Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic AR home defense scenarios--things to think about

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Devised by a real world face shooter. This is probably the most effective and comprehensive home defense strategy Ive ever seen.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/foru...-strategy.770/
    Most ridiculous home defense strategy Ive ever seen.

Too many guns to lock up every time you leave the house or someone comes over. Never mind leaving them so out in the open someone could enter your house and have access to them while you are taking trash out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Three most common scenarios to be prepared for:

1) Break-in at night while in bed.
    2) Home invasion.
    3) Return home to robbers in your house.
    One day, a few years back, my wife's parents, the now in-laws, had left the front door unlocked WAY to often.

We came back from dinner one night, all the lights were on and the front door was wide open.

Immediately I hopped from the vehicle, hand on firearm, and headed towards the home while the car of in-laws and my wife called the sheriff.

I had never had to clear a building, and wasn't mentally prepped for it. So, I had them take the car into the wooded area and kill the lights, while I stayed in concealment where I could see the front and back door entrance ways, and we just waited. And Waited. And Waited...

Finally after not hearing any noise, any movement, for about 15 minutes, I proceeded thru the front door...

To find a hand written note from the in-law's oldest daughter...

Yup.

She had done messed us all up that night.

Needless to say, after that, I started practicing it more.

ETA:
    The good news is, I made a dang good impression on my future In-Laws. They were very relieved that someone was there to react. As much as I don't like being the "Go-to" person for the family, I would be lying to say I am not the one they call when something is going wrong or they're worried about their safety. I am happy that most of my Wife's, and now mine, family can appreciate that nonetheless. I still can't convince them to carry themselves, but, maybe someday.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 11-08-17 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have two dogs - one of them sleeps at the entrance to our door every night. A damn good alarm system.
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The best home defense is to hunker down, call the police and cover the "funnel" you have created until they get there. Home layout and location of family members will force you to create variations to ensure their safety but the basis is the same. Room clearing is not easy even for those trained. Force on force training proves this out, I received a lot of Simunitions induced welts learning this.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What do you do if you call 911 and the operator instructs you to put your firearm down/away?

That 911 call is recorded and you were instructed to do so on record (both so you don't shoot LE and they don't mistake you for criminal).

If you shoot the bad guy, you are Zimmerman... the family or criminal may have weak grounds to sue.

If you put the gun down/away... you may have well have started unarmed.

Worst thing to do is argue with 911 on phone

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    What do you do if you call 911 and the operator instructs you to put your firearm down/away?

That 911 call is recorded and you were instructed to do so on record (both so you don't shoot LE and they don't mistake you for criminal).

If you shoot the bad guy, you are Zimmerman... the family or criminal may have weak grounds to sue.

I say yes and then hang up and do the right thing. Of course, since I would never tell them I have a gun, I doubt they would tell me to put it away.

Feedback Score
    If you have the presence of mind, tell the dispatcher you can't understand every word they're saying. It must be a bad connection or something.

I don't think I would tell them I have a gun unless I already had the perp on the floor and I was covering him for the sheriff's arrival.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 11-09-17 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I say:

I fear for my life. For the protection of myself and family, I will not put my firearm down. My position is X-Y-Z, I am dressed in X-Y-Z, please instruct your officers of my location. When I see their arrival by lights and sirens, I will holster my firearm and approach with my hands clearly visible in the air.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 11-09-17 at 18:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not going to happen

or

Not going to happen

Dispatch doesn't really get to tell you to do that, and you don't need to put your gun down when you are under attack in your own home.

May not be valid in CA, NYC, HI, NJ, etc.

I've heard a fair number of 911 calls with armed residents, never have I heard them tell a person under attack in their home to put the gun down, even when they ask if the person is armed and the answer is an affirmative. I have heard dispatch ask if the resident had access to a weapon, though.

If responding LE are there, you hang up with dispatch (as they are just a middle man working on a delay) and speak directly with LE. Obviously care must be taken there and you may need to use dispatch to arrange how you will correspond with them, your exact location, etc, but if somebody is going to tell me to put the gun(s) down and I am going to do it, it is going to be responding LE in person. At most, I'll go to an exterior door, set the gun down, and then open the door unarmed.
    Last edited by Warp; 11-09-17 at 18:31.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

A few months ago there was a guy that was home alone when 3 criminals broke in. He fired his AR, hitting (and eventually killing) all three. Guy then locked himself in his room and stayed on the phone with 911 until the police arrived. He did everything right, the dispatch tapes recorded it all. There is a thread here discussing the incident.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast