Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal AK Pistols are on sale

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Arsenal AK Pistols are on sale

KVAR has some of the SLR-106U/UR 5.56 pistols as low as $699. And there is a seller on GB with the same pistol for $655 (just sold) but usually pops another one up.

Here is one for with a rail for $749:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677430983

SAM7k-01 for $899:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/678294389

I am not affiliated with either KVAR or this GB dealer. Always wanted an AKS-74U and started looking at these pistols when they went on sale.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I like the 106 with the rail. Would love to do an SBR off of that. Seems like very reasonable prices.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've owned two arsenal rifles. Both have front sight base canting. They just can't seem to get that aspect right despite being in business for quite some time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The canted sights were almost certainly caused by the monkeys they hire to do the conversions in Nevada. The monkey that did my 107UR rifle drilled one of the FS/GB pin holes at an angle which cracked the FS/GB. Not to worry, he just redrilled another and sent it out the door. I had to send that one back. The top cover of my 104UR rifle was received bent due to poor packaging. I sent it back to be replaced with specific instructions to call me if they could not engrave the serial number on it like the original had. Did they? Nope. They just sent it back with a new unserialized top cover. The finish doesn't match and the pivot pin looks like it was installed by a blind monkey. The bottom line is that they don't have QC and don't seem to take pride in their work.

All that said, they might not have monkeyed with the 106UR pistols because they can be imported as configured. The thing that would concern me most if whether or not they've resolve the reliability problems that has plagued the 106 series.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why is canting such a common issue in the AK world? Don't the assemblers have a jig they can work from...?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It has to do with the way they reassemble the rifles. Sure, they have lots of variety, but you get what you get - and I even got the last one through Atlantic Firearms...

After those two "isolated" bad experiences, I wrote them off. Arsenal is now pretty much at the level of Century as far as I'm concerned.

There are a few new, smaller builders that do a much better job, but with less variety in offerings. One of them is a little over an hour's drive away from Orlando. Watch Ski's reviews for more info.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Why is canting such a common issue in the AK world? Don't the assemblers have a jig they can work from...?
    Sure they have jigs, if they choose to. I've installed gas blocks and front sight posts without them. The bottom line is that canted barrel components are a reflection of not giving a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm_shooter View Post
    After those two "isolated" bad experiences, I wrote them off. Arsenal is now pretty much at the level of Century as far as I'm concerned.
    Actually, I'd say that Century's customer service is better. I've never purchased one of Century's US made AK's, but I have purchased several of their foreign made & modified in the US AK's. They fixed one and replaced the other while having a decent attitude the whole time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post

All that said, they might not have monkeyed with the 106UR pistols because they can be imported as configured. The thing that would concern me most if whether or not they've resolve the reliability problems that has plagued the 106 series.

Plagued?

It was only the initial run of 106's that had issues due to not having a low enough feedramp bevel.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-19-17 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    Both my 106UR and 106CR had bolts that were so wide they would contact the rear of the magazine feed lips. The replacement 106CR that I received from Arsenal, NV had the same issue. So the problems with the 106 series were definitely beyond the feedramp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Both my 106UR and 106CR had bolts that were so wide they would contact the rear of the magazine feed lips. The replacement 106CR that I received from Arsenal, NV had the same issue. So the problems with the 106 series were definitely beyond the feedramp.

Please don't quote this as I have to review some notes to make sure the edit is correct.

They were all made tight and depending on when yours was produced- might not have been updated to certain specs. They also had three different magazines they released which is why we gave them our feedramp bevel upgrade later when they ran into production issues. Worse some of UR's and CR's especially had grommets put in the gas ports to reduce pressure but sometimes wouldn't allow the weapons to fully cycle until removed. Your 106CR video on youtube shows what I believe was a grommet in the gas port causing short stroking and possibly the feed ramp issue causing rounds to fail to go into the chamber. Depending on when you sent yours back to them, they might not have had our upgrade specs yet and had no way to fix it.

Anyway, problem was, they never actually made an AKM patterned 5.56NATO on a stamped receiver. They never made an AKM patterned 7.62x39 either prior to that point from my understanding. They did make a 74 pattern which they later made a 5.56 variant known as the AKS74-M1A1 along with 47 patterned milled variant in both 5.56 and 7.62x39. When we asked for the 5.56NATO AKS-74M1A1, they sent out kits that were basically a misch mash of the 47 pattern 23mm barrels for milled receivers with threaded AKM pattern muzzles, 22mm 74 trunnions, 47 pattern bolts in 5.56NATO, 47 pattern carrier groups, 47 pattern rear sight blocks, 74 gas blocks and standard 47 pattern front sight blocks. Their 5.56 stamped version was likely a 74 pattern which perhaps is why the Russians clamped down on after the collapse of the USSR since they owned the patent rights on the AK 101. So I contracted Ted Marshall to build what I thought would be the closest we could get to an AK 101 at that time. He fitted together the kit using a 74 trunnion in an 84s receiver, turning down the barrel to fit the 74 trunnion, adding the 74 style gas block, hand fitting his own bullet guide, lowered the feedramp bevel, adding the Bulgarian 74 folding stock, 74 style optic plate and then basically maching/fitting the entire AKM pattern Norinco 84s receiver to accommodate the Bulgarian 5.56NATO 47 milled pattern components. Once we got the proto-type working, Arsenal took notice and decided to produce the variant calling it the SLR 106 and later a 7.62x39 version known as the SLR 107.

Here's the thing, they never actually hired us to give them the specs or address the issues that we had to work out on the prototype. Nor did they ever give us the credit for the project. I think sales would have been much better if obviously they incorporated these design upgrades on their original production run because then people wouldn't have had the issues that they did. If you get one, just be sure it is one of the newer models with the feed ramp bevel fixed, run it with original Bulgarian 5.56 magazines, hand cycle it check clearances. I've run thousands upon thousands of rounds through Arsenal SLR 106's including the original proto-type built on the 84s receiver and find them to be ultimately reliable.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-20-17 at 14:30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast