Thread: Tip for NEW Lefty shooters

Feedback Score

Cool Tip for NEW Lefty shooters

Ok, as an over paid professional coach in another industry and self proclaimed pro in the handgun side of this one (haha) I have always raised an eyebrow at the brand new shooters who are lefty and/or left eye dominant (I'm left eye right hand) why they start off shooting lefty?

Holding a gun for a noob is awkward righty or lefty. Why would you think for a second that "well I wipe and write left handed" that means I MUST do everything else lefty? Most products cater to righty for the obvious reason, why stack everything and have an uphill battle on a NEW SKILL your going to be learning? Crazy.

If your shooting for pure recreation and never want to carry a gun or use one in your work then do whatever, your plinking anyways. But for those of use who are contractor/mil or carry for whatever reason, it ONLY makes sense to be ambi with a pistol (backup). I am seriously left eye right handed but shoot right eye right hand. I have broken my right wrist somewhere in the upper teens, yes more than 12 times (thanks motocross and mtb) and am recovering from a recent injury as i type this. I shoot lefty and left eye better than 99% of people I would wager. How long did it take to make my weak side at least 80th percentile? not even 100$ worth of ammo.

Basically, this is a conversation for youtube or in person but if your buying your first gun for whatever purpose, start shooting right handed, if your new to something thats the best time to start. shoot a few mags left shoot a few right.

Your not right/left foot'ed are you now?
    www.instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars

Sig Tango 6 FFL 5.56/7.62 moa 1-6x24 FOR SALE PM ME**

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunsCarsBikesCigars View Post
    Your not right/left foot'ed are you now?
    Most people are. Do you feel equally comfortable kicking a soccer ball with either foot or do you have a preference? Just about everyone has a preferred side for any given activity (it may not always be the same side limb for everything); so it's natural than a new left-handed shooter will start off shooting lefty; just like new right handed ones will start with the pistol in their right hand.

So, the question is; do you make them use the 'support' side to learn the fundamentals of shooting, and possibly prolong that learning, or let them use the side they're most comfortable with, and then when they've demonstrated the basic, introduce support hand shooting?

Arguments can be made for both, and it's definitely good to be able to shoot rifles and pistols (or write) ambidextrously. Repetition is the key to instilling those skills; and probably most people can train themselves to be comfortable with either side (like most of us type with both hands).

Do you also use the same tip for NEW righty shooters, and start them out shooting lefty?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    if your buying your first gun for whatever purpose, start shooting right handed, if your new to something thats the best time to start. shoot a few mags left shoot a few right.
    I am left handed and left eye dominate but when I first started shooting it was right handed. Why? Because that was the hand dad stuck his 1911 in and given the old days with no ambi-1911 parts it is definitely more right handed friendly and I just continued to shoot that way. Fast forward a few decades, now packing a Glock I ask myself "Why the hell don't you shoot left handed?" So I started to and haven't looked back, that was about 12 years ago.

As this is a tip thread, here:
    Shooting Vision 101: Cross-Dominance
    Last edited by titsonritz; 08-30-17 at 20:04.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    it just doesn't make any sense if your left handed to buy a bolt action lefty rifle and using your left eye regardless of eye dominance. Unless you really want to and have an unlimited budget why start off when the industry is basically against you?

I can kick a football equally poorly with each foot and stand on one leg equally. Also do wheelies on bicycles with each side for the first power pedal stroke.
    Its just a thing about this industry is very focused on righties which makes sense, so when your learning something new why go completely against the grain?
    www.instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars

Sig Tango 6 FFL 5.56/7.62 moa 1-6x24 FOR SALE PM ME**

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The advice is asinine. Unless there is a cross eye dominance issue there is not a damn reason to force someone to shoot support side who is just starting out.

And that is about as nice as I can put it.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    it just doesn't make any sense if your left handed to buy a bolt action lefty rifle and using your left eye regardless of eye dominance. Unless you really want to and have an unlimited budget why start off when the industry is basically against you?
    I am left handed and I have own both right hand and left hand bolt actions, because K98 Mausers, Lee-Enfields, M1903 Springfield, etc. etc., hell even pre-64 M70s didn't come in left handed models. I'd consider a right handed precision gun meant to shoot from the bench, but for all other uses I'll stick with a left handed bolt action every time. Buying a right handed gun to shoot left handed makes little sense to me and forcing myself to always shoot with my non-dominate eye makes even less sense.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-05-17 at 13:43.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't see the problem. As a lefty I have zero issues using any firearm and those that are completely right handed and nothing can be done I just avoid. So if it we're 50 years ago I just wouldn't use a 1911.

Modern bolt action guns come in left handed versions and I own a few surplus rifles but they are more for fun so it doesn't matter how fast I reload. That being said, some are quite easy to reload. Shooting hand reaches up and over!

I don't see why how it doesn't make sense to buy a lefty bolt gun? Mine cost all of $450. I can go with a Remington 700 that costs a $100 more. So where's the unlimited budget remark from?

No, holding a gun in the opposite hand is not the same thing for a newb. If it were you would have been just as comfortable doing so with your left but I bet you instinctively used your right hand. It always feels natural using your dominant side.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk