Thread: Cheapest and easest to reload

Feedback Score

Cheapest and easest to reload

Im just starting to get into AR's. I have been reloading for a few years. My question is about 5.56 and 223. Im wondering from all of you who reload which caliber is easer and cheaper to reload the 5.56 or .223??? Are the components easy and cheap to find? Im assuming both calibers use the same primers ect......

Feedback Score
    Same dies and components used.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i don't think i know of a 5.56 specific die set. I believe the biggest difference between the two cartridges is pressure spec.

i use a lee .223 full length resizing die. my cmmg 5.56 chamber has never hicupped on one.

.223 is a pretty easy and cheap caliber to reload. bullets aren't very expensive (55 grain hornady FMJBT's are around 7 bucks/100), uses common small rifle primers -i like CCI 400's. CCI has a thicker cup than some of the other brands, i haven't messed with their mil spec primers, the consensus on this forum seems to be that they aren't worth the extra cash.
    Ramshot TAC is my favorite powder as of late. accurate and clean. pretty cheap too..

www.powdervalleyinc.com

Feedback Score
    You won't find any published data for 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Reifert View Post
    You won't find any published data for 5.56.
    You can find load data specific to AR15 style rifles in some manuals.

Feedback Score
    Yes, but none of it is listed at 5.56 pressures.
    Most of that info is for high-power shooters.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everone for the advice.......

Feedback Score

Reloading for Autoloaders

One thing that might be noteworthy enough to add on this thread would be the benefits of using a small base sizer die when loading for autoloaders. Especially if the casings have been fired more than once. The small base die ensures that the web of the casing gets sized back into proper specs and can eliminate casings getting stuck during the feed cycle. They do work the brass a little more and may reduce useful case life somewhat...but in the long run they are worth the initial investment.
    Something else to think about is a post cleaning of the reloaded ammo. In my experiences Die wax and case lube can gum up and cause sticky extraction.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post
    Something else to think about is a post cleaning of the reloaded ammo. In my experiences Die wax and case lube can gum up and cause sticky extraction.
    I just clean my brass right after resizing/decapping.... before it even gets a new primer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v