Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A2 Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake for Aero Precision M5E1 Build

Feedback Score

A2 Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake for Aero Precision M5E1 Build

I decided to test the AR-10 waters without breaking the bank, so I decided to go with an Aero Precision M5E1 build. I went with Aero's Upper and Lower receiver, 20" CMV barrel and their Nickel Boron BCG. About the only thing that's not Aero is the Radian Raptor Ambi charging handle. I am trying to decide whether I should with an A2 Flash Hider or some type of muzzle brake. I was set on getting a muzzle brake for it until the other day when I went to the range and there was a gentleman (I am using that term loosely) in the both next to me that was shooting a POF P308 Edge with a muzzle brake. I am not sure what brake he had on it but it was absolutely brutal to be in the booth next to him. The percussion from the brake was very strong not to mention how loud it was. The fact that he thought it was "Cool" to do mag dumps after mag dump just added to the experience.

Anyhow, I would like to know if people out there use muzzle brakes and if so, what brand/model you would recommend. I am especially interested in knowing if there is a muzzle brake that is somewhat milder with regards to muzzle blast/sound and yet still effective. The rifle will be used for range, self defense and occasionally for hunting. Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My only 308 brake is a Battlecomp BABC (or whatever they were called years ago).

I don't think I've fired it indoors, but the blast isn't objectionable.

I plan to try a BCM brake on my nearly done Aero M5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    My only 308 brake is a Battlecomp BABC (or whatever they were called years ago).

I don't think I've fired it indoors, but the blast isn't objectionable.

I plan to try a BCM brake on my nearly done Aero M5.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check out the BCM because the RECCE 16 is my favorite AR-15. The experience I referred to was not indoors .... it was at an outdoor range but the percussion was quite objectionable. The reason for the post was because I want to tame the .308 for follow up shots if necessary. My go to hunting rifle is a Remington BDL in 7mm Mag so I am used to recoil. I don't have a muzzle brake on any of my AR-15's but thought it would be nice to reduce the recoil of the .308 so that it is similar to the .223/5.56.

I just received an email letting me know that all of my Aero M5E1 components just arrived at my FFL so off I go. I should have the build complete tonight and at this point I will be using the A2 Flash Hider to break in the rifle. Again, any input on muzzle brakes would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A2 Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake for Aero Precision M5E1 Build

I've got a couple BCM 5.56 brakes, and they don't annoy me at all, even when used indoors.

Any brake that tames a 308 to anything less than a 243 would not be pleasant.

I have a PWS FSC 30 on a 6.8 and it works really well. I've had strangers shoot it at the range, and they did t know it wasn't a 5.56.

Last edited by grizzman; 08-15-17 at 18:45.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregBFL View Post
    Anyhow, I would like to know if people out there use muzzle brakes and if so, what brand/model you would recommend. I am especially interested in knowing if there is a muzzle brake that is somewhat milder with regards to muzzle blast/sound and yet still effective. The rifle will be used for range, self defense and occasionally for hunting. Thanks
    In general effectiveness and blast go together. Not a 1:1 fit, but not unrelated either.

Also, the most horrendous blast I've ever experienced was around someone shooting a 14.5" barreled POF 308 with the POF brake. Worse than a braked 50 BMG shot at the same range.

The PRI quiet brake seems quieter than many conventional brakes and still effective. I have one on an 18" .308 AR and it's not bad for the shooter.

The perforated-cage type devices like Battlecomp, Griffin etc. have less blast and generally less effectiveness. I had a Griffin flash comp that I tested on a 16" .308 AR. It was very effective and blast wasn't too bad. It's also 3"+ long and weighs around 3oz. Not ideal for anything you might want to carry or use for more than a minute or two at a time.

The gen1 PWS flash suppressing compensator (FSC) was very effective on muzzle climb, decent on flash, and especially brutal on noise due to a high pitched whistle effect. They have a gen2 now that has a slightly different shape, but I've only used gen1.

AR15 Performance makes a tiny little brake (SSB) that I have found usefully effective and not too loud. They also make an "eliminator competition brake" that they warn is super loud, but I have found to be less loud/blasty than many other options, at least on a 16" 5.56 barrel. You can find them at:

http://www.ar15performance.com/muzzle_devices

No experience with them, but the BCM comp and the Surefire Warcomp are getting good reviews.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're not shooting 3-gun or other "speedy" competition, go with the flash hider. A good brake is a little nice to have, but a LOT miserable to be around.

Feedback Score
    Either a bare muzzle/ thread protector, or a FH would seem to suit the majority better with a 20" barrel.
    Mostly, it's just a combination of positives and negatives for the intended use in a balance. On a 20" gun, I would more likely use more of a recoil pad as an option rather than a brake, given that the base gun has appropriate gas/action mass/etc.. among a few other things.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Almost all of my rifles wear Silencerco ASR brake mounts, but they also almost always get shot suppressed. The few that don't have suppressor mounts get the BRT Covert Comp to decrease blast and noise for the shooter (me).

Feedback Score
    I agree that there are many options available, mostly it's just finding a compromise that suits the use better overall, than selecting "X" or "Y" product blindly.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast