Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent 9mm (9x19) carbines as of 2017?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Decent 9mm (9x19) carbines as of 2017?

I'm considering getting a 9mm, 16" barrel carbine as a range toy, inexpensive practice rifle and trainer for kids ready to move past a .22 LR. I would like recommendations of what to look at. I have only a few stipulations:

-I would prefer to stay under $800, which means the SIG MPX is not high on the list, neither are the Vector HK clones.
    -Not interested in weird or junky guns, or terrible ergonomics, like current UZI, FrankenAK etc. derivatives.
    -Due to an interpretation of Michigan law, I need something that is at least 26.0" long in its shortest operable configuration. This rules out some of the folding stock carbines (like UZI) that are legal under ATF rules, because ATF measures length with a stock fully extended. (Maybe someday our state law interpretations will be legislatively forced to conform to federal interpretations of the laws they are modeled on. Someday.)
    -Currently in production. The vanilla Ruger PC9 would be an option if it were still around, but I'm not looking to pay new-gun prices for an aging discontinued used gun.

I am especially interested in comments on the factory-complete 9mm AR platforms, and some of the not-quite-AR designs like the Freedom Ordnance FX-9.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 08-04-17 at 16:11.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Beretta CX4 Storm and Taurus CT9 come to mind. Not sure the Taurus is still being made but they are $400 new on GB.

EDIT: And I cannot confirm if these are decent or not...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, for 9mm carbines I have an Oly fixed carry handle AR using Sten magazines, a Kel-Tec Sub2000 (in Sig magwell, as I can use my pre-ban high capacity CZ-75B mags in it), and the lowly/despised/ugly Hi-Point 995TS.

"Decent"? I'm afraid your ... or that from others', opinions might differ from mine ... but you did add "inexpensive".

I'll just say this, I bought the H-Pnt 9mm used, at such a low price point ... that I couldn't pass it up. It has fed, shot, and ejected/operated reliably for EVERY shot of every brand of 9mm I have ever fired through it. It has yet to jam! I will mix brands and stagger bullet types ... and it still functions 100%.

I put a Primary Arms red dot on it and bring it to the steel plate carbine range and everyone wants to shoot it. Again, for the price, it has probably caused 4 or 5 other shooters to run out and buy one as an "inexpensive, reliable and fun" 9mm carbine. Sounds like what you want! Mine is soooooo reliable I just bring myself to sell it ...
    Last edited by Lefty223; 08-04-17 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'll admit I'm biased against HiPoint, but I've read other reviews where people liked them.

How do you like the Sub2000? What kind of accuracy can you get from it? That one has piqued my curiosity before. Price is right and I could get a Glock-mag version.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The SUB-2000 is a nice gun, but with iron sights, most people have to bury their face into the bolt tube. If you are considering one, shoulder it first. Can run a red dot, but will either keep it from folding or require you to tie the bolt open (Midwest Industries mount). For me, I like it to fold... so I just push my cheek further into the tube.

The CX4 is a great carbine, even better if you have a Beretta pistol that uses the same magazines. Very ambidextrous carbine, as you can convert it easily to eject for a lefty. Last shot bolt hold open is one of those things that I wish KelTec offered... (without it, reminds me of 1960s gun technology; H&K, UZI, etc). If you do get one, invest in the SierraPapa recoil assembly. Or just make sure you never take the upper off with the hammer down (will break the buffer and/or guide rid, which puts the gun out of operation).

ARs are out there, but I'm personally not a fan of a magazine specific dedicated lower. I went with the Macon Armory D/I .45 upper on my pistol caliber carbine build, as it used a standard lower. The magazine adapter used H&K USC magazines, but they released on for their new magazines.

Not a 9mm, but worth noting.

https://i.imgur.com/ImCRuQv.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does the CZ Scorpion fit the requirements for length? My brother in law has a SBR'd pistol and it's an amazing little gun. I cant imagine their 16 inch carbine being worse.

I bet you can find an AR stock adapter or a fixed stock for it if the folding stock is a no go.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    How do you like the Sub2000? What kind of accuracy can you get from it? That one has piqued my curiosity before. Price is right and I could get a Glock-mag version.
    I like it! As the other said, the sight line is WAY lower than one is used to, so I put a red-dot on the pivoting Midwest Industries mount, which is extremely well made and flawless! You pivot the red-dot out of the way and it still folds up.

I pop-riveted 2 kydex mag carriers to the forend, each holding a CZ 16-rounder as backup.

I'm sure it's accurate, but I haven't taken past the initial sight-in of the red-dot at 25Y, just to get it on target. On the other hand, using the Hi-Pnt w/ a red-dot, friends of mine who are more pistol shooters were amazed at the baseball sized groups they were printing with it, offhand at 50-yards.

The Sub2000 is my SHTF arm and if you get one in Glock, to me that's a HUGE advantage of using the same mag as your primary pistol! It should run you $400 for one, maybe a long wait or a price premium to get the Glock mag version.
    Last edited by Lefty223; 08-05-17 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    I have had a CMMG 8" 9mm sbr'd pistol for awhile now & it has been stellar! It uses Colt style 32 rd magazines. Everyone I have has given me no troubles in feeding. The "rifle" has been utterly reliable & boring accurate out to 100yds. I suspect a 16" version would be the same. They will run right up to your $800 budget but IMHO, it's money well spent.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Tavor in 9mmP is over your budget, but is well made, uses Colt pattern SMG mags, and has been utterably reliable with all the ammo Ive tried in it.

I believe the SAR configuration makes the 26" cutoff too.

H

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast