Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibratory Tumblers and Media

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Vibratory Tumblers and Media

After 20 plus years, my old tumbler finally died.

Pappabear and I each grabbed a new one. He ended up getting some of that Lyman media with jewlers rouge in it. I'd heard complaints about this stuff, but I was interested in trying it.

Below is two loads of brass that had been SS media tumbled and then one dried in plain walnut, the other with the Jewlers rouge. The rouge stuff really gets the brass significantly shinier. I couldn't believe it. The stuff is a mess and a total ass ache, but it works. I actually end up tumbling the brass a second time in plain media to get the rouge out of the inside of the brass.

Last edited by markm; 08-07-17 at 11:35.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the SS wet tumbling gives a great shine (unless the pins are dirty, then they need to be cleaned). I'll load rounds then vibratory tumble to get the sizing lube off.

So I guess my question is why do this extra step? It really looks like a mess to clean up. It's great that you tried it though, thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What tumbler did you end up buying?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How fine is that stuff? Will it pass through a flash hole? The worst feature of any media is flash hole clogging...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    How fine is that stuff? Will it pass through a flash hole? The worst feature of any media is flash hole clogging...
    I use a universal depriming die, tumble the brass in Walnut shells, then size. The sizing operation clears the media from the flash holes.
    Not saying it's the best way, but it is a way.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I dry my brass in a vibratory tumbler. I did another load in the rouge and it came out as shiny as any brass I've ever seen.

We got a Lyman and a berry's tumbler. Both are nice, but the berry's runs much quieter and has greater capacity.

For $60, the berry's unit is awesome.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't know if this would help after wet tumbling, but I add one capful of Nu Finish car polish to walnut media every third load. The Nu Finish cleaned brass comes out a lot shinier than using any of the brass preparation specific additives I've tried.
    Last edited by T2C; 08-08-17 at 18:10.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Looks nice ! I have used 2/3 Green Lyman Treated Corn Cob and 1/3 of the red stuff mixed for years and it works the best I feel & lasts significantly longer than either of the two medias by themselves. It shines up great in short order especially when they are fresh and new but even after a long time it just does a great job ! I'm to lazy to mess with the SS stuff,,don't need the extra step,,but then that's just me,,LOL I never noticed any residue from the red on the brass when they are mixed,,or if there is I don't pay attention,,LOL Anyways dam that's a great price on a decent tumbler markm,,I can always use a extra one,,will go check it out.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Anyways dam that's a great price on a decent tumbler markm,,I can always use a extra one,,will go check it out.
    I wish I'd come across the Berry's tumbler sooner. It's so smooth I can run it inside without driving me nuts. I've set it up by my press and tossed brass straight off the resizing die into the tumbler. This is with seasoned walnut that no longer kicks of a bunch of dust.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the report Markm. I am in the market of finally gathering my reloading equipment and have been trying to figure out what "starter" tumbler I should look into. I know a lot of folks love the SS, but I got to buy the other kit so I have limited funds of the bat. I will be looking into this myself.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast