Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing the home defense AR ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "Empty chamber, on safe". Since the safety can't be put on SAFE without racking the bolt. I assume you guys actually rack the bolt without a magazine in place, move the safety to SAFE, and then insert a loaded mag? What is the point of that?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum9x19mm View Post
    loaded mag, empty chamber, dust cover closed, selector on fire, hammer down.
    Same here.

I'm not sure why some guys go cocked and locked on an empty chamber. But if that works for them... great.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    "Empty chamber, on safe". Since the safety can't be put on SAFE without racking the bolt. I assume you guys actually rack the bolt without a magazine in place, move the safety to SAFE, and then insert a loaded mag? What is the point of that?
    I would think it's merely an extra level of safety so when you do rack the CH to load a round, the safety is already on, so it's extra insurance against a 3:00 AM "boogerhook malfunction" resulting an ND when your charge the gun.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I would think it's merely an extra level of safety so when you do rack the CH to load a round, the safety is already on, so it's extra insurance against a 3:00 AM "boogerhook malfunction" resulting an ND when your charge the gun.
    I can dig that. I personally don't want to have to mess with the safety. I just want to rack shoot if I wake up and O.J. is standing in my room.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Glock 22s around the house with loaded magazines and empty chambers. Shotgun under the bed with loaded magazine and empty chamber (cruiser ready). One of the M4gerys in the safe with loaded magazine and empty chamber.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aerochris View Post
    When using the AR for home defense, what is the preferred method of storing the gun? Do you leave it by the bed, loaded with the safety on? That's what I do with my shotgun.

Thanks.
    If the AR is my primary defensive weapon then yes it has a round in the chamber with the safety on and the Aimpoint on and the light checked before I go to sleep.

However I tend to rely on my Glock 19 for immediate access so my carbine is nearby... with a loaded magazine and on safe but no round in the chamber. The Glock is kept with a chambered round.

Feedback Score
    I agree with Katar. I keep my HD AR cruiser ready, but my home defense P226 has a round in the chamber with a loaded mag.

However, Glocks & SIGs have firing pin blocks -
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score
    I store my AR's in a safe. I leave my 870 14" by my bed w/ my G19. I prefer the shotgun for my home defense purposes. If I still had my kids around I'd use a 10.5 AR and a can. But by myself I like plan old fashion 2 3/4 9 pellet OO or OOO.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12