Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot With & Support 5th Group Special Forces: 9/9-9/10, Rockcastle Shooting Center

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’m still short 3 RO’s for this match (both Saturday and Sunday – you can do either or both). *So I'm putting out an open call for volunteers. *The biggest benefit to being an RO is you can guarantee you get a slot in the match. *The ONLY WAY I can promise you'll get to shoot this match, is if you agree to work for me. *Please look at all the requirements and put some thought into this before you volunteer - this will be a hard match to work and a lot will be asked of you.

First, the bad:

RO's will shoot on Friday, so you need to be there early enough on Friday to shoot as well as run a stage or two for your fellow RO's. *You will be stuck on a single stage ALL DAY LONG on Saturday. *Bring anything else you might need to last the day in the field (chairs, food, binoculars to spot rifle hits, LOTS OF WATER, sunscreen, hat, jacket, etc.). *There will be three RO's on each stage, so one of you can rotate off for a short period if you need a bathroom break or something - but keep it a SHORT break as the others will be depending on you. *You will have to tell people "NO" and/or "Sorry, I can't help you" frequently. *You will need to keep competitors doing NOTHING during their wait time but standing there waiting, exactly as they ran up - they cannot take off or rearrange gear, sit in the shade, drink water or eat, meditate, etc. *You will have to keep a close eye on tired people, and may have to physically put hands on them if their muzzle is moving toward an unsafe direction. *Verifying everyone's rifle is unloaded as they arrive and leave your stage is YOUR responsibility, and is of the utmost importance. *You may have to DQ a competitor if they show up to your stage with a round in their chamber. *If a competitor shows up to the stage AFTER yours with a round in their chamber - I'm going to DQ that competitor, and then immediately call YOU to find out how you let a shooter leave your stage with a loaded rifle. *You'll need to read a short "script" to each competitor right before they shoot that gives a brief stage description. *If they have questions you can stand there and talk as long as they want, but since the stage description will be part of their run time we need to keep it as short and CONSISTENT from shooter to shooter as much as possible.

Now, the good:

You will be guaranteed a slot at the match, and will not have to fight in the bloodbath that will occur the minute registration opens! *Your registration fee is $0.00. *You get to help out a great charity and a bunch of VERY deserving folks who have already sacrificed more than you can even fathom for you. *This is your time to pay it back in a very small way.

You don't need a special "RO Certification" to work this match, but since it will be a tough match to work I'll need folks who are extra squared-away. *Preference will be given in the following order:

1. *If I know you personally and know I can count on you
    2. *If you've RO'd a Run N Gun before
    3. *If you've RO'd at Rockcastle before (or have completed their RO course)
    4. *If you've RO'd any 3-gun or action pistol/rifle match before

If you're interested, please send me an email at mstennett@twlakes.net and tell me a little about yourself and your experience. *

Sunday ROing will be much easier as you will be assigned a squad and you will shoot and move with them like a traditional 3-gun match. *5th Group will also be providing ROs too, so you’ll be working closely with them on both days.
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-03-17 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    I’m still short 3 RO’s for this match (both Saturday and Sunday – you can do either or both). *So I'm putting out an open call for volunteers. *The biggest benefit to being an RO is you can guarantee you get a slot in the match. *The ONLY WAY I can promise you'll get to shoot this match, is if you agree to work for me. *Please look at all the requirements and put some thought into this before you volunteer - this will be a hard match to work and a lot will be asked of you.

First, the bad:

RO's will shoot on Friday, so you need to be there early enough on Friday to shoot as well as run a stage or two for your fellow RO's. *You will be stuck on a single stage ALL DAY LONG on Saturday. *Bring anything else you might need to last the day in the field (chairs, food, binoculars to spot rifle hits, LOTS OF WATER, sunscreen, hat, jacket, etc.). *There will be three RO's on each stage, so one of you can rotate off for a short period if you need a bathroom break or something - but keep it a SHORT break as the others will be depending on you. *You will have to tell people "NO" and/or "Sorry, I can't help you" frequently. *You will need to keep competitors doing NOTHING during their wait time but standing there waiting, exactly as they ran up - they cannot take off or rearrange gear, sit in the shade, drink water or eat, meditate, etc. *You will have to keep a close eye on tired people, and may have to physically put hands on them if their muzzle is moving toward an unsafe direction. *Verifying everyone's rifle is unloaded as they arrive and leave your stage is YOUR responsibility, and is of the utmost importance. *You may have to DQ a competitor if they show up to your stage with a round in their chamber. *If a competitor shows up to the stage AFTER yours with a round in their chamber - I'm going to DQ that competitor, and then immediately call YOU to find out how you let a shooter leave your stage with a loaded rifle. *You'll need to read a short "script" to each competitor right before they shoot that gives a brief stage description. *If they have questions you can stand there and talk as long as they want, but since the stage description will be part of their run time we need to keep it as short and CONSISTENT from shooter to shooter as much as possible.

Now, the good:

You will be guaranteed a slot at the match, and will not have to fight in the bloodbath that will occur the minute registration opens! *Your registration fee is $0.00. *You get to help out a great charity and a bunch of VERY deserving folks who have already sacrificed more than you can even fathom for you. *This is your time to pay it back in a very small way.

You don't need a special "RO Certification" to work this match, but since it will be a tough match to work I'll need folks who are extra squared-away. *Preference will be given in the following order:

1. *If I know you personally and know I can count on you
    2. *If you've RO'd a Run N Gun before
    3. *If you've RO'd at Rockcastle before (or have completed their RO course)
    4. *If you've RO'd any 3-gun or action pistol/rifle match before

If you're interested, please send me an email at mstennett@twlakes.net and tell me a little about yourself and your experience. *

Sunday ROing will be much easier as you will be assigned a squad and you will shoot and move with them like a traditional 3-gun match. *5th Group will also be providing ROs too, so you’ll be working closely with them on both days.
    I'll shoot you an email.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow - sorry for all the * in that last post. The forum does something funny with double-spaces evidently.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There will be 49 required rifle hits, and 60 required pistol hits. I highly recommend carrying AT LEAST twice that many rounds if you're running the 5k - there's no going back to your car for more if you run out.

And the 5th Group Guys usually have no idea what they're about to walk into when they get sent out, so there will be no stage descriptions released before-hand. The first you'll hear about the stage is when you run up to shoot it. I will tell you the most difficult rifle shot will be a 10" steel plate at about 320 yards, and there will be everything from extremely close and fast to 320 yds.

I will also tell you that the shooting stages are based on actual operations 5th Group personnel have been through in the past - some of which are public knowledge and some of which are not so public. You will learn the true story behind every stage at the match - but they may not all be made public beforehand. Some of the details are sensitive and we don't necessarily want them blabbed all over the internet.

However - as a "for instance": Read through this actual description of a Silver Star award for a 5th Group hero, and try to imagine how you might try to reproduce that in a way civilians could do it in under 3 minutes. And be thankful we have people like Master Sgt. Anthony S. Pryor on our side...

https://www.army.mil/article/1662/sf...in-afghanistan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Registration opens at 10:00am sharp tomorrow morning. Below is the link for the 5k Run N Gun/Centerfire Biathlon on Saturday, September 9th.

https://practiscore.com/legion-9-11-...n-gun/register

Below is the link for the 2-Gun Match (the shooting stages only, with no running in between and no obstacles) on Sunday September 10th.

https://practiscore.com/legion-9-11-...match/register

And no, the registration doesn't work yet! Be SURE you register for the correct match, as there are two separate matches with similar names.
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-05-17 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And it turns out I lied about the obstacles - there will be SEVERAL obstacles in addition to the shooting stages. You'll crawl, climb, slide, and carry heavy things. This is gonna be fun!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    There will be 49 required rifle hits, and 60 required pistol hits. I highly recommend carrying AT LEAST twice that many rounds if you're running the 5k - there's no going back to your car for more if you run out.

And the 5th Group Guys usually have no idea what they're about to walk into when they get sent out, so there will be no stage descriptions released before-hand. The first you'll hear about the stage is when you run up to shoot it. I will tell you the most difficult rifle shot will be a 10" steel plate at about 320 yards, and there will be everything from extremely close and fast to 320 yds.

I will also tell you that the shooting stages are based on actual operations 5th Group personnel have been through in the past - some of which are public knowledge and some of which are not so public. You will learn the true story behind every stage at the match - but they may not all be made public beforehand. Some of the details are sensitive and we don't necessarily want them blabbed all over the internet.

However - as a "for instance": Read through this actual description of a Silver Star award for a 5th Group hero, and try to imagine how you might try to reproduce that in a way civilians could do it in under 3 minutes. And be thankful we have people like Master Sgt. Anthony S. Pryor on our side...

https://www.army.mil/article/1662/sf...in-afghanistan
    Wow, that sounds very cool, and should be a neat way to run a match.

A very big tip of the Stetson to MSG Pryor and the rest of his Group.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Wow, that sounds very cool, and should be a neat way to run a match.

A very big tip of the Stetson to MSG Pryor and the rest of his Group.
    Thank you, sir. I haven't forgotten about your other request. You can donate online to the SFA in general anytime. But to donate to the specific chapter than covers these guys you'll have to send a physical check to an address. I'm waiting on that address now and will post it as soon as I have it. Thanks again for asking!

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'm signed up to run the combat class. Should be a good time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I'm signed up to run the combat class. Should be a good time.
    Great! I look forward to meeting you -

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast