Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st 1911..which one ?

Feedback Score
    I'm looking around $1K max for a reliable 1911. I'm hoping I don't need to spend $2K to get a reliable gun

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Impact, you can certainly get reliable 1911 for under $1K. You'd have to prove it to yourself by shooting few hundred rounds, but, in my experience with Colt, sample of 1, reliable 1911 can be had out of box.

It is ergos that I personally have problems with it. I don't know of any sub-$1K 1911 that would meet my needs from reliability AND ergonomics standpoint.

However, since ergo requirements are highly individual, you might be able to find you'd like.

Re Kimber Warrior: it is indeed attractive option specs-wise. My personal experience with current Kimbers, sample of 2, that chambers are tight and require reaming. Larry Vickers didn't have kind words for Warrior, but he didn't say how many bad ones he'd seen. You may want to contact board member Ed L. or search his posts in regards to this pistol.

Good luck with your search.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    i'll give the same advice the same time i see this....

if you are patient, you can get a used semi-custom gun for the same as you can get a new "bells and whistles" kimber, colt, or SA, and you will get a better gun....

1) Most semi-custom makes (baer, wilson, brown, etc.) will honor service on a gun regardless of changes in ownership

2) personally I would never, ever buy another kimber...thats a long story...

3) if you are convinced you want a mass produced gun, the SA and S&W guns are both great, and IMHO you will get more "features" on a base colt...

BUT

you can find used Les Baers, sometimes an older Wilson, RRA, what have you for in the $1100-1300 range....that is barely more scratch than you will pay for a new SA Marine Corps Operator or TRP, and it is a MUCH better gun....

you really can't appreciate the difference in quality until you own one...but its there, and significant

so thats my advice....be patient, and you will find a used Baer TRS or Wilson or something for under $1400...and you will be very happy

Feedback Score
    trio: that's a good idea. thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Impact View Post
    trio: that's a good idea. thanks.
    thanks brother...

I remembered something else...

Fusion Firearms is a new company by Bob Serva, the original owner/founder of Dan Wesson, which was eventually sold to CZ....

www.fusionfirearms.com

thats essentially a custom gun for a semi custom price...I am having Bob build me my ideal 1911, and its running me under $1900...

BUT

the best part is, if you go to gunbroker, Bob himself list "seconds" and "rejects" over there for significantly reduced prices...

for example, a mar in the stainless finish? $400 off the price

one gun had a MSH pin hole that was cut too big, so it had to have a bigger pin...literally $500 off the asking price

most of the issues that cause a reject I couldn't even see...and you are getting a gun with a lifetime warranty for a freaking steal...

i don't see any "seconds" over there right now...

but here is an example of his work...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=112241448

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't own a Fusion but I have purchased a couple of their frames for building on. If the rest of the gun is anything like the frame quality then I would have no issues recommending them to someone. Really nice stuff.

I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail that was built when Bob Serva owned the company and it has been an excellent gun so far. They have the Valor which is a really nice pistol: http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=86

I would also suggest looking at the used market for a good 1911. I see a lot of good used Les Baer TRS's on the market in the $1300 range or Wilson CQB's in the $1500 range.

For less then $1K, a Springfield Loaded would not be a bad place to start. Good entry level gun and if you have any issues they have excellent customer service.

Feedback Score
    found locally a used Les Baer TR special for $1400 ( 1200 rounds), good price ? thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That's a fair price. You could probably get them down another $50-100.

Does it have the original box, papers, etc?

Feedback Score
    I don't think I would shy away from the STI entry version either. It's called the Spartan and it is basically a Dan Wesson (CZ version) but with all STI parts installed by them and backed by their company!! Very reasonable!!!

Feedback Score
    I personally enjoy the Kimbers I own. Most of their line runs in the price range you're looking. With most Kimbers, you get a lot of bells and whistles on a production pistol. Good luck on your search.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” P.J. O'Rourke

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast