Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting a 6.5 Grendel build.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Toolcraft coated bcg is a decent option. Use the carrier, keep the 5.56 bolt as spare for your other rifles. Just saw you got a Sionics, should be set.

Just to add my input, I'd hold off on the adjustable block until you are ready to go suppress and know you have an issue.

Love my Grendel Forum friends, but they often are building a different type of rifle. Though I've had bench Grendel's, but I currently enjoy is carbines with no reliability compromise and the advantages of the Grendel cartridge.

You can still do well out to moderate distances without exotic stuff

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Toolcraft coated bcg is a decent option. Use the carrier, keep the 5.56 bolt as spare for your other rifles. Just saw you got a Sionics, should be set.

Just to add my input, I'd hold off on the adjustable block until you are ready to go suppress and know you have an issue.

Love my Grendel Forum friends, but they often are building a different type of rifle. Though I've had bench Grendel's, but I currently enjoy is carbines with no reliability compromise and the advantages of the Grendel cartridge.

You can still do well out to moderate distances without exotic stuff
    I'm on the grendel forums as well, that's where I ordered the group buy Faxon barrel and bolt from.

So after thinking about it last night and this morning I think I'm going to remove the PRS stock from my DD and put the stock receiver extension and DD but stock back on, also I'm going to take the bipod adapter and harris and move them over to the grendel.

I'm putting the M4v11 pro back to it's original configuration, I don't need a 5.56 and 6.5 SPR rifle. Then all I'll need for this build is a stripped lower and LPK, I'm thinking a GEN II Noveske but I still want to go and look it over that my local shop. They had a couple last time I was in there and three Gen I and one Gen III.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I built a near-matching 5.56 upper to compliment my Grendel, using the same lower assembly. I enjoy the option of switching back and forth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Picked up the Noveske Gen I lower and a Noveske branded Geissele ambi super charging handle.

6.5 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm

Feedback Score
    Anyone ever have any problems with the boltface being too thin from the milling to accomodate the grendel and then having it crack?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigten109 View Post
    Anyone ever have any problems with the boltface being too thin from the milling to accomodate the grendel and then having it crack?
    No, the Bolt I bought is specifically for the the 6.5 Grendel and has a 0.136" boltface-depth

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigten109 View Post
    Bill Alexander specifically addressed this with the Grendel design. (Actually, the Beowolf design, but same was used for Grendel). Leveraged the Colt approach used in their 7.62x39 bolts early on, with a different face depth to reduce stress on the lugs. Counter intuitive, but does make the lugs stronger by moving a stress point and allowing for more meat in a critical place.

So proper Grendel bolts pretty much don't have the issue. Taking a 5.56 bolt and just opening up the face like the cheaper 7.62x39 mfgs do is marginally OK for 7.62x39, but can't handle the additional bolt thrust that Grendel has. (Higher pressure cartridge on same case head area=higher bolt thrust).

Some mfg's do the "type 1 & type 2" bolt stuff, but it just confuses everyone. You really want a proper grendel bolt (AA design, not the common 7.62x39 config) with a proper SAAMI chamber *including* the compound throat.

I've never known anyone who used a legit grendel chamber/throat/bolt who had a problem. Know of many that used the "just as good as and cheaper" 7.62x39 bolt who did. And those same types often had problems with short throats, etc, which likely compounded the bolt issue due to pressure.

When you can get any number of good, standard Grendel barrels starting at under $200, there is no reason to do something weird and non-standard. Same for bolts. Better yet, get both from the same mfg if possible. Not required, but just sidesteps any confusion on the issue.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    ^. Avoid any Grendel II or LBC foolishness and make sure the bolt face is 0.136" deep.

I have broken off the relief lug on an AA bolt, however they (Alexander Arms) and I agreed it was most likely due to using max 8208 loads with a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    ^. Avoid any Grendel II or LBC foolishness and make sure the bolt face is 0.136" deep.

I have broken off the relief lug on an AA bolt, however they (Alexander Arms) and I agreed it was most likely due to using max 8208 loads with a suppressor.
    Did you try to contact Lehigh Defense/Millennium Manufacturing, they make the bolt for AA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2nd round of parts came in today, BCM LPK/Noveske Marked Vltor MUR upper/Noveske 16.7" hand guard/ Noveske gas block with black rifle length gas tube/ Noveske pivot and take down pins.

I was going to wait until I had everything but I couldn't resist assembling the lower.

IMG_8964 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
    IMG_8965 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
    IMG_8966 by hd_rolling, on Flickr

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast