security.

Feedback Score
    Just curious, do those steel door jams that only let the door swing out not in, make a big difference? Seems like those and reinforced glass or bars on windows would stop most of the home robberies

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Just curious, do those steel door jams that only let the door swing out not in, make a big difference? Seems like those and reinforced glass or bars on windows would stop most of the home robberies

If the door opens outward the hinges are available for attack. Plus on a residence there is usually a storm door of some sort that would make an outward opening door awkward.

Feedback Score
    If the door opens outward the hinges are available for attack. Plus on a residence there is usually a storm door of some sort that would make an outward opening door awkward.
    Ok, thank you!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

If you are asking would I force the situation to the point I needed to use lethal force to protect property, not people, the answer is nope, absent a threat to my family I'm not stalking someone in my house - I'm calling 911 and hunkering in place.
    Just who "forced the situation" here?

Once again, how do you know the intruder(s) who have defeated multiple levels of security to gain entrance into an occupied habitation are there only for "property"?

....Defaultmp3 made some pretty good points.
    I have no doubt you think so.

If it just has to do with drive to protect your family, why did you use terms like 'cowering' and 'bleeding heart liberal?'
    Why were terms like "ambush the intruder", "punch your CONUS kill card", and "If you're separate from your children, I don't really see too much of an issue for overt push toward them" utilized in regards to defending one's self and loved ones?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    What are you referring to by steel door jams, anti-kick plates?

The vast majority of home invasion and burglary crews gain access to their victims by simply pushing in or kicking in the front door. This is due to the majority of homes and apartments having industry standard builder grade (read that as absolute shit) hollow core doors, wood door frames, and 2" screws in the door's hinges going into that thin flimsy wood door frame.

To see if your front door is hollow or filled with styrofoam simply remove the door's peep hole and you can see what the guts are made from. Simply by removing those short hinge screws and replacing them with 4"+ wood screws and installing reputable anti-kick plate folks would greatly increase their door's strength.

I also replace any door with glass windows/panels.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast